BC Boards

Dog opens doors and locks mommy out of the house

Has anyone tried the

Scat mat?

I am curious because we have a LITTLE issue with Pete... He can open almost all the doors in the apartment... a whole 3 out of 4... BUT it poses a few issues... Like him locking the deadbolt... and taking a shower/using the toilet/"nap" time with the SO. he feels that he should be included in all of these activities... I personally love showering without a dog. or using the potty... and nap time should NEVER include a dog... unless you are actually snoozing :rolleyes: as well as he has locked me out of the apartment once when I went to the car to grab his leash.... lol wasn't funny at the time, but looking back I don't want it to happen again :D

BUT to get to the point... I am thinking maybe the scat mat might work to keep him away froms doors and off the couch... so just wondering if anybody has used them and what they think of them... and maybe willing to pass it on :D lol

I have a shadow everywhere I go.... but Hoku respects a closed door, just lays patiently in front of it till it opens and he is reunited :rolleyes: Can't help with the scat mat. But the fact that little Gussy is allowed on the couch and bed and he is not was one of the great injustices of life that poor Hoku had to deal with as a pup :D But he got over it!

Kristin, Hoku and Gussy

Or putting a chair (or similar) in front of the door/place you don't want him to go?

We had a dog that opened doors - we would either put a chair in front of the door or just lock with kiddie locks. We were going to train her out of it but it was cute. :rolleyes: BUT, that is always an option too....

I don't know that a scat mat would really deter a determined BC. Pith has opened doors in the past, but he's learned that if the door is closed, that's just that.

However, my boys can lock doors as well, and I've been locked out more than once. After the first time, I hid a key outside so I can get back in.

Well the problem is that they are handles more then knobs and they don't lock.... Pete has some how or another opened a Knob at my parents house. the only door that locks is the front and sliding glass :rolleyes: But the baby proffer thingy mo jiggers is a good idea. I might change to knobs and get some of those instead.

Sounds like you have a little trick pup