BC Boards

My first trial

Guest pax

Guest pax

I am a little worried I will forget something crucial.

I'm ok on people stuff, I'm ok on being out-for-the-day stuff, I'm worried I will forget something dog.

What should I not forget?

I have "LOST REWARD" posters made up, I have copies of Nash's health records, I have extra collars and leads, I have bones, I have buckets, I have water. I have food. Doggie first aid kit. I don't use whistles.

I have shade thingies I can hang over the back of the car, I even have two of those stupid little fans and extra batteries.

Can you think of anything you do/have that keeps your dogs extra comfy on the road?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have "LOST REWARD" posters made up, I have copies of Nash's health records, I have extra collars and leads, I have bones, I have buckets, I have water. I have food. Doggie first aid kit. I don't use whistles.

Oh thank doG, I am not the only one that carries "LOST DOG" flyers in her car!

I have shade thingies I can hang over the back of the car, I even have two of those stupid little fans and extra batteries.

Do you have those clamp things (I know they're not really called roach clips, but those things)? That's what I use to clamp the shade stuff to the tailgate, side of the car, wherever. I move the aluminet obsessively around the van. I am getting a second aluminet in a few weeks, so van will resemble giant stove-top Jiffy-Pop.

Can you think of anything you do/have that keeps your dogs extra comfy on the road?

My dogs love travelling, and really don't require anything special. I bring a selection of brushes, as one of them always finds some prickly kind of thing to roll in (stares hard at Bear).

Um, did you remember to pack a crook?

Guest pax

*adds roach clips to her list* :rolleyes: Roach clips. I don't have any but I'm sure Engineer Boy has them in eighteen different sizes out in the barn.

No, I had forgotten about a crook. Hmm.

Crook or fiberglass rod thingie, do you think?

Yeah, the poster thing, that got started way back, because I used to horse show constantly, we'd be lucky to be home one week in eight. I just used the same old format and plugged Nash and Starr in.

Renee and Mark can tell you, my wagon is a farm truck, for all it looks like a family car from the outside. It's a pig pen and I could probably clothe four kids and their horses and a few dogs without breaking a sweat.

Crook or fiberglass rod thingie, do you think?

I use a lovely chestnut crook that my friend made. It has the distinction of being the longest crook at a trial; being Canadian, I felt it should be as long as a hockey stick. If I were a 6 foot hockey player, that is.

The fiberglass "buggy whips" that a lot of folks in training are not allowed at our trials, but I think white sticks are. Not sure, check with your local authorities. :D

So when exactly IS the maiden voyage? Lou and I just celebrated the one-year anniversary of our (my) trialing debut. I think I may buy him a wee cake. :rolleyes:

I second clippydoos to keep your screens on. Don't forget your sunscreen and a hat, and a chair & cooler w/stuff. I also have added waterless shampoo to my travel list as miss Junie always seems to find something putrid to roll in when we go somewhere. :rolleyes: I carry lost posters too. :D

Guest pax
I use a lovely chestnut crook that my friend made. It has the distinction of being the longest crook at a trial; being Canadian, I felt it should be as long as a hockey stick. If I were a 6 foot hockey player, that is.

The fiberglass "buggy whips" that a lot of folks in training are not allowed at our trials, but I think white sticks are. Not sure, check with your local authorities. :D

So when exactly IS the maiden voyage? Lou and I just celebrated the one-year anniversary of our (my) trialing debut. I think I may buy him a wee cake. :rolleyes:

Next Sunday at Borders on Paradise, in Turbotville, PA.

I looked at the running order and I see I am running against more good handlers than I can list, which oddly, has released some of the pressure I was building up for myself. Now, I feel like if I can remember to breath, and not handle Starr and the sheep incredibly stupidly, that will be enough of a success. And breathing is autonomous, for the most part, so I have a huge leg up already! :D

Guest pax

Thank you, PSmitty. :D

My real fear is that in panic about the sheep going too fast, or of not controlling something I think I should be controlling, I will be too loud or harsh with Starr. That's the big thing I'm working on. Keeping calm and doing right by the real working partner.

THAT and breathing, yeah, that's it.

:D

Your crook sounds very cool, airbear. If I had a 6' crook I could use it as a tent pole. I am 5'1.

Carson Crazies, "clippie dos" is much better than roach clips. :rolleyes:

Guest pax

Oh well, ego...I'm a 5'1 chickie who earns her keep as a crash test jockey. I am humbled by animals on a regular basis. I don't expect this to be much different. :rolleyes:

Mark, now that you mention it, Renee did tell me to borrow one, but I ditzed.

You've got a pretty good list of things to bring; but just as important is to leave any shred of self-esteem you might have developed over the years at home. It will be taken from you as you leave the post otherwise.

