BC Boards

supplement for coat

kimkathan

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a supplment to give a healthy dog to thicken up hair coat. My 4 year old girl has a nice soft, shinny coat (feeding Eagle Holistic line with supplemented fish oil) she usually has a nice thick coat, but for some reason this winter she's thinned out (probably from going in and out from 68 degrees to -30 wind chill and working out in it) I took her to work and had her tested for hypothyroid which came back negative. My boss says that I'm just over concerned and she's just looking wooly and unruly for the time. Normally she has a nice thick coat which everyone comments on. Now she looks slightly better than a bitch who has just gotten done nursing.

Would kelp or biotin help?

KIm,

Has she had a heat recently? Some bitches will blow their coats a certain time after their heat cycle. My Kat blows her coat once a year, usually in late summer or fall and everyone always comments on how awful and bald she looks. But then it all grows back in and she's back to her normal cute self, till the next coat-blowing episode. So your boss may be correct--if she's healthy in all other respects I'd just wait and see if it grows back in.

J.

I love the all-in-one fatty acid supplements. They were a lifesaver when Ben was having so much trouble with his skin. I use Linatone liquid right now because it's the best buy for the money, but I got the best results (and still do), from DVM DermCaps. Very spendy but worth it for an acute problem - as when the skin is involved in addition to just "bad hair."

Believe it or not, I've noticed that glucosamine supplements will pretty up the coat, also. Weird, huh? I do this with Zhi sometimes and there's a definite difference. I discovered this when using a particular supplement I had, on rescues that were underweight. With experimentation I narrowed it down to the glucosamine in it!

Kelp really only helps if the problem is thyroid related, honestly. It's an excellent all around source of trace nutrients however, if your dog tolerates it. I've never had a huge amount of luck with biotin alone though it works well with other supplements.

Give it about twenty days before you decide there is a problem. As Julie said, heat cycles can be murder on a bitch's coat but most bitches recover within a few weeks. If it's just thinning, it might be the change in temps. If you are seeing right to the skin, I'd start screaming and yelling until someone paid attention. Ben's problems are always signalled first by a change in his coat, as are all the dogs I've had in with tick borne diseases. Not to scare you, but that's jsut two potential issues out there you could be dealing with.

I have a really good over all supplement that you can make and is very good for the skin and coat. It is not expensive to make. I have been using it for years, and since I feed raw, this one supplement covers off all their supplement needs.

WHere I live it costs me about $42.00 to back a double batch and it does my four dogs 6 weeks - at 1/3 cup each.

If you or anyone else is interested, I please email me privately and I will send you the recipe

If you or anyone else is interested, I please email me privately and I will send you the recipe

I am interested!! My pup has blown her coat (2 months out of her first cycle) and "nekkid" doesn't come close to her looks right now :rolleyes:

However, I can't figure out how to email you Northof49....I'll figure it out soon, when I have time to play on the PC with the new Board set up.

Thanks!

Karen

Thanks for the input so far...

She was in heat back in October and isin't due again til around the first part of May. Her thyroid levels came back in the upper mid range. Her coat isin't thin ot the point of bald spots, but rather noticing a thinner tail and it just isin't as thick as usual. Her skin looks great, not a sign of redness, nice, pink and not a flake on her(probably from the Omega 3/6/9 tabs). Her activity level is normal (actually too high due to the 49" of snow we got the other day and not being able to work sheep and run around as much)

She blew her coat about 6 weeks ago and it looked like she had exploded (hard to believe soo much hair can come out of a little dog) I've had her up north for 3 1/2 years (had her brought up from NC) and never remember her being so hairy and now so thinning. I haven't noticed it getting any worse lately, but looking at pictures from last year at this time can see a real difference. She just has that wirery untamed look and a sparce tail.

As far as ticks go. She's lymes vaccinated(the DNA modified version, not a killed or modified live) and is on Frontline year round. Is there something else we should be looking for? Up until the last 2 years, here in VT we haven't had a problem with lymes, but with the traveling we do, and her coming to work with me and being around other dogs, I just try to cover my butt. The other dogs I have (all short hair) aren't seeming to be having any problems.

thanks again!