BC Boards

Tetra-paks as toys

Auca is the kind of dog that needs to be destroying something all the time. Rope toys last half a day, rubber toys are out of question and she have an extra-hard kong she can play with, but as she can't fully destroy it it is fun just if I'm trowing it, she needs to destroy!. I used to leave her plastic bottles if I were to be out of house all day so she can squash them, but recently she started to chewing them until take off little dangerous pieces that she could eventually swallow.

I can't buy her a different toy every day, so I'm thinking in cheaper options. I've felt tempted to give her Tetra-Pak boxes so she could have fun shreding them, but as they cointain layer of plastic I'm also worried in how dangerous they can be. someone have experience or anecdotes with dogs playing with milk boxes?

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I've no input on this except I found it hilarious when I read "TetraPak" because my brother-in-law works for TetraPak and their fridge is just full of all these free samples of juices and drinks he gets. I've never heard of a container actually referred to as a "TetraPak Box."

How about calling the company? Say your dog ate one and see what customer service says. I'm not familiar with a tetrapak, but I will give Gus random things to chew on just to give him something new to try. He loves cardboard toilet paper, wrapping paper and paper towel rolls. He just shreds them, not so much on the eating them. It can be difficult to stay ahead of those teeth! The bully sticks (dried bull parts) are the longest lasting thing, that is okay if ingested.

Some company had these recycled cardboard rings - very hard pressed chunks of paper, basically, that they sold as dog toys. I think you can still get them. I was going to find them for you online but the company I was sure had them is having server trouble right now apparently.

Hard Core sells a squeaky toy made from fire hoses. Annie and Missy have both proven themselves capable of destroying just about anything; but they have not been able to destroy these. The product is generally available at most pet stores and Internet pet supplies sites, as well as on eBay.

Remember I live in the other end of the world :D (and without credit card)

In my monthly budget there are rawhide bones for her to chew, but they last a day and I can buy as many, thats why I'm looking for cheap options. The kong have survived only because she can play with it supervised. Auca already has tug toys made of fire hoses, that is what I use as reward for training. We are in our third one, she already managed to eat the previous two. Believe me if I say she is a crocodile :D , think of her as a black mali. She enjoys to destroy things, I would like to have cheap and safe options of things she can shred.

The blockage advice is now in my book. Auca doesn't tend to eat stuff, but you need just a first time to end in the surgical table. I don't know about calling the company, probably is going to answer a lady who knows less than me of dogs and will advice me to call my vet. On the other hand Tetra-pak are recycled to made houses for homeless, so I'm going to be yelled by giving it to the dog instead of recycle it :rolleyes: .

Remember I live in the other end of the world :D (and without credit card)

In my monthly budget there are rawhide bones for her to chew, but they last a day and I can buy as many, thats why I'm looking for cheap options. The kong have survived only because she can play with it supervised. Auca already has tug toys made of fire hoses, that is what I use as reward for training. We are in our third one, she already managed to eat the previous two. Believe me if I say she is a crocodile :D , think of her as a black mali. She enjoys to destroy things, I would like to have cheap and safe options of things she can shred.

The blockage advice is now in my book. Auca doesn't tend to eat stuff, but you need just a first time to end in the surgical table. I don't know about calling the company, probably is going to answer a lady who knows less than me of dogs and will advice me to call my vet. On the other hand Tetra-pak are recycled to made houses for homeless, so I'm going to be yelled by giving it to the dog instead of recycle it :D .

Can you try freezing things, like peanut butter in a King, or put a rawhide in a (small) block of ice? It is so hard to stay ahead a step of our little bundles of teeth...errr I mean Joy :rolleyes:

Remember I live in the other end of the world (and without credit card)

This may not be an issue if you make a purchase on eBay. Many sellers will ship internationally, and will accept money orders in lieu of a credit card.

The idea of freezing things in a Kong, as suggested above, is a generally accepted practice. We soak some of Annie's kibble in watered-down chicken broth (low sodium, of course), then put it in the Kong and freeze it. It keeps her occupied for a little while...

Have you tried old bicycle tires or old tires from lawnmowers?

I had a bull terrier that could rip apart almost anything, but didn't take those apart.

However, don't let the dog play with the bicycle tire IN the house, or you will end up with skid marks on the walls. Just sayin' :rolleyes: