BC Boards

The whole Collar and tag thing.

Oh right thankyou, you can get a fair bit of info on them then, Holly had two when she was younger clanging together ( the other had the microchip she had), we have been looking for something better than she has now so we can get the chip info on too. :rolleyes:

I just got done ordering a collar from earthdogs and tags from boomerang tags. I will be ordering another collar in about 2 weeks and another tag so i have to after i get him chipped so i can put the info on there and all.

I'm going to have to check out the Boomerang tags. Right now Black Jack has two tags on, one has a silencer on it. Not that I mind the clinking (I can tell where he is, lol) But I'm going to buy him a new collar and probably tags, so I'm going to look into those. Thanks for the link Luisa.

I have boomerang tags on all my collars which are all rolled leather. River has a very thin 14" one and it uses the mini slide on, while Diesel has a bit wider 18" one and uses the medium slide-on - which says it won't fit a rolled leather, but IT DOES it's just a nice snug fit on the leather thickness. Jaida has the large slide on. I don't like the ones for adjustable collars to use for the rolled leather collars - they are just to arched for my taste.

I have their name, my cellphone, house phone and county license number on the boomerangs.

THEN my dogs also wear a hang tag with a paw print design the hangs FORWARD (not sideways) so is REALLY quiet - nearly silent and that has their Name & my cellphone only on it.

So just in case their hang tag comes off, the boomerang is still there - but I like the hang tag too in case people don't really look at the collar for the boomerang. I want my dog back as FAST as possible.

All my dogs are microchipped.

None of them wear rabies, vet, or microchip tags. My cell number is on there. If my dog needs anything, it's me first. All other info can come from me. County tags are technically required and since we frequent the dog park where technically someone might actually check to see if they wear it, I have it on the boomerang. I'll play dumb and assume that's good enough.

There is NO WAY I would let my dogs go around without collars on just because they are microchipped. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who really know nothing about chipping. I'd be much too afraid of someone keeping my dog because they didn't know to have the dog checked for a chip - and a vet isn't going to check unless you ask. I also think it would be less traumatic for my dog if the person knew my dog's name. If they are going to keep my dog they are going to keep it, not just because they know its name.

I like rolled leather collars because they don't break the neck hairs, so when my dogs have their collars off (nearly never, lol) they look like they have never worn a collar before. They also wear really well, don't get smelly, aren't too bulky, would technically break if dog got stuck, and on River & Jaida esp since they have a lot of rough on their necks, it doesn't even look like they wear a collar because it moves under the fur. Only the hang tag sticks out front.

On a side note, when we go to agility trials, I'm going to purchase a nylon clip on collar with a hang tag for using when my dog is not in the ring (ie crated). Buckling the leather collar on and off at our first trial was amazingly annoying. I guess I have a thing about my dog being ID'd all the time.

Once, I lost a dog for several hours. I called and called and walked through the neighboring woods. I started up the motox bike and rode that around (dog couldn't resist running with it). No dog. I took my kids to soccer practice and when I got home, went to look again. I went up my road and across the other street, I saw my dog run across the driveway of the house there (was the only view into the property). I went up the driveway to fetch my dog who was playing with the other dog that lived there. A man came out and said he was just getting ready to feed my dog. My solid bright red, less hairy then River dog was wearing a brown rolled leather collar and a brass tag with my cell number on it. THE MAN DID NOT EVEN LOOK OR CARE TO NOTICE IT!! Could have saved me hours of anguish. :rolleyes:

Boomerang tags rock, every collar in our house (except for Dakota's, which are the rolled leather type) has one on it.

Here's a pic of Diesel's collar taken w/ my laptop camera. You can see the slide boomerang has some space as it's a bit wider then his collar, but it fits the thickness PERFECTLY (they say it won't). His collar is the black rolled leather from petsmart and 3/4 inch wide in the flat part. You can also see the tag that faces front instead of doing that side angle approach. I got the tag off ebay which they still sell.

collar.jpg

Buzz has a number of different collars; I like to use a martingale for most activities, but sometimes prefer a buckle collar or a quick-release. He's always collarless when crated and usually collarless in the house. All of his collars have a tag that says "If I'm alone, I'm lost. Please call my family." and then list my phone number. In my city, he's required to wear his dog license, but because I switch his collar often and I don't like the noise of multiple tags, I just keep his license on my key ring, so far, we haven't been arrested!

Boomerang collar tags are very nice.

I have also had great success buying tags from eBay for less than $2 a piece.

this seller does nice, deep engraving

http://myworld.ebay.com/gemini_airis/

Due to Ouzo's very hairy neck/ruff and to the 99 cent plastic silencer that goes around his name/address/phone# tag, there's almost no noise coming out of his tags (he has three !). Annual rabies tag is required in Denver. He also has the Home Again plastic tag, just to be sure.

You cannot even see his collar due to the massive fur around his neck, so if someone wouldn't know to look for a boomerang tag, they would certaintly miss it....

I bought him a new flea collar today, which is reflective of light, and surprise, it instantly disapeared in the sea of hair surrounding his neck. Lots of good that reflectivness did :rolleyes:

I wanted to buy him a new collar, then decided there's absolutly no need, no one can see it, and the black nylon buckle one he's had for 1 year is as good as new. If he had a less harry neck, maybe it would be worth it....

I just ordered a leather collar off the gundog site with the ID plate attached. I absolutely hate all the jangly noise the 4 tags make that Spirit has on now. So, it will get rid of his ID tag. Once I leave Fargo I won't need his city tag anymore so all he'll have left are his microchip tag and rabies tag. If I had been smart I would have added "Microchipped" to the ID plate, so I may just order a new ID plate from their website and add that on their too. The noise drives me insane so Spirit never has his collar on when he's indoors. It is always replaced before I head outside.

As others have already stated, the Boomerang tags are the best! I love the plastic ones. They are a great quality and a great price. You can have both sides engraved also, which is nice. I put my info and a second contact on the front and the microchip number and 1-800 number for the microchip company on the back because they have more detailed info.

One more thing - I never put my address because there is a lot of dog theft out here. If somebody with ill intentions wanted to find my dogs they could just read the tag and come steal them from my home. I guess they could find me somehow anyway nowadays, but it is a little bit of a precaution.

I got my hemp collar today and its great :rolleyes:, now i need to wait tell i get him chipped and all then i can order 1 more tag and then he will have everything needed as in collar and tags and i will also be getting another hemp collar in a few weeks.

I just recently purchased some collars for my dogs on ebay Australia. I thought they were a great idea. Basically they're a nylon collar (yr choice of colour) and then the woman who sells them embroiders yr dogs name & contact phone number onto the collar. They really do look good and takes away the worry of a tag falling off the collar and being lost.