True that! Also, any little tricks that you have to remember which flank is which will abandon you. For example, I think of Come Bye as "coming by like the hands of a clock". First time at the post, I tried to picture said clock and all I could envision was a digital flashing "12:00! 12:00!". Anyway, only other advice is be kind to your dog, be kinder to the sheep, and if it's not going that well, there is no shame in turning to the judge, saying "thank you" and then going to help your dog.

Final note - my stick is not 6' long, but rather would be appropriate for a 6' tall person. I am 5' 4 1/2"; therefore, my stick is absurdly long. :rolleyes:

I've found it quite helpful (ok, imperative) to bring Beer :D I'm a big believer in the old 'liquid courage' :rolleyes: On a serious note, something my friend told me that helped a lot. I would get totally turned around when it came to which way to turn the sheep around the post, so, after you send your dog go to the side of the post you 'don't want' the sheep to be on. Or if this makes more sense, if it's a right hand drive, stand to the right of the post, sheep should go around to your left and conversly, left hand drive, stand to the left of the post, sheep should come around on your right. Good luck! and have a great time:)

I've found it quite helpful (ok, imperative) to bring Beer :rolleyes:

Oh, we're supposed to include those kinds of hints? OK, here's mine - the week leading up to your first trial is NOT the time to quit smoking.

I guess the only other thing that I can offer is to be the same person, inasmuch as possible, at the post as you are in your field. Your dog is in a different place, with different sheep and different draws. Adding a handler that has lost her marbles is not good.

Also, the amount of fussing around at the post to get the dog pointing at the precise angle to the sheep! My doG, I thought this was something peculiar to agility, the messing about at the start. Meanwhile the dog is getting agitated, the set-out people are getting tired of holding the sheep, and everyone else is wondering if we're going to get all the runs in before we lose light. Walk to the where the judge is, introduce yourself and your dog, walk straight out to the post, square your shoulders to the sheep, and take a deep breath!

Guest pax

YES, please, ESPECIALLY those kind of tips. :rolleyes:

Does Borders on Paradise have a rule about starting the handler's meeting with Mimosas? I'm sure I heard that was a tradition there.

Does Borders on Paradise have a rule about starting the handler's meeting with Mimosas? I'm sure I heard that was a tradition there.

Ok, I can see this trialing is something I'd like, if it involves beer and mimosas! :rolleyes:

I would get totally turned around when it came to which way to turn the sheep around the post, so, after you send your dog go to the side of the post you 'don't want' the sheep to be on. Or if this makes more sense, if it's a right hand drive, stand to the right of the post, sheep should go around to your left and conversly, left hand drive, stand to the left of the post, sheep should come around on your right.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in things--this is good advice if the sheep are not dog broke or human friendly. Many times in the novice classes the sheep will come toward the human (i.e., they are human friendly), so in that case you would want to stand on the side of the post that you want the sheep to come on (otherwise, they will come toward you where you're standing on the opposite side and be set up to go the wrong way around the post). In N/N this works because you will be setting up the sheep to follow you for the wear. In P/N it can work too--just remember you CAN MOVE around the post, so as the sheep are drawn to you, start circling (backing up) the post in the direction you wish the sheep to go and they should follow and once they are around the post you stop and let your dog push the sheep away on the drive. So my advice is to watch some runs ahead of yours and decide how the sheep are behaving toward the human and then decide if it makes more sense to stand on the same side of the post as you want the sheep to come around or the opposite side (the latter is the correct thing to do if the sheep aren't interested in coming toward you). I hope I am not being too unclear here....

J.

You've got a pretty good list of things to bring; but just as important is to leave any shred of self-esteem you might have developed over the years at home. It will be taken from you as you leave the post otherwise.

:rolleyes::D:D

Julie,

That was great advice and I'd have never thought of it! :D I'll be sure to use it my first time out too if I can remember anything (let alone flanks as those go out the window when the pressure to do it correctly is on . . .)!

Anymore tricks we should know about for our first Novice/Novice run? :D I'd love to hear them!

Katelynn *sits back with little note book and pen* :rolleyes:

Clue to remembering directional commands..... hold up both hands, and try and make a 'C' with your index finger and thumb. The hand that makes the 'C' is pointing come-bye.

Second words of wisdom .... remember to breathe. 4 minutes is a long time to hold your breath.

Third words of wisdom...... remember only your friends will be really watching you, and they will want you to be successful. They will also commiserate with you if it goes bad, so don't worry about the run, just have a good time, and be kind to the sheep. You will be better thought of if you leave the post and help the dog rather than let an out of control run continue to happen. Good luck, and welcome to the world of trialing. Marilyn