BC Boards

First agility trial in April

The weekend of April 21/22 River and I will both be entering our first agility trial. It's a CPE trial and we'll be doing level 1 which is no weaves or teeter. Which is perfect since those are the 2 things she can't do yet. CPE is all about games and we've entered 7 of the 8 offered. We are skipping Jackpot because it requires the handler to stand behind a line and direct their dog. River has only recently started working on distance and I'd hate to set her up for failure. But the rest of the games sound like fun and are mostly handler brain taxing, lol.

I've been training in agility for just over 2 years now between 3 different dogs. River will have been 'officially' training 1 year in July, but of course I started her in the basics (touch, target, etc) since I got her at 8 wks. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming the DH will be attending so I should have pictures and maybe MAYBE a video. The trial is only 3 miles from my house :D

Question: Since at the trial she qualifies jump 16 but trains 20, should I have her jump 16 in class for the weeks leading up to the trail? And/or should I have her jump 20 at CPE, it's my choice. Of note, in every other club she will be required to jump 20.

River is 19.5".

CPE 16-20" dogs jump 16"

CPE 20-24" dogs jump 20"

Question: Since at the trial she qualifies jump 16 but trains 20, should I have her jump 16 in class for the weeks leading up to the trail? And/or should I have her jump 20 at CPE, it's my choice. Of note, in every other club she will be required to jump 20.

I would have her jump 20". I think 16" is too low for a 19.5" dog and it changes how they approach jumps. I've seen dogs who spent a long time at a low height develop a flat jumping technique, and then when you put them back to a higher height, they crash everything. For some dogs, this can be a confidence-buster, as you've really changed the criteria for them (sometimes you can jump flat, other times, the jumps will be higher and they will smack into you if you jump flat). Just my opinion - I never practice with Wick at anything below 22", and sometimes we'll spend a session at 26", just to keep her honest. She's about the same height as River.

Also, HAVE FUN! First trial - woot woot! Hopefully DH will be able to video the maiden voyage! And Diesel looks fantastic in your siggy pic. :rolleyes:

I try to train at the height I trial, but thats just a personal preference. I would raise the bars to her required jumping height for a class or two at least so she knows and understands how to approach a higher jump. My aussie competes at 22 and trains at 20 during the off season, as it comes closer to trials season I up the height varying between 22 and 26 as Airbear said "just to keep him honest"

I have to agree with Airbear as well - 20" sounds like the best way to go for a dog that height, especially since you'll be at 20" everywhere else. My IG is a 12" dog in NADAC and a 16" dog in CPE - I'm thinking of just sticking to 16" in all organizations, which is what we tend to train at home(She's more than capable of it and being an IG, it doesn't make much of a difference anyway). :rolleyes:

And of course, have a blast! CPE is such great fun and the perfect way to start out - Sierra, too, still needed work on the teeter when we began trialing but we were still able to go ahead gain that experience. Best of luck! :D

Yay for River!!

We are trialing that weekend too....

I want VIDEO of the little star running! Lots of luck for her first time out!

I have to disagree about jumping her at 20. At a dog's first trial that is VERY different than trials later in their career. There is a TON of stress (whether you want it or not, it is there, it can't be helped) at a dog's first ever trial. Even "Perfect" dogs in training can just shutdown in the ring no matter how much proofing you have done. It is VERY different and jumping lower (IMO) is just one more thing that the dog doesn't have to worry about as much. If Riven truly knows how to jump, than a lower height at a trial wouldn't effect her at all and would be good for her ego. Jumping low at a dog's first trial is the advice I will give to anyone and is what I did/do with Dazzle.

Also, I don't agree with only jumping at a certain height in training. With Daz, sometimes I will set a jump at 20-22, while other in the same course may be 16" 12" or even 4". When you only jump one height the dog is just (remember, this is MY opinion) patterned trained to jump that high no matter where the jump really is set - to some extent anyway - , the conditions of the ground, or many other variables. Instead, I am always jumping crazy heights that Dazzle would never seen in competition. That way, she really learned how to handle each jump as its own thing, not that jumps should all be performed the same way. She can easily and quickly change her jumping style for each individual jump on a course (which is good, because there are many other things that impact their jumping than just the height of the bar). She is very reliable at jumping, no matter the height. So by all means, in training jump some at 16", some at 4" and some at 22"!! If a dog can do all jump heights and adjust their jumping style for each jump then THAT dog, really knows how to jump. If a dog has to always jump the same height, or they will knock a bar, that dog doesn't really know how to jump - in my opinion anyway. Although pattern training jumps certainly isn't a bad thing (you will most likely not drop bars) I don't like it because I would rather my dogs think about the jump and judge it themselves (which they are incredibly good at doing!)

Anyway, sorry to get a little off topic. :rolleyes:

Congrats again on the trial and good luck!!

And Diesel looks fantastic in your siggy pic. :rolleyes:

Thanks! (I took that photo) :D

410676187_a04d3245c8.jpg

RR - have fun at your first trial! Is River really 19.5"? She seems so much smaller, maybe it's because she is always so hunched over whenever she moves, going after *someone's* tail perhaps?

Tweed goes through periods where he just throws down jumps right and left, but mostly he is comfortable at 22" (and he is 20.5" at the shoulder). If I run him at 16" he just gets flat and barrels through all the jumps like they weren't there. I keep thinking about dropping him because he is, after all, going to be 7 in another month, but the destruction is too much! I agree, jump her at 20" - you can always drop her if you think you have to.

