BC Boards

Invader Dogs

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

On our usual run/walk around the compound I spotted two dogs who had invaded the ranch. One was a German Shepherd, pretty big while the other was what looked like a Doberman. I spotted them first while Freckles was doing her usual running around trees and through irrigation canals. The German Shepherd spotted me right away and bolted while the Doberman looked at me very arrogantly and merely trotted away. I think the Kali stick I carry must have scared them off because I know the Doberman was interested in us. Freckles saw them right when they were on the other side of the fence, outside our property about 800ft away. I thought she might bolt but instead she continued on her run. I can only wonder what might have occurred if we have stumbled right upon them at close range. Were they friends or foes? Would they have attacked or merely have been dis-interested in Freckles and myself? Has anyone here had to defend their dog against an attack?

Guest WoobiesMom

Only once so far. A very obnoxious large mixed breed lives on our walking trails and has lots of Beware of Dog signs posted. Whenever we pass, it goes bonkers attacking the fence and behaving as though it would kill if it got out. One day, it had. It charged and I only heard a very low growl before he appeared. I had Woobs on a leash and turned and put myself between him and my dog. I yelled very loud "No!" and found a large stick to pick up. Every time he charged, I stepped forward and yelled "No, go home" and he would stop, try to circle around us and charge again. In between the "No's" I kept yelling for the owner of the house - LOUD! She finally wandered out and behaved like a complete A$$ and told me to walk away and he wouldn't bother us, but every time I turned my back and tried to move away he'd charge from behind. I told her in no uncertain terms that if it happened again I was calling Animal Control and filing a complaint which I wouldn't do if she'd been a little more apologetic and proactive, like maybe bringing her gigantic behind off her deck and retrieving her flipping dog!!! I don't know what I'd do with two dogs, I'm carrying pepper spray now just in case. If they seem domesticated, I've read a firm, in charge order is best. And a lil prayer to the dog Gods, I suppose.

Guest LJS1993
Only once so far. A very obnoxious large mixed breed lives on our walking trails and has lots of Beware of Dog signs posted. Whenever we pass, it goes bonkers attacking the fence and behaving as though it would kill if it got out. One day, it had. It charged and I only heard a very low growl before he appeared. I had Woobs on a leash and turned and put myself between him and my dog. I yelled very loud "No!" and found a large stick to pick up. Every time he charged, I stepped forward and yelled "No, go home" and he would stop, try to circle around us and charge again. In between the "No's" I kept yelling for the owner of the house - LOUD! She finally wandered out and behaved like a complete A$$ and told me to walk away and he wouldn't bother us, but every time I turned my back and tried to move away he'd charge from behind. I told her in no uncertain terms that if it happened again I was calling Animal Control and filing a complaint which I wouldn't do if she'd been a little more apologetic and proactive, like maybe bringing her gigantic behind off her deck and retrieving her flipping dog!!! I don't know what I'd do with two dogs, I'm carrying pepper spray now just in case. If they seem domesticated, I've read a firm, in charge order is best. And a lil prayer to the dog Gods, I suppose.

Wow, scary, very scary situation you had to deal with. The lady had no idea that her dog would have attacked either your dog or yourself, or possibly both? You showed some good restraint because knowing myself or my fiance that dog would have received a major caneing. As for my situation I was thinking to myself, what if they both charge at me? What if Freckles bolts after them and gets in a scuffle all the while I am hobbling bad knee and all to break it up. I am calling animal control if I see them on my ranch again.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

ANY dog that attacks me OR my dog is getting kicked in the grill. period. That stupid mutt should have been restrained

I can only wonder what might have occurred if we have stumbled right upon them at close range. Were they friends or foes? Would they have attacked or merely have been dis-interested in Freckles and myself? Has anyone here had to defend their dog against an attack?

You never know. :D I think there's some sort of law against fencing in one's dogs where I live :rolleyes: , so Vi and Faith and I run into loose dogs fairly often.

So far, so good. Even the Ghost and the Darkness (red and black chow mixes, respectively), who have barked and snarled at me the entire nine years I've been their neighbor :D , run away when they see Violet. She's not a fierce dog by any means :D , but it seems to unnerve them when she drops into her crouch and stares at them. Maybe they think there's something wrong with her and they're afraid they'll catch it. :D

I have found over the years that most loose dogs, away from their homes as the GSD and the Doberman were, will avoid people/dogs who obviously live there. It can be a different story if you have to pass their house, however. :D

Guest LJS1993
You never know. :D I think there's some sort of law against fencing in one's dogs where I live :rolleyes: , so Vi and Faith and I run into loose dogs fairly often.

