BC Boards

Maggie (Australian Shepherd)

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Yes, I think selling animals on Craigslist is kind of tacky, but who knows, could be a good little dog. I was just compelled because of her looks and the fact that she is an Aussie.

It's just that teaching a dog not to chase you on a dirtbike is easy. just yell NO! and they usually get the point. She seems like a nice dog. I had a saint bernard and a bc mix that did the same thing and it was a problem easily solved. There must be other reasons they have her up for adoption.

Guest LJS1993
It's just that teaching a dog not to chase you on a dirtbike is easy. just yell NO! and they usually get the point. She seems like a nice dog. I had a saint bernard and a bc mix that did the same thing and it was a problem easily solved. There must be other reasons they have her up for adoption.

True, very true.

Since she is an Aussie, it might be more appropriate to simply direct the ad to Aussie rescue. I am not familiar with what part of California she is in, but fortunately Aussie rescue operates on both sides:

www.norcalaussierescue.com

and

www.aussierescuesocal.com

RDM

Guest LJS1993
Since she is an Aussie, it might be more appropriate to simply direct the ad to Aussie rescue. I am not familiar with what part of California she is in, but fortunately Aussie rescue operates on both sides:

www.norcalaussierescue.com

and

www.aussierescuesocal.com

RDM

Will do. I will direct it to the socal rescue, that is my region.

I've never had to teach a dog not to chase a dirtbike, but for of the more compulsive dogs out there I can see it being harder than just telling them no. I saw some red flags -- the caps about being protective was the first. Wanting to be the only pet was the second. The one about the kids is often just common sense for many dogs as was the comment that the dog hadn't been around cats.

I would wonder if she is showing some aggressive problems or at least an strong, uncontrolled prey instinct combined with little or ineffective training. I thought it was sad and/or telling that they felt the only choice was to chain the dog or sell her on the Internet.

She may be a diamond in the rough, but there may be a number of issues that need to be worked on too. Either way, the dog deserves better than she's had in this life.

Guest LJS1993
I've never had to teach a dog not to chase a dirtbike, but for of the more compulsive dogs out there I can see it being harder than just telling them no. I saw some red flags -- the caps about being protective was the first. Wanting to be the only pet was the second. The one about the kids is often just common sense for many dogs as was the comment that the dog hadn't been around cats.

I would wonder if she is showing some aggressive problems or at least an strong, uncontrolled prey instinct combined with little or ineffective training. I thought it was sad and/or telling that they felt the only choice was to chain the dog or sell her on the Internet.

She may be a diamond in the rough, but there may be a number of issues that need to be worked on too. Either way, the dog deserves better than she's had in this life.

I'm new to Craigs List and am kind of surprised people have the gaul to basically place an ad stating they are giving up on their dog. Personally I would have a lot of shame for placing an ad for a living thing on CraigsList.

ummm.... I've done it, and been very shamed by it. BUT in the long run (my intentions were pure and well stupid ) it worked out for the best because her new owner filled a hole in his heart and she fit right in perfectly. you can reach people you never thought possible. you just have to weed out all the "idiots" and people wanting a free/ cheap dog that they will never take care of.

So personally I think its a great tool as long as it is used wisely

Guest LJS1993
ummm.... I've done it, and been very shamed by it. BUT in the long run (my intentions were pure and well stupid ) it worked out for the best because her new owner filled a hole in his heart and she fit right in perfectly. you can reach people you never thought possible. you just have to weed out all the "idiots" and people wanting a free/ cheap dog that they will never take care of.

So personally I think its a great tool as long as it is used wisely

True, it could be a good tool. It's just kind of weird advertising a dog next to auto parts and personal services. But as long as a good owner is found I guess it really does not matter what ad service was used.

I always felt that way too. That it was kind of impersonal. But I can understand when people do it with good intentions.

Guest LJS1993
Just be sure you never reply to people who advertise they want free small kittens. There was a guy who kept posting on the San Diego Craigslist to get kittens to feed to his snakes.

Now that is flat out repulsive.