BC Boards

How to keep a BC busy...?

I'm running out of ideas, folks!

I have to keep Recon still and calm and all of that, but she's allowed "normal" daily activities. I decided to teach her to shake yesterday but that took all of 5 minutes and didn't entertain her for long.

I've got kongs to fill with stuff and freeze but she doesn't seem altogether thrilled with those. We've learned several other tricks that don't require much movement...but she picks up on things so darn quick it's hard to keep up with her.

So, anyway. Anyone have some ideas about what I can do to keep her mind stimulated but her body ... not? She's being really good so far - still doesn't have that much energy, but I know it's coming and I want to be prepared.

Do you mean activities she can do on her own while you're busy (I'd love to hear more of those, too!) or activities that you can do with her?

If the latter, Daisy likes to play hide-and-go-seek and will play as long as her human will cooperate. It's a fairly quiet game as bc activities go. Daisy is told to stay, while her human hides a favorite toy in another room. Then she's sent in to find it. Sometimes she hides the toy and the human finds it. It's a good game because it's so interactive. It is amazing how long she'll keep looking without losing her focus!

I mean activities that I can do with her or that she can do while confined to her crate. She's HW+ and undergoing treatment so I have to keep her quiet - the hide and seek thing would be great but I think she'd get a bit too excited.

I'm thinking more along the lines of tricks or other things that can be done relatively slowly and nicely and just...not with lots of excitement.

What about teaching her to "sit pretty." Have her balance a treat or kibble on her nose until you say she can have it. Ceana picked that up quickly, but you can prolong the learning by teaching them to catch it.

Also, have you tried giving your dog an ice cube? Ceana likes Ice cubes better than kongs. She likes them so much we use it as a training treat. Or we have a puzzle that we got at Petsmart that keeps her busy. It is a toy that she has to unscrew to get to her treats. I do not remeber what it is called, but it is purple and looks like a flying saucer.

Good luck!

I would love some ideas for this, too! My dog, Lafitte, just had a TPO (he has hip dysplasia and is still a young pup). He just came home on Thursday afternoon and is doing well, but has to be crated for 8 weeks.

I am worried about what is going to happen when he isn't on the pain medication anymore :eek:

Thanks y'all.

Alison & Lafitte

Lafitte's myspace

I'm still learning tricks my self, but how about something like "hide" where she could put one paw over her nose?

I know how you feel about "shake" I taught Black Jack that and it took about 10 minutes for him to learn it. I thought it would take at least a day or so I'm learning that nothing takes very long for them to learn :rolleyes:

When Ari was on restrictions for 6+ months I taught her the words that go with different objects.

Some of the items I used were balls, stuffed animals (babies), phone, paper, etc. I started with one items and just kept adding things. We worked on that 3 times a day for about 10 - 15 minutes each time.

We also improved our sit, down and stand stays. I taught her to weave through my legs as I walk and to back up. There are a lot of non physical things you can teach your dog.

I know how hard it can be to keep your BC quiet and I wish you all the best. But if you look at it as a time for you to be able to do some real bonding with your dog I think it will all fall into place.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and for the list!

I've found several things to do with her and it's working really nicely. She's still a bit under the weather - though she's much better than she was that first day after, but that's just making it so her rest times are longer in between our learning sessions.

I think today we're going to re-learn the names of her toys. She had them down at one point but since we've moved and I sent all the old toys with Combat and got new ones for Recon - we have tons to learn. So, off I go!

Again, thanks everyone!!