BC Boards

what monthly meds do i buy?

Heartworm meds are pretty much a given, although in the northern states you can get away without year round

dosing.

Flea and tick depends on simply how bad a problem you have locally.

Even on the Texas Gulf coast I don't do flea/tick unless I have to and I have been able to stay

away from Frontline.

Guest WoobiesMom

Once Woobie's frontline is used up, I'm switching to K9 Advantix for the repellant properties. Your vet should be able to tell you what you need, but you can probably get the meds cheaper online. Alot of people here use flea/tick collars when they're in wooded areas, but don't leave them on all the time.

Once Woobie's frontline is used up, I'm switching to K9 Advantix for the repellant properties. Your vet should be able to tell you what you need, but you can probably get the meds cheaper online. Alot of people here use flea/tick collars when they're in wooded areas, but don't leave them on all the time.

I dont know if you have cats or not, but I'd advise against using K9 Advantix if you do.

Due To Their Unique Physiology And Inability To Metabolize Certain Compounds, This Product Must Not Be Used On Cats. If Applied To A Cat, Or Ingested By A Cat Which Actively Grooms A Recently Treated Dog, This Product May Have Serious Harmful Effects. If This Occurs Contact Your Veterinarian Immediately.

When my son and his wife got their two dogs, the vet told them not to even think of using Advantix or Advantage - because they have cats. It was not even a question of whether the cats would groom the dogs. It was that the stuff would be in the environment, therefore a serious risk.

So, as it came from a vet with the adoptions, I have a 2003 package with 4 applications of K9 Advantix. If anyone would like it, send your address. NC BC picnickers have first dibs.

Yeah, I use Frontline on my BC and have for all her 11-1/2 years, with great success.

I also use a really small dose on my border cat, although she is an indoor cat. Who knows what might come in on DH or me. I do have a Lupine harness and try to take her out when I hang laundry. But she sits on the back porch and yells.

For heartworm meds I use intercepter. It seems to work good and Black Jack doesn't mind taking it either. It's small enough you can hollow out a hot dog slice and stick it in there. He doesn't even know. Ha ha ha ha ha :rolleyes:

I haven't been using any flea/tick meds for now. I don't think we have many around here. Although he could probably use some flea stuff.

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh! Thanks for the heads up, I do have cats and was planning on just ordering the Advantix online. I'm so glad I found this place! I'll just go the tick collar route if they become an issue. So far, we've been pretty lucky, just one or two which died and fell off.

Guest LJS1993

Damnit!!!!!!!!!! My fiance just notified me about heartworm treatment and the fact that we haven't been treating Freckles. Is it a problem here in my region? Either way what medication should I get?

Damnit!!!!!!!!!! My fiance just notified me about heartworm treatment and the fact that we haven't been treating Freckles. Is it a problem here in my region? Either way what medication should I get?

I recommend Heartguard. Thats what I've always used, cant recommend anything else. Thats what my boss sells at his clinic. For one the dogs like it. Dont know if heartworm cases are more common in one place more than another.

Guest LJS1993
I recommend Heartguard. Thats what I've always used, cant recommend anything else. Thats what my boss sells at his clinic. For one the dogs like it. Dont know if heartworm cases are more common in one place more than another.

I'm going to see what my vet says today. I'm taking Freckles in for microchipping, so I will touch upon this issue while I am at it.

Nancy,

I'd be happy to take the Advantix off your hands, if someone else hasn't offered already.

Everyone else,

I've said this about a thousand times before, but I'll say it again. My vet uses Advantix on her dogs and has cats in the house. I shied away from Advantix for years (despite Frontline having lost its effectiveness on *my* dogs) because of the cat issue. While my cats don't actively groom my dogs, they do share sleeping space, rub up against one another, etc. I just apply the Advantix so that it is completely dry on the dog before a cat has any chance of coming into contact with it. So far, I haven't killed any of my cats, not even the geriatric ones (who would probably be the most susceptible to toxic effects of same).

And it doesn't make sense that a vet would tell anyone to stay away from Advantage, since Advantage even makes a cat flea product (which I use), and as far as I know it has the same active ingredient as the dog Advantage (but NOT as Advantix).

To the person who mentioned the tick collars (Preventic I assume), they are also dangerous for cats and should not get wet (rain is supposed to be okay; swimming is not).

J.

I just bought Advantix from my vet and they just said keep the dogs and cat away from each other for 24 hours. I'm sure they would not say this if there was a risk. I will probably keep them away longer though just to be on the safe side. I'll let you know if my cat dies...J/k

LJS1993, be sure to have a blood test done for heartworms first to make sure she doesn't have them before you start treatment.

Guest LJS1993
LJS1993, be sure to have a blood test done for heartworms first to make sure she doesn't have them before you start treatment.

Well this is what my vet said yesterday. He told me that in this valley there is no evidence of heartworm. However outside of this valley, for sure there have been many cases. He gave me some medication called "IVERHART" and told me to give it to her if we leave the valley for an extended period of time. It is good for one month after initial ingestion.