BC Boards

Still having issues with fetch

So it seems my border has a typical issue among others in that he LOVES to chase things that are moving fast, but once they stop, he loses interest. Same with playing fetch. It seems like I have tried everything and I am still at a loss. When I throw a ball he will chase it as fast as possible, pick it up, and maybe 1 time out of 50 he will bring it somewhere near me. Otherwise he just heads off in some random direction and drops it after carrying it for 20ft or so. If I call him to bring it back he will glance but keep on going. Seems to be that hoarding mentality of the dog, but how do I get him to bring it back? The one thing I do not have and it seems I need is a retractable leash so I can bring him back to me. Is this a proper way to train to bring it back and give the ball? I know its commonly used to train recall, but what about when playing as well?

Some dogs just aren't into fetch. If they're not, I wouldn't push it. It's just a game.

He loves it, to be honest. He loves chasing the ball every time I throw it. If I had a bag of 100 tennis balls he would chase every one like it was the best thing in the world. I am just trying to work with him to bring it back. He has brought it back a few times in the past, I am just trying to figure out how to work on consistency.

You might try turning your back on him...for whatever reason, that worked with Cricket. She loves to fetch but is horrible about the return. If I turn my back and ignore her, the ball ends up at my feet (most of the time anyway) If he likes his treats, you could treat him then.

You might try turning your back on him...for whatever reason, that worked with Cricket. She loves to fetch but is horrible about the return. If I turn my back and ignore her, the ball ends up at my feet (most of the time anyway) If he likes his treats, you could treat him then.

My technique that I've tried to use is the reward for actually giving the ball to me. I'll show the ball to him and call him over. I'll hand it to him and let him sit there and think about what to do with it for a second. If he turns and walks away, the ball gets picked up and the game stops. If he stays and gives it when I tell him to "give", he gets a treat. I've worked on this for a while now and no results. I was trying to start small and work my way up, just making it obvious to him that giving the ball back to me instead of just taking it somewhere else is beneficial to him, but it doesn't seem to stick. I haven't tried a clicker yet, that might be the next step.

What you're facing is pretty typical. There's another thread where how to teach a fetch is discussed. In the other thread I detailed how to teach a backward retrieve, which I've used to teach many dogs the game. Hasn't failed me yet.

I'll hand it to him and let him sit there and think about what to do with it for a second. If he turns and walks away, the ball gets picked up and the game stops.

So you're allowing the dog, who has no clue what the final game is, to dictate the game. It would be like handing a kid a tennis racket and expecting him to figure out what the game of tennis entails while you stand and watch.

Keep the sessions short (couple minutes), play when the dog is raring to go, make the game interesting, make it fun, get the dog in play mode, control the environment.

When Jester first came to me he had no idea what a toy was let alone how to fetch. Here is how I taught him to fetch:

I took a rag and put treats in it and bundled it up so it looked like a ball. I worked indoors, with another person across the room from me. I had Jes by me, let him smell the treat/ball, and tossed it across the room. He went after it, then the other person gave it to him and when he had it in his mouth I called him to me. If he came back with the "ball", he got a treat. Repeat many times.

Then outdoors, in a small, controlled area. One person on one side, the other on the other side. Two people are best because then you can toss it to each other instead of chasing after it (which is what you want the dog to do, after all). Each time he brought it back to me he got a (very very yummy) treat.

Very slowly I increased the distance. Just by a foot each day. Finally I got him to chase it and bring it back again clear across the yard, drop it, and then get his treat each time. This continued for a couple of months.

One day he was bringing it back to me and I actually saw the lightbulb go off in his head: "hey...this is FUN!". He refused the treat and just ran out for me to throw it again. From that day forward he has been obsessed with retrieving anything that anyone under any circumstances will throw for him.

I think this method would work to teach fetch to any smart dog. The only thing is, some will turn it into a beloved hobby and others will only fetch by rote just to get the treat. If your dog learns to bring it back for a treat but after 3 months or more is still only doing it for a treat, then that dog is just not cut out for fetching as a game.

What you're facing is pretty typical. There's another thread where how to teach a fetch is discussed. In the other thread I detailed how to teach a backward retrieve, which I've used to teach many dogs the game. Hasn't failed me yet.

So you're allowing the dog, who has no clue what the final game is, to dictate the game. It would be like handing a kid a tennis racket and expecting him to figure out what the game of tennis entails while you stand and watch.

Keep the sessions short (couple minutes), play when the dog is raring to go, make the game interesting, make it fun, get the dog in play mode, control the environment.

Sounds like I have it all wrong, which I kinda figured. Would you be so kind as to link the thread where you outlined it?

When Jester first came to me he had no idea what a toy was let alone how to fetch. Here is how I taught him to fetch:

I took a rag and put treats in it and bundled it up so it looked like a ball. I worked indoors, with another person across the room from me. I had Jes by me, let him smell the treat/ball, and tossed it across the room. He went after it, then the other person gave it to him and when he had it in his mouth I called him to me. If he came back with the "ball", he got a treat. Repeat many times.

Then outdoors, in a small, controlled area. One person on one side, the other on the other side. Two people are best because then you can toss it to each other instead of chasing after it (which is what you want the dog to do, after all). Each time he brought it back to me he got a (very very yummy) treat.

Very slowly I increased the distance. Just by a foot each day. Finally I got him to chase it and bring it back again clear across the yard, drop it, and then get his treat each time. This continued for a couple of months.