I also agree - get it on video!!

RDM

Thanks! (I took that photo) :D

Gorgeous photo! What a handsome guy!

Tweed goes through periods where he just throws down jumps right and left, but mostly he is comfortable at 22" (and he is 20.5" at the shoulder). If I run him at 16" he just gets flat and barrels through all the jumps like they weren't there. I keep thinking about dropping him because he is, after all, going to be 7 in another month, but the destruction is too much!

Tweed is going to be 7???? Tweed? El Christmas Tweed? My doG, how old does that make US??

Wick has, strangely, done more damage to weave poles than jump bars. How a 32lb dog can break weave poles is beyond me. Must be her most excellent "smile for the camera" technique. Oh, and Wick says she is 2. I think Wick is lying.

When Bear went to 22" (from 26") he was still a good jumper. When he went to 16", which is just below his elbow, I think, he no longer jumped but kinda walked over them, with varying degrees of success. :rolleyes: I think Bear is very happy to be retired from agility.

Also, I don't agree with only jumping at a certain height in training. With Daz, sometimes I will set a jump at 20-22, while other in the same course may be 16" 12" or even 4".

My courses are the same way. I have 16", 12", 8" and 4" jumps, often all in the same course. When we do the 6 jumps in a row, 6 feet apart exercise, I vary the jump heights to keep my dog focused and thinking throughout the course, having to alter how she handles each one, each time . You're giving very good advice.

About jumping River at 20", I was agreeing simply because of my experience with Sierra, jumping higher than she's required. Kat's Dogs does make a very good point(I've seen Dazzle run on video...she's truly amazing, so I'm willing to listen to and incorporate into our training anything Kat advises! :rolleyes:). I'm kicking myself for forgetting this, but Sierra did actually jump 12" at her first trial, and it's been 16" ever since(which is why I failed to remember).

Tweed is going to be 7???? Tweed? El Christmas Tweed? My doG, how old does that make US??

Dude, I know. It blows my mind. I always knew Red Dog would get old but Tweed? I still think of him as that dorky not quite 2 year old scattering the woolies at K*** Farm. (Which then reminds me of the time you got runned over by sheep)

I wish I could have gotten the last leg of his AADC for RD, and he also needed one more Masters Team only, before I had to retire him. But he can barely walk never mind do an agility course. It'd break your heart to see him lurching around :rolleyes: It hurts *me* every time I watch him walk/

When Tweed retires from agility he will literally be good for nothing. Then what will I do with him?

RDM

Today was agility class and my instructor said to jump her at 20" - which is all she jumps at this point. I forgot to mention she'll have to jump 22" in USDAA Championship ... And River has yet to drop a bar since she moved to 20" a few months ago (remember, she's only just turned 18months, so her jump heights used to be 16 for a while).

River is 19.5" & Diesel is 22" (according to my measurements (pencil mark on wall)) and they are in the same height classes for nearly all the orgs. I'll see what the wicket says in April.

... I always knew Red Dog would get old but Tweed?

RD and Bear are not old. They are 'experienced'.

...Which then reminds me of the time you got runned over by sheep...

Er, yes. That is the first time that I've ever seen Bear look disappointed in me. Here, he goes and brings me the sheep, and not only do I fall down but I let them escape. After that episode, I never really could convince him that I was in charge. Now, thankfully, he is too slow to catch any of them and contents himself with a 'woof!!' as he slices in. Still, that was a fun day! All because you said "Hey, let's see if Wick can do anything with sheep". Who would have thought that my couch potato SPCA dog would turn on like that!

Lou has yet to make the sheep stampede over me. I :rolleyes: Lou for how kind he is to his stock (and me).

...It'd break your heart to see him lurching around :D It hurts *me* every time I watch him walk

:D Poor RD. I hope this sunny weather will make his joints feel better.

When Tweed retires from agility he will literally be good for nothing. Then what will I do with him?

Pelt? I mean, er, rally-o! Yeah, that's it ....

Don't be afraid of entering CPE Jack Pot. Judges have the option of setting non-traditional gambles that are sometimes not gamble like at all, but always lots of fun. For any Michigan/Indiana/Ohio people on this list, LABKAT agility is holding one of the area's first out of doors (on grass) agility trials of the season on April 28-29. Check the CPE website for more details.

Barb S :rolleyes:

She does do some distance, but because I'm pretty competitive, I'll be frustrated if she fails so I guess it's more about me being ready, lol!

Plus it's my first trial and am going to have a hard enough time remembering which game I'm doing, what the rules of that game is, plus River's never jumped a wall or broad jump (we're practicing those these next few weeks). I don't want to stress about Jackpot. I think 7 runs for the weekend will be plenty :rolleyes: But definitely the next time!

• 2 weeks later...

oo, KAT's Dogs you said it perfect!!! Yes, oh yes it's all about the control of the jump and exercising a dog's versatility and quick change. I too believe it is so important to exercise a dog's mind and spatial perception by varying those bar heights.

Instead, I am always jumping crazy heights that Dazzle would never seen in competition. That way, she really learned how to handle each jump as its own thing, not that jumps should all be performed the same way. She can easily and quickly change her jumping style for each individual jump on a course (which is good, because there are many other things that impact their jumping than just the height of the bar). She is very reliable at jumping, no matter the height. So by all means, in training jump some at 16", some at 4" and some at 22"!! If a dog can do all jump heights and adjust their jumping style for each jump then THAT dog, really knows how to jump.

Have a magnificent trial run!