BC Boards

Can't Stop the rain

I am looking for suggestions for my Baxter, 3 mo male BC. It has been raining forever it seems down here! It doesn't want to stop! And guess what, Baxter does not like to play or be in the water. He REALLY does not like rain or basically getting wet. Bath time is a joy! We've tried to show him it's fun, but he's not buying it. My girls love to play in the rain and have tried to get him to play with them like they do when it is not raining. Anyway, the problem is he wants to run and play, but there is no where to go in the rain. Can't really run inside, the house is too small for his activity level. Any good suggestions for a pup who won't get wet? Maybe one day soon we will see sunshine!

Thanks,

Kristen

We have one dog like that (a GR) but my Black Jack LOVES the rain!! I guess they're all different in they're own ways. But as far as keeping him content in the house. Have you been doing more mentle exercises? That can help with his energy level. Stuff like "sit" "come" "lie down" "shake" "wave" stuff like that.

Or maybe buy him a coat :rolleyes:

Kessie and Kyla don't like it either, but they don't get asked! We just go on walks like we always do if it rains. They get p*ssed off (and from their looks, they think that it's me who's making the rain - should I be flattered? :rolleyes: ), but they normally get used to it after a while, and they do start playing then.

Jackson isn't a big fan of heavy rain, but I usually just start playing with the ball by myself or take him for a walk around the neighborhood. If it is really bad or I just don't feel like waiting the 24hr it would take him to dry we work on mental games. I kind of taught him a shell game with his toys. I line then up and teach him the names. Then once he has them down I fire them off in rapid fire "Cow, frog, fish, frog, cow, cow, fish". He hits the right toy with his paw. Keeps us entertained for a while and tires him out. But it can get a little rowdy lol!

He knows it doesn't belong there, but here. Please send it where it belongs, please.

Love,

Desperate farmer in crunchy, crispy north central North Carolina.

I'm over in Plano, and I have the same issue with Gus. He hates the rain! If it rains several days in a row, I take him to petsmart to play. It is like $19 and he stays from 7:30am to 6:30pm, and he loves it. He tries not to even go to potty outside with the rain, he will hold it for a long time. He is my prissy little boy sometimes.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I'm in Garland and my backyard is a swamp at this point. Who wants to adopt Pepper the swamp dog? He LOVES to roll in the mud puddles in my backyard!

Seriously though, if my dogs won't go out to potty in the rain, they just get to stay in their crates.

Have you tried a rain coat? When it's raining heavily here (wintertime for us) and the dogs need outside time, they put their coats on - mostly so they aren't so drenched when they come back in (for my sanity) but for my dog that doesn't like rain (the non-BC) she doesn't mind walking around in it so much.

I use the horse blanket looking ones with velcro belly strap. I think the lastest one I got was for River. Measure from neck (collar) to tail to get size, error on side of longer.

Weatherbeeta Landa Lite Dog Rug

http://adamspetsupplies.com/store/index.php/cat_63

t_item_2265.jpg

Guest amylobdell24

Mine love the rain, too! Fortunately, I just bought a house about 2 miles away from a huge training facility with all indoor rings. We used to go to Home Depot or Lowes - most of them allow pets - just check with someone before you go in. When I lived in south Austin, the staff used to love having Ceana come in & play - they would set up sawhorses as jumps, big AC ducts for tunnels, cones for weaving, and we'd end up with a crowd of employees & customers laughing & cheering her on through the "ghetto" agility course! Good distraction training, too - lots of people, big machinery, lumber dropping - it really helped Decklan build confidence - he's such a jumpy little thing. If your pup is young, though - watch the amount of impact stuff he does on those hard concrete floors - not so easy on the joints. Do you think it will ever dry out here?!