One day he was bringing it back to me and I actually saw the lightbulb go off in his head: "hey...this is FUN!". He refused the treat and just ran out for me to throw it again. From that day forward he has been obsessed with retrieving anything that anyone under any circumstances will throw for him.

I think this method would work to teach fetch to any smart dog. The only thing is, some will turn it into a beloved hobby and others will only fetch by rote just to get the treat. If your dog learns to bring it back for a treat but after 3 months or more is still only doing it for a treat, then that dog is just not cut out for fetching as a game.

Would a Kong with treats work the same function? If so I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Instead of using the Flexi-Lead on the dog, try using one on the ball. Or better, just use a piece of clothesline or mini-blind cord. Punch a hole through a tennis ball or just poke it through a Chuckit ball. Throw the ball out to the end of the cord - 20 feet or more and when he runs for it start reeling the ball in. It never stops being a moving target that way. Let him grab it, call him in, and keep a belly of slack in the line as long as he's moving toward you. Praise as long as he's moving toward you. If he tries turning it into a game of tug, stop praising, walk up the line to the dog, (walking on the line is easier on your hands) take the ball from him and throw it again. If he drops it, pull it quickly toward you - he will probably pounce. Start reeling again. It is easier on your hands to use something like a long-line, but I don't because I don't want the dog to get into grabbing or mouthing any kind of lead.

The first time he comes in all the way, have your hands ready - one for the ball, the other with a treat - a yummy, yummy treat. Put your hand under his muzzle and show him the treat. When he relinquishes the ball, he gets the treat, praise, and another throw. If he gets enthusiastic about heading toward you, back away quickly and continue to encourage him to come in - few can resist this. They speed up and come right in. The dogs I've done this with were very quickly running up the line to me faster than I could reel it in. I use this on dogs that want to turn fetch into keep-away. There are few things more irritating than a dog who thinks it's funny to keep just out of reach when you want him to come in all the way and give up the ball, toy, whatever - or one that drops the ball in some random spot and waits for you to go pick it up. :rolleyes:

So it seems my border has a typical issue among others in that he LOVES to chase things that are moving fast, but once they stop, he loses interest. Same with playing fetch. It seems like I have tried everything and I am still at a loss. When I throw a ball he will chase it as fast as possible, pick it up, and maybe 1 time out of 50 he will bring it somewhere near me. Otherwise he just heads off in some random direction and drops it after carrying it for 20ft or so. If I call him to bring it back he will glance but keep on going. Seems to be that hoarding mentality of the dog, but how do I get him to bring it back? The one thing I do not have and it seems I need is a retractable leash so I can bring him back to me. Is this a proper way to train to bring it back and give the ball? I know its commonly used to train recall, but what about when playing as well?

We put Brodie on a six foot leash at first and had him catch the ball...when he caught it, I'd back peddle really fast calling come, come, come....I didn't reel him in, but he'd follow me with the ball in his mouth. I'd let him catch up to me and he'd drop the ball for a treat....it finally worked and he fetches nicely now. Gradually increase the distance and if he forgets, just start the backpeddling and the "come, come,come" and he'll at least come to you though he may forget the ball :rolleyes:. In that case, hvae another one handy and just keep the game going.

Liz

Try using two balls. Throw the ball short at first. Then once he picks it up and drops it, throw the other ball. While he is gone getting the other ball, grab the first. This is the only way I could teach Vala (a definite hoarder and collector!) to fetch because she hates the part where she gives the ball up. But once she saw that when you drop the first ball the second goes flying, she started to like dropping it better. AND she started bringing it closer to me because she was anticipating the part where I let the ball fly (thrill of the chase! :rolleyes:) She still sometimes goes and gets the ball and takes it to the corner of the yard by me and lies down, but when I show her the second ball she drops the first and gets ready to run.

Secret has gotten to the point where she is about 95% on returning the rolling frisbees (no jumping for her yet!) -- and how I achieved that was by running in the opposite direction as soon as she grabbed the disc. I also play with two discs, so that as soon as she gets near me I have her drop the disc in her mouth and I chuck the other one. She thinks this is great fun.

It has not, unfortunately, transferred to tennis balls. She would LOVE to play the "100 tennis ball" game, too, because chasing them when they roll is the best! But then she lays down and chews on the ball. If I throw another one, she'll run to that ball, but then lays down to chew on it again.

I admittedly haven't worked very hard on "chase me" games with tennis balls. I had hoped that all the work I did with the discs would transfer, but it didn't. Once in a blue moon she'll bring the tennis ball back about halfway before she lays down to chew on it.

Something we have taught all of our boys and works with each of them. It's a two word command that tests their ability to understand what you want from them and encourages their need to please you. It's 'TOO FAR'. My husband invented it because one of our BC's wouldn't return the ball properly. As you described in your first discussion -- he sometimes drops it a few feet away or walks completely away and drops it.

Point to the ball and say 'TOO FAR'. You can sense the wheels turning. 'Too far from what????' He will bring the ball closer. Soon, he will bring the ball and drop at your feet. Believe me, if it works on a spaniel, it will work on any BC!

At the end of the day when I have thrown balls, chew toys or whatever she brings me to throw for her I wish she had this issue. My one year old will chase stuff and fetch ALL DAY LONG and not be ready to stop until about 10:30 at night.

Archived