So far, so good. Even the Ghost and the Darkness (red and black chow mixes, respectively), who have barked and snarled at me the entire nine years I've been their neighbor :D , run away when they see Violet. She's not a fierce dog by any means :D , but it seems to unnerve them when she drops into her crouch and stares at them. Maybe they think there's something wrong with her and they're afraid they'll catch it. :D

I have found over the years that most loose dogs, away from their homes as the GSD and the Doberman were, will avoid people/dogs who obviously live there. It can be a different story if you have to pass their house, however. :D

Two Chow mixes could be an intimidating situation. I can't be too upset with the dogs though, we do have a 30ft area where developers recently tore down in order to assess our property line. However at the same time these dogs crossed into another gated property which is uninhabited at this time. I sure hope they don't claim that region and start becoming territorial about it. I think I will go back there today and look for them. If they are there, I will be forced to call animal control to get them off our property.

I don't know how Popcorn does it, but all he has to do is drop into a crouch, give the stare and rush them.

and off the dog runs. He once repeatedly ran off two pitbulls some drunk people kept siccing on us at the local park.

It is always worthwhile to be prepared for the unanticipated. To defend against dog attacks, I would suggest carrying a kubotan, yawara-bo, or sturdy walking stick. Now, before anyone goes ballistic, the purpose is NOT intended to strike a charging dog; I would never want to intentionally harm another dog, no matter what the circumstances might be. Further, a strike might actually enrage the charging dog, and make the situation worse. Rather, the item can be shoved into the back of the dog's mouth, forcing the dog back and precluding its ability to bite and clamp down. An umbrella can serve the same prupose, but people who carry umbrellas on sunny days may be subject to having their sanity questionned. At night, I switch from a kubotan to a C-cell flashlight, which serves the same purpose. If all else fails, pull the leash tight and force it into the back of the dog's mouth. Don't rely on Mace or pepper spray; some dogs are simply enraged by the spray, and become even more aggressive.

Just a suggestion...

Guest LJS1993
It is always worthwhile to be prepared for the unanticipated. To defend against dog attacks, I would suggest carrying a kubotan, yawara-bo, or sturdy walking stick. Now, before anyone goes ballistic, the purpose is NOT intended to strike a charging dog; I would never want to intentionally harm another dog, no matter what the circumstances might be. Further, a strike might actually enrage the charging dog, and make the situation worse. Rather, the item can be shoved into the back of the dog's mouth, forcing the dog back and precluding its ability to bite and clamp down. An umbrella can serve the same prupose, but people who carry umbrellas on sunny days may be subject to having their sanity questionned. At night, I switch from a kubotan to a C-cell flashlight, which serves the same purpose. If all else fails, pull the leash tight and force it into the back of the dog's mouth. Don't rely on Mace or pepper spray; some dogs are simply enraged by the spray, and become even more aggressive.

Just a suggestion...

Yes very good advice indeed. The stick I carry is a Kali stick, probably similiar to the Kubotan stick you mentioned. It's short and very light but rock hard, meant to break clavicles, knee caps, shin bones, and other bones on humans. It was a Filipino weapon. I admit though, I'm not as restrained as you are and would probably resort to flogging an opposing dog or pack. True, it might not even hurt a canine who is engraged, but I would probably act on instinct. It sucks because I would not want to hurt another dog, however if some opposing dog is mauling either my dog or myself, I would have to resort to harsh self defense methods. Shoot, I'd even try choking the dog out if possible.

ANY dog that attacks me OR my dog is getting kicked in the grill. period. That stupid mutt should have been restrained

I agree. My first responsability is my own dog and if to protect her integrity I have to harm another dog... I'm so sorry, but I'm simply acting as a good leader.

In here to have problems with strays or wandering dogs is an every day thing, you can found dozens of them in some parts of the city. I'm not friend of sticks, as I very much live and work with my dog instead of just walking them to poo or taking them to the park and she use to be with me and a diverse type of situations. What I do is to use a long leash with a metal ring or a duoble snap leash and if need arise I hit the dog with it.

I must say that I've never been atacked by a dog front to front. They usually follow us trying to bite by behind and if confronted they stand or rear, so a good painfull hit on the nose really make them think twice. And believe me, I use it almost once a week.

I would never want to intentionally harm another dog

Your points are well-taken. But please note that the operative word in my statement is "want". Like you, if the situation mandated it, I would take whatever steps are necessary to protect myself and my dogs. The fact that I own guns does not mean that I want to injure an intruder in my home, and I will use every other means available to scare off an intruder before turning to this last resort; but if it is necessary, I will not hesitate to defend my family with extreme force. The same principle applies here.

Guest LJS1993
Your points are well-taken. But please note that the operative word in my statement is "want". Like you, if the situation mandated it, I would take whatever steps are necessary to protect myself and my dogs. The fact that I own guns does not mean that I want to injure an intruder in my home, and I will use every other means available to scare off an intruder before turning to this last resort; but if it is necessary, I will not hesitate to defend my family with extreme force. The same principle applies here.

I agree Bustopher.

Guest LJS1993

Great now I think some dogs were fighting at the abandoned property next door. Wish me luck folks as I check it out for myself today. I want to see what is going on over there for myself.

Guest LJS1993
i read an ad several times about very strong flashlights being able to chase away wild animals...it might be a good 1st warning to the agressive animal. i think the brand is called surefire

No need for that yesterday Sharkie. Everything was quiet next door.