BC Boards

Jackson's 3rd training!

WOW what a difference a week makes! Well, y'all were right! Jackson was so incredible today! He changed direction with little insistance. He stayed behind the sheep all the way around pen. He did lie downs. He learned that "there" means something different is going to happen and pay attention. My trainer has a little 4mo old pup and she wanted to work him during one of Jackson's rests. Anyway, the pup was left outside the pen when we took Jackson back in. The little guy was running up and down the fence, poking his head through the gate making noise from the gate banging. AND JACKSON IGNORED IT ALL!!! Last week, he acted almost more interrested in the guard dogs than the sheep! He stayed on task through it all! He worked for me and for the trainer! He is so cool! Jeeze, what a great guy! We WILL go to open! LOL yeah yeah, I know, I know! But dang that dog was great today!

Sure seems silly all that worry last week! But I did take the advice to keep playing with Jackson, but on our terms, i.e. when we want to start and stop. Then they are put up!

Thanks y'all for the encouragement! It sure worked! :rolleyes:

AWESOME!!!

What you describe is called "latent learning". BOTH my girls do this, and BOY is it hard to handle, unless you know it is there. I will spend time teaching them something, and they just don't seem to get it. We "sleep on it", and the next day, they do EXACTLY what I wanted them to. It is almost as if they needed to process it. Sounds like Jackson is going to be great Just remember to take it slow, and remember that getting there is ALL the fun

Julie

Oh yeah, I know about the lows now and the highs! I guess my prob last week is that I tend to expect too much! That is my "personality quirk"! But, now that we had one lousy day and one really great day, and after talking to several people at the benefit trial this past weekend, I will deal with the lows much better! Even last week, when it was so crappy, he still got a cheeseburger on the way home!

Miz, I did do the happy dance! :rolleyes: