BC Boards

Fennecs Lips and Nose

I just came home and Fenn's lips and chin have turned bright pink. He has pink skin normally, but this is bright pink. He seems fine. He did vomit bile on Monday during the day and has been making licking sounds in his crate at night.

At this point in the day it would be the Emergency Vet, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

Here is a bad picture

FennFace002.jpg

Any ideas????

And yes, he has a major overbite....adds to his charm :rolleyes:

I can't tell what part of his face looks bright pink to you - do you mean the discoloration around his lips or the pink that is a similar colour to the inside of his nose?

The pinkness looks like an allergic reaction to something to me.

RDM

My Polly is marked like your dog and she does get pink like that sometimes--and I've been sitting here getting more and more mad at myself because I can't remember what triggers it for her...

But. Aside from my current lack of a brain, you mentioned that Fenn was vomiting bile earlier in the week and you've been hearing him lick at night--both might cause the pinkish irritation from the stomach acid--and both symptoms might need at least a phone consult with the vet.

Geez, it's so hard when they're sick, I hope you get an answer soon.

Best Wishes,

Charlene

tikki's muzzle does that when he is feeling poorly. dont panic! i'm not saying fennec has what tikki has, but when tikki is in pain, he dribbles alot. and it happens when he has been over grooming. i dont think for most dogs the salivation is a sign of pain its just what tikki does. i think the pinkness is caused by the salivation is what i'm trying (badly) to get across :rolleyes:

another possibility is the temperature, i have known dogs lips and paws to turn bright pink when they are cold. is it chillier than normal where you are?

good luck, i hope it is nothing serious xx

Okay...so of course the vet wanted us to come in and luckily tonight was their late night.

The diagnosis was saliva stains from playing with his ball (he drools A LOT) and from his Kong in his crate everyday.

A very expensive visit, but at least peace of mind.

Another thought, although I think the previous suggestions probably identify the culprit, is something my vet mentioned. That is that some dogs are allergic (or develop allergies) to plastic dog dishes, and he recommended using stainless if that was the case. He said that could be seen in very pink lips, chin, etc.

Best wishes!

Another thought, although I think the previous suggestions probably identify the culprit, is something my vet mentioned. That is that some dogs are allergic (or develop allergies) to plastic dog dishes, and he recommended using stainless if that was the case. He said that could be seen in very pink lips, chin, etc.

Best wishes!

Hmm.... at first I disregarded this as we feed and water out of steel bowls at home...but I recently (2-3 weeks ago) changed our park bowl from the nylon collapsable to a plastic tupperware dish.....so that could in fact be worth changing to see if anything improves. Thanks for the thought.