BC Boards

we went to the E vet tonight...

So tonight after dinner and playing with Ceana Chris and I went to the grocery store. When we come back I see bloody streaks all over our front window. We go inside and there is blood on the carpet and Ceana is licking her mouth and nose which are also covered in blood.. she comes over to greet me and now I am blood streaked. I walk over to the kitchen and I see a broken plate that had been in the sink when we left, now on the floor which is covered in, of course, blood! So I grab the leash stick it on Ceana and we head to the E vet while Chris puts away the groceries and then heads down to meet us. ( He had not ever been there before but I made sure I knew were a close one was when we moved here) ceana and I get to the vet and she is dripping blood on the floor... and all over me. All this time there is not even a hint of concern from her... just licking away that annoying blood. So we fill out paperwork, Chris gets there and we get put in a room... and we wait for 35 minutes. I have no problem waiting, Ceana should not be number one on their list, but of course the bleeding stops once we are admitted. We tried to look in her nose earlier and Chris thought he might have had a glimpse of something so we decide to stay and just make sure she is clear. The vet says we can put neosporin on it and boom we are out $100.00! If only she had stoped bleeding earlier we could have seen in her nose... :rolleyes: Well at least we know she is ok. The vet tech said they once had a dog who broke a plate and ate it..... talk about indigestion! Poor pup.

On a good note though teh E vet has a BC. When we walked in the lady at the desk asked me if it was Liam... when I looked puzzled she laughed and said I guess not. She suggested we get into agility out here and gave us some info on how to get in touch with some clubs, she even told us where there is a dog park with agility equipment set up for us to practice and farmiliarize our selves and Ceana... at least maybe Chris will do dishes.... ack gotta go she's started bleeding again... oh s***

Ok, she stopped bleeding again, here are some pictures 1st not so bloody anymore nose, and then the plate:

bloodynose001.jpg

bloodynose004.jpg

That is all Blood!... not even counting what the rest of the house looks like

oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! I think I would have freakin had a fit!! :rolleyes::D:D Poor lil girl!! Im so glad she's ok (mostly) That cut looks a bit painful. I know in humans facial injuries can produce massive amounts of blood. Maybe it just bled so much cause they're like humans in that aspect? I dont know.. AK Doc would know more than me Im sure.

Poor girl. I hope she's ok. I would have freaked out too. Is she doing ok now?

My dad's newly adopted BC, Abby, had a nosebleed that bled for three or four hours before stopping at all-- and then for the next 36 hours, it was off for an hour or two and then back on. It was a nightmare. She turned out to have Ehrlichia, a tick borne disease. And yes, there were MASSIVE amounts of blood. He was trying to get her to eat 18 hours later and after she was finished with the kibble, her bowl had an inch of blood in it. It was AWFUL. She went to two emergency vets and a regular vet within 48 hours.

Hope Ceana feels better soon. :rolleyes:

The face has fantastic circulation so it DOES bleed like crazy. It usually heals fast, though. Cuts like that I often suture (depending on the size/depth, which is hard to assess in pictures) because they tend to re-bleed with very minimal encouragement; it also reduces scarring. It should heal regardless, however, due to the excellent circulation.

Sorry for the scary evening.

It's hard to know when to go to the e-vet. I was just there last weekend--as I was getting ready for bed Saturday night, I discovered a fish hook embedded in Sophie's chest. We had gone swimming in the lake earlier in the day (stupid fisherperson :rolleyes: carelessly leaving hooks behind) and I never even noticed it. I tried to get it out (gently), but there was strong resistance, so I knew the hook was probably barbed. Like you, $100 later, we were home again (which was actually the minimum I expected to spend, as it is the emergency vet after all and I wasn't sure if she'd need anesthesia or stitches as well). I was telling my dog-loving-but-super-macho mechanic about it earlier this week, and he related a story about how the same thing happened to his dog, but he just ripped it right out. He took out a hunk of the dog's flesh and his dog bit him in the process, of course, but he wasn't gonna waste the money on a doctor doing something he could do himself, no sir. I sort of blinked and nodded, and felt a bit sorry for his sweet lab...

I am glad it turned out well.

I love and hate facial lacerations! Like AKC dog doc stated they can bleed like crazy. My old man got into a fight with a Golden and had his ear punctured. I was out of town and my friends with the Golden were babysitting. Obviously it was just a toothpuncture straight through the ear. But it was bleeding good according to the reports I got later. So the tried to bandage it which resulted in him tolerating it for about....20 seconds before he shook his head rather violently to get the darn thing off. The blood got flung everywhere and I was finding bloodsplatter for months later in strange places...

Last year, when Mr. Woo ate the Carpenter Ant that bit him on the way down, we dropped $400.00 at the E-Vet for some benadryl. Gah. His head swelled up like a soccer ball and it was 10pm, so I didn't think I had much choice!! It's $100.00 just to walk in the door (I think if you walk past the clinic and think about it stopping to say hello, they charge you a fee) and $50.00 odd for the actual visit. That means I paid $250.00 for Woo to get a shot of benadryl and for me to sit in the waiting room tapping my foot impatiently.

While I was waiting, a man brought in his wife's Yorkie that had apparently had a seizure. They told him they would need to keep him overnight for observation, and that he had to leave a $1800.00 deposit. "If there's any balance tomorrow morning, we will refund it." they told him. I assume they were flying the Yorkie to France for some diagnostic testing overnight, since I can't figure out how else they would spend that $1800.00.

I was there a couple of years ago with Red Dog, when that evilbastardanimalBanner ripped him open to the bone and muscle for the crime of standing in the park, and it was a busy night. Our visit was interrupted when an emergency dog-hit-by-car case came in. They were in the next exam room and I gather the dog passed away right after they brought it in because the owner started wailing this gut wrenching, heart breaking cry. Being the sap that I am, my eyes welled up and I was on the verge of bursting into sympathy tears when my then BF leaned over and whispered in my ear "I think they just got the bill."

When Piper ate all her toys last summer in a desperate bid to prevent Woo from playing with "her" stuff, my vet told me that if she didn't pass the objects in the next 24-48 hours, she would require surgery to remove it. The next day was Sunday, when my vet is closed. She told me "if you have to take her to the E-Vet, try and stall them until Monday, so *I* can do the surgery, because I can do it for a third of what they will charge you." Her "third" was in the vicinity of $1200.00.

I am grateful there is an E-Vet, don't get me wrong. And I know they have to make money too, but OUCH. OTOH, last year one of the E-Vets at the clinic committed suicide, apparently because the constant stream of no-hope emergencies he saw every night was too much for him. I can't help but think if he had been on duty when Mr. Woo came in that might have been different. There was nothing funnier than the receptionist saying to the waiting room "Mr. Woo (insert my last name here)'s owner? Are you here?" It sounds ridiculous. I should've named him something else.

Anyway, glad to hear that Ceana is fine. Those face wounds bleed like mad, like ears. Ears are worse though because the dogs shake their heads when their ears are bleeding and get blood *EVERYWHERE*.

Maybe it's time to buy a dishwasher? Or a crate :rolleyes:

RDM

There was nothing funnier than the receptionist saying to the waiting room "Mr. Woo (insert my last name here)'s owner? Are you here?" It sounds ridiculous. I should've named him something else.

Okay, all I can hear in my head as I read this is "Mr. Woo Snappy One's owner?"

:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D