BC Boards

Bindi at daycare

Hi all,

Bindi went to doggy daycare yesterday and did great. I stayed and watched for a good portion of the time. She was very nervous and submissive to all the dogs in the beginning. She did the crawl and role to every dog that came anywhere near her. She would then jump up and run away. She did this for a long time. There was one little baby bulldog named Emma that really wanted to play with Bindi but she kept rolling over on top of her being submissive. It was really funny. She calmed down after a while and ran a lot. They said there was 1 dog she kept trying to play with that didn't want anything to do with her. She kept submissively trying and he kept telling her no and she just didn't get the signals. She will learn though. All in all, it was a great day. She came home exhausted and was very calm with everyone last night. She's even really mellow this morning. I'm home for part of the day today so we are going to take a walk and hang out. I am planning on sending her to daycare on the days I won't be home but no more than 1x per week.

I am glad you find a solution for Bindi and that you don't have to rehome her! I can tell by what you've written about her that you really love Bindi and the thought of giving her up weas tearing you up.

Hopefully daycare will be the solution that works for you and your family and Bindi will be your forever dog!

Use the evenings and next mornings after daycare to work on training skills that require a bit more of her attention (like stays, comes, no bite, etc) It's a perfect opportunity.

Keep the good news coming! :D

That is such a great idea! I didn't think about doing that even though I know it's exercise first and then training. Bindi is so mellow and wiped out today still. She's a completely different dog. It's been hard not to crawl back in bed for a nap with her. :rolleyes:

I am glad you find a solution for Bindi and that you don't have to rehome her! I can tell by what you've written about her that you really love Bindi and the thought of giving her up weas tearing you up.

Thanks! Yes, it was tearing me up. After having the heart-to-heart with DH and knowing that I have his support, I feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted. I'm confident again and know this will work out. I wonder if Bindi senses the stability too? It wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks! Yes, it was tearing me up. After having the heart-to-heart with DH and knowing that I have his support, I feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted. I'm confident again and know this will work out. I wonder if Bindi senses the stability too? It wouldn't surprise me.

Probably. Also just that she can feel you aren't so stressed means that she won't be feeling as much of a need to make you feel better. I have to teach Molly that the best way to make my bf feel better when he is stressed is to lie down and relax, but it is hard for her. She wants to help so much...

I am so glad that day care seems to work for Bindi despite the risks. I also hope you can get some good training with her now that she is a bit more settled.

Good luck and keep those updates coming! So nice to hear that it is going better after the rough time you had!

bex

That's great! I'm glad she had such a good time. I bet she is pretty worn out tonight. It is a great time to work with her. I hope the good news keeps coming. Great job working through the tough times too.

How wonderful that you have found a solution other than rehoming! I hope that things work out for you. You and bindi deserve it!

I did that when I finally went from 6 dogs to one. She looked so lonely, so I couldn't afford much, I'd take her an hour a week to a close by doggie day care. She was old and came home tired and she had a good time. Just some interaction with other dogs. She missed that. She was low dog on the totem pole. They are opening a new doggy park here soon. That might be a good thing for you and Bindi to do together. Maybe the whole family and you can bond more. I'm glad it's working out for you. You really seem to care about your dog.