BC Boards

paper shredders

found this on another forum, with permission to forward widely.

i dont have a paper shredder, but i would never have thought about this in a million years if i had one :rolleyes:

Now - for every one of you that has a home paper shredder with an "auto on" feature, I want you to go turn it off and unplug the paper shredder right now. Because night before last I was presented with a paper shredder containing most of the tongue, ripped out by the base, and a very pretty sweet 1 1/2 year old lab cross whose owners euthanized her.

She always watched the paper go into the shredder, she thought it fascinating. The "auto on" feature means the shredder sits there waiting for something to get placed into it. Like an inquisitive tongue.

I told them, "Dogs can do fine without a tongue, they have to learn to drink and eat differently", but the owners didn't want to go there. The look in her eyes said, "I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't supposed to do that, it's all my fault". We all cried.

I cried when I read this, myself. In subsequent posts Beth says she has learned that dogs who have lost more than half their tongues

*don't* do as well as she had been taught. According to the veterinary literature it is also possible for animals to be injured other places than tongues

- a Basset

lost an ear, a long-haired cat most of the skin on its side, a kitten a foot, > etc.

She didn't mention any human injuries, but I can't imagine that a toddler would be immune from either curiosity or injury.

You have to turn mine on first. I looked for one specifically that had that feature. Honestly didn't think of the dogs, but had a kitten and two young boys at the time. It does sit unplugged most of the time. Most of our mail sits in piles around the house - the shredder was purchased in a burst of organizational fervor that died before full maturation. :rolleyes:

I have one with an auto feature on it, but you have to turn it on to auto. It stays in the off position, and unplugged, for that very reason - I was worried one of the dogs might accidently get a tail in it, or stick a tongue in it. Then again, our mail lays in piles like Beccas. My piles are bigger tho.

I have one with an auto feature, but we shredded to much paper once a broke it so it doesn't shred anything. So now it just sits there like any other trashcan.

I always was scared that the shih tzus hair would get caught in it (didn't have long border collie tongues at the time) - I guess I was right to worry about that. :rolleyes:

That's horrifying and so sad. Several years ago, there was a BC who lost half of her tongue in a paper shredder. Her owners didn't plan on euthanizing her, but it was too early to tell how she would fare over the long run. I never heard an update on how she was doing. Anyway, ours has an auto-on feature also. Ever since I heard about the BC who got her toungue caught not only is the shredder turned off, it remains unplugged unless we are actually using it.

Makes me glad i burn instead of shred. Yes i have admitted it before, i have a lil pyro living in my head! :eek: So when i have to burn yard waste, i start with all the papers i have "saved up". Also makes it alot easier to start campfires.

I never thought of the dangers of a shredder.