BC Boards

SteLLLAAHHH update

I am just falling in love with her. What a great dog!

I had contacted four rescues and only one replied. Although I was kind of disappointed, I know that PB rescues are probably bulging at the seams, to say the least. Plus, things happen for a reason. Why did I take another route Saturday instead of my usual route back home to PA. The route and the time - had either been different, Stella might have died in agony by the side of the road. Instead, our paths crossed and she is one happy pup now.

So before she becomes a permanent fixture in the house of collies, I found a home for her - with my daughter in NY who is getting married in September. She and her fiancee are thrilled to be getting her.

Luisa - any links that I can send them to read as first time pibble owners? Do you feel there is any cause for concern, even if the dog remains good natured, if children come along in a couple of years? My daughter plans on working with her but I would like to arm them with as much information as possible.

Thanks.

I'm happy for her, for you and for your daughter!!

My daughter plans on working with her but I would like to arm them with as much information as possible.

And she will need it, but not to deal with the dog, but with misinformed humans.

Awesome!!! This is great news!

Links, how I love 'em :D For general (and more specific) pit bull info, BAD RAP is great. Their homepage menu unfortunately doesn't begin to list all the articles available on their site --- you just have to keep clicking on one link after another, going deeper and deeper into the BAD RAP labyrinth :rolleyes:

Diane Jessup's site is another good one.

HugABull is another good site.

Animal Farm Foundation is an essential link for pibble owners.

The SFSPCA has some excellent training/behavior articles, including info for dog owners expecting their first [human] baby.

Do you feel there is any cause for concern, even if the dog remains good natured, if children come along in a couple of years?

Less concern than I'd feel with a dog of almost any other breed, to be honest, if Stella's temperament is as happy and stable as it sounds. Dogs with the authentic pit bull temperament are super friendly and far, far less troubled by stimuli or weird behavior than, say, a border collie shetland sheepdog. Toddler falls on the dog? Toddler grabs a handful of coat, or an ear, or sticks a finger in the dog's eye? Meh. A good pibble will just thump his tail happily and smile a big bully smile.

One thing I'd start work on immediately: object exchanges, to reduce any chance of resource guarding. A good family dog, IMHO, should be perfectly content to have a toy taken away. A good family dog shouldn't guard his food dish. For more about this, Jean Donaldson's great book Culture Clash is invaluable --- especially the chapter on Socialization and Aggression. When I'm in charge, that chapter will be required reading for every first-time dog owner :D

Bad Rap sez:

Pit Bulls Love Kids

It's a well known fact - Well managed, responsibly owned pit bulls are some of the best family dogs. The American Canine Temperament Test Society lists this breed as having one of the most stable temperaments of any of the purebreds, right up there with golden retrievers.

Many APBTs go out of their way to lick little faces and will wag, wag, wag their tails when they see a child. Many will let kids pull their ears, climb on their backs and, rough and tumble fans that they are, will love every minute of rugged kid-style attention.

The Flipside: These are strong, active dogs and can knock smaller sized kids down in their exhuberance. As with ANY breed, no dog should ever be left alone with a young child -- But you already knew that!

Saved the best for last: check out the gallery of photos over at The Unexpected Pit Bull. (I buy their calendar each year.) In the 2007 gallery, check out Mojo driving around in his mardi gras beads [image #23] :D Tons of wonderful photos, many of pibbles and kids.

I'm so happy for Stella and her new family!!!