BC Boards

There is nothing better than a border collie

I have just gotten a big reminder why it is wonderful to have a dog, especially a smart dog. I've been having trouble with work for a while and just got off a conf call that went very badly. I'm so frustrated and upset that I just can't help crying. And Molly is simply the best. She will do anything she can think of to make me feel better. So that involves lots of lap time and ball throwing. I think she figures that if playing ball makes her happy, it'll work for me too.

You mean it doesnt?! :rolleyes: I've notice that if any of the family is upset all the pups try to comfort them. There is usually alot of nuzzling and nudging going on to instigate petting and hugging, along with the bringing of toys. You can never tell when a rousing game of tug or frisbee might be needed to cheer a person up. Border Collies are ready for any contingency.

Actually, the playing does help. Reminds me that there is a real life where I am appreciated... unlike my work life, which sucks so much I've decided to encourage them to terminate my contract.

Anyone need a work-from-home editor and border collie lover? ;-)

Molly definitely does her main job (keeping me sane and active) very well.

Guest LJS1993

I wonder if they can tell our moods and if we are in pain or such. Freckles has been really concerned about me limping around the house. I just had surgery on my knee and have been in some pain. I wonder if in packs they can tell who the wounded dog may be.

I think they can definitely sense our pain. My 24 year old daughter has suffered from juvenile rheumatoid arthritis since she was 3 years old and she insists she can tell what kind of day she is going to have by how her black lab acts when they wake up in the morning. She swears that if Daisy is bouncy and full of energy she's going to have a relatively pain free day, but that if Daisy is slow to wake up and get moving, it will be a rough day.

This is the same dog that acted very strange with a friend of ours a while back....kept trying to lick her in the face and to climb on her lap. Daisy never acts that way especially with someone she doesn't even know well. A few minutes later, the friend had an epileptic seizure. The dog had definitely detected it in advance.

I try not to be upset or down around Domino - he gets really upset and tries to lick you to make you feel better. It upsets him, too. Same with the kids - if they are mad about something or upset and frustrated, he's there to make them feel better. He definitely can tell what kind of mood you are in.

I definately agree they can sense pain or sickness. When I had food poisoning a few weeks ago, Riven was soooo calm and layed with me all day. No ball play, no cat bothering, just laid with me. Rohan even kept coming in and crawling on my chest. He only does that if Im sick or sad.

I know there are such things a seizure dogs, though I've never met one. I think it's amazing how they can detect an impending seizure and warn their person.

I know when I'm feeling out of sorts, Whisper does everything in her power to jolly me out of it, or just puts her nose on me knee and listens.

A few years ago I went through some extensive surgeries to treat cancer. I didn't have my dog then, but I did have my cat--and that cat just rubbed and rubbed and rubbed against the incision point (after I could tolerate pressure there). She also wrapped herself around my bald head, something she had never done before and hasn't done since.

I spent yesterday and early today feeling uncomfortable because I was prepping for a routine medical procedure. Meg was very solicitous to me - staying close all the time, cuddling in bed, and mostly looking worried and giving lots of kisses.

As soon as I came home after the procedure, she relaxed and is now doing her normal playing, barking, and silly stuff - the worried look is gone.

I've had many dogs, but never one who is so connected and so bonded to me. I don't know whether only Borders are like this, but my Meg exemplfies a close relationship to a dog..

Stuart I hope that your procedure went well and that you are feeling better now.

Poppy was bothering me for the longest time around my left...erm..boob area. It turns out that I have a lump there. They found it around a year ago and have been watching it ever since.

I just went for my third mammogram and U/S, and they told me it was still small and was stable

but that they would like to see it biopsied. Now how did Popcorn know it was there??? I tell you, they just know....

I just went for my third mammogram and U/S, and they told me it was still small and was stable

but that they would like to see it biopsied. Now how did Popcorn know it was there??? I tell you, they just know....

I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. I've actually seen stuff on TV before about cancer dogs... that some could detect the changes somehow and sniff out cancer.

Molly is more herself today as I am too. Thanks for listening.

Yeah they are wonderful about picking up on so many things that are either bothering us, or dangerous to our health.

I have to call to make the appt to have the biopsy. But I have been so busy with neuro visits and recovering from a lipoma surgery and everything else. I really need to get off my duff and make the appt.

I know they can. When I'm sad, or I'm just down about something Black Jack will just come up to me and sit/lay on me. No playing or running around just sitting. A game of ball never hurts though :rolleyes:

He has done that too. When I hurt my thumb a few months back he would hold my arm with his paw and lick it forever if I would let him. It's cool that he wanted to help it.