BC Boards

Herding Instinct?

Dog Rescues Kid in Pool

There is just one example of someone with a herding dog attributing their dogs behavior to their "herding instinct."

How do you respond to people who say, "Oh my dog would be a great herder. He herds my cats, my kids, (insert something that moves here), etc."? To me, "herding" anything other than livestock is an unacceptable behavior that's been excused because it's been mistakenly believed it has something to do with their "herding instinct" and that the owner feels they would kill their "herding instinct" if they make them stop it.

I must admit that I just simply smile and nod now ... because it seems to turn people off when you basically tell them that herding the kids is simply a bad habit that's been allowed to continue.

How do you deal with it?

Jodi

I would probably assure the person that teaching the dog call off the cats, kids, etc. will not hurt the dog's instincts at all and make some simple training suggestions, if appropriate. I might even say that learning to call off will help the dog learn to use his instincts better.

I don't mean to sound too terribly ignorant here, but what are some methods that people use to stop that sort of behavior? Jade loves to chase around my cat, and I haven't found a terribly effective method to get her to stop.

I have 2 outside only cats. They roam between mine and my 2 neighbor's properties. They are at my house more then once a day as I feed them cat food at the back door to supplement whatever they find outside.

River was training since 8wks to leave the cats alone. She has never had interest past the first few sniffs at around 2months old.

I got Diesel at 15mos old and he is very movement reactive so of course will chase the cats, esp if he can get them to run (at 5yrs old now, they are pretty dog savvy). I use 'ah-ah' to mean No, don't do that. So he was taught that - eventually I added 'leave the kitties'. Now when he sees the cats approach the yard, he will often run at them and they usually just sit there and let him sniff them, but sometimes they run and he gets all excited - but I can now say 'leave the kitties' both before and during the pursuit and he'll vere off and leave them be for at least a few minutes.

I got Aero and 8wks and he loves the kitties (he thought they were puppies) and they let him bowl them over a few times. He wanted to eat with them out of the kitty bowl, but a few ah-ahs took take of that and now he sits about 3 feet away and watches them eat (he's almost 4months now). He will also now leave the cats alone if I say leave the kitties.

Probably a little harder since your dog already does it, but you can leash your dog and apply the same rules. Use what your dog knows for not doing something, use the leash to reinforce it. Then practice off leash. Reward your dog when he responds to you and stops pursuit.

Diesel will chase running/biking kids and moving horses. But i can call him off of all of it. So I do have to keep due diligence with him if he is in those situations. Unlike River (who chases nothing but toys) who I can trust not to chase anything 100%.

Mine herds cats, kids, bees, draining rain water, leaves and I'm pretty sure he herds air currents. A few days ago we were walking across a field in our favorite park when a MARTEN swooped down on us like they do. The bird was trying to scare us off but ended up being chased by I'm sure the craziest dog it had ever come across.

I've always read/heard that herding is just prey instinct, controlled. Scooter likes to "herd" our guests when they try to leave. It's not cute or funny and we're working on it. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a herd of sheep to take care of, but that doesn't mean he gets to herd whatever he chooses, just because "that's what Border Collies do."

How do you respond to people who say, "Oh my dog would be a great herder. He herds my cats, my kids, (insert something that moves here), etc."?

It depends on the person. Sometimes I just make noncommittal noises. If they seem truly interested and relatively open, I talk about the difference between instinct and ability. I'll mention that my Shelties had tons of fragmented instinct but I can't imagine they'd have been any use around sheep on the off chance they weren't terrified. If I think their dog is heading for trouble with his behaviors, I'll do what I can to explain my concerns.

I think this "cuteness" of the GSD will soon wear off when people want to swim. It will soon be a pain in the butt. As far as herding cats, kids, etc... I never had this problem. I know it's odd. I just guess I would not allow it. BC's that are taught to herd are following their instincts, we just put words to them and fine tune them.

I have two right now. I've had border collies for a long time and am a pretty good judge of them. I wish I had a video of them when they played. Tennis ball at the park, for me- holding up the chuck-it and let the dogs "set themselves up". Usher runs wide on an away, I also use the trees, to help for future herding- Bailey just runs straight out and barks and taps her paws. Usher uses his, so called out-run, and sneaks up on the ball - needless to say- instinct all bred in- This does NOT predict he will make an excellent herding dog, yet when put on sheep- this is the habit he showed.

When someone says "My dog herds the cats and kids" I guess my answer would be -to a stranger, "that's great, but do you need some help to try and stop that?" It can be a problem, but with proper behavior and some obedience training, your dog could be your best friend, I can recommend ......so and so.....That behavior could result in some problems. But I'm no lecturer.

I simply enjoy the dog park and my dogs. I love any time I can get in training and I love my obedience trainer and I just love my dogs- bad habits or not.

Dianne