BC Boards

Possible Ear Infection

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

I think Mr. Woobs has an ear infection starting. He wasn't himself this morning, held his ear at an odd angle and threw up a tiny bit of bile, but was fine afterwards, just a bit more mellow than usual. After giving him a going over, I noticed that one of his ears is a bit crusty around the edges and I caught him digging at it a couple of times. It's a little pinker than the other one but not especially smelly so I think I caught it in time. Any tips for making him more comfy until I can get him into the vet on Monday? Of course, I notice this on the weekend!

Lenajo is right. If you don't have any ear cleaning solution, I'm sure you can get some at PetSmart or Petco.

Ear infections can be caused by different reasons. A lot are caused by ear mites. Jake had one a couple of months ago. He had a yeast infection in his ear. I asked the vet how he got a yeast infection in his ear and she told me it was a secondary sign of allergies.

So, until you can get him to his vet and find out what kind of infection it is, cleaning is your best option.

Guest WoobiesMom

Thanks! I'll go check out PetSmart for the cleaning solution. My other dog had prick ears so never had any ear issues in his 10 years. Woobie has the typical furry flop ears so I need to learn about proper ear care.

Guest WoobiesMom

Aww thanks! I bought NaturVet Ear Wash with Tea Tree Oil and used sterile gauze pads to thoroughly wipe out and clean both of his ears. The irritated one looks so much better today and I haven't seen him digging at it at all. Now I'm wondering if we need a vet visit. Maybe I'll just keep an eye on it and clean it daily. The directions said to squirt enough in to fill the ear canal and then massage it but I didn't feel comfortable putting that much into an ear that might be infected.

Your wishes are my command. I need to take the camera to the dog park, he's been hilarious there with the big dogs. They get down and roll together and he was actually spooning yesterday with a big boxer X great dane boy, it was hilarious!

Woobs & me at the park a while back:

2416438280058901875S425x425Q85.jpg

You talking 'bout me?

2260455890058901875S425x425Q85.jpg

Yes, I can hear you, but this is all the posing you'll get. I'm going for quiet and dignified.

2864411280058901875S425x425Q85.jpg

Oh fine, there, I'm looking at you! Can I have a cookie now?

2191435390058901875S425x425Q85.jpg

Guest WoobiesMom

BTW, what do you think, BC/Shepherd mix? Every Aussie owner I run into swears he has some of that in him as well. Whatever he is, he's got some great running and cutting instincts he loves to show off.

Glad his ear's doing better! Got the same instructions with the ear wash from the vet's (the ear drops had to stay in). We wicked it out with a tissue. I'm going to get fussed at here but we also cleaned it out with a Q-tip. The vet told us a dog's ear is L-shaped and we were careful.

I agree with you. I think he's part Shepherd. He looks like a cuddly ol' teddy bear!

Guest WoobiesMom

Well, I decided to go ahead and take Woobie to the vet just to be sure as there still appeared to be a bit of irritation in his ear. He has bacterial infections in both ears so he's on 10 days of antibiotics. Sure hope this isn't the beginning of a trend with him as the fees totaled $81.00.

Guess it's Ramen Noodles for me tonight! :rolleyes:

Did the vet say how he could have gotten the bacterial infections? Regular weekly cleanings should be able to keep the infections down.

I agree. I clean out my dogs' ears a couple times a week and there's been only one, maybe two ear infections in the past 20 years of this practice.

Guest WoobiesMom

She said it's more common with some dogs than others and alot depends on the dog. But also that given his ears (you see those wooly things?!?!) it's probably pretty moist in his ear canal, so regular cleanings should become part of his routine. I'd never had to clean my Airedale Rush's ears because they tended to stand straight up most of the time and he was professionally groomed regularly. I give Woobie his baths, I think he's still too skittish to deal w/professional grooming, he freaked during the ear wash and exam he got today. But the vet showed me how to clean his ear really good and said the stuff I had would be fine to use once he's off the antibiotics and he should be right as rain!

Thanks for everybody's help and tips, this board is so great and informative!!!