BC Boards

Bouillon v. Broth?

Allie Oop

Allie seems to be doing somewhat better, and although she is eating ok, she was not drinking water the way she should and had started to get a little dehydrated again. I gave her ice chips, pedialyte, diluted gatorade, etc. and she took a little that way. About 3:00 a.m. I was so stressed, I got up (woke Allie up -- SHE was sleeping. :rolleyes: ) and opened up a can of low sodium chicken broth. I put about three teaspoons into a bowl of warm water and gave it her. Miracle of miracles -- she slurped it down so fast she almost heaved! I went home on my lunch and checked on her and to let her out of her crate (all of that chicken broth water) and she is the best she has been in days!

My question is: Is bouillon better to use than broth (I did use the low sodium) for a dog with possible pancreatic issues? Any opinions? My vet recommended bouillon, but I didn't have any.

I think the same - you use boullian cubes to make broth.

When my Lena crashed with sepsis (ruptured liver abcess) we used the product GoDog (an electrolyte made for dogs) as a broth. As she got better (lost 8 lbs, and she was thin to begin with) we used a product called Seacure. It's almost pure protein and absorbs on contact with the gut. At her weakest we mixed it with warm water and she would lap it up.

Also, since your girl isn't drinking...will you vet teach you how to give her subq fluids at home? It's not hard and she might feel better with more consistant hydration while her stomach rests.

I would do as you have done and choose low-sodium broth rather than bouillion, which tends to be loaded with salt. However, I would check with the vet to see if perhaps he/she wanted your dog to get more salt, perhaps to stimulate drinking.

Best wishes!

As far as I know a boullion cube or a teaspoon of boullion crystals in a cup of water is a cup of broth.

I've been cooking based on that understanding for over 40 years now. No one has ever noticed whether I used the boulloin, actual broth, or one of my broth ice cubes and some water.

I can't vouch for the nutritional value, but when mine won't drink, I put a few drops of the juice from canned tuna in her water. Might be something else to try, though it sounds like you have already found something that works. Best wishes to the two of you.

Allie is doing so much better today -- hurray!!!! I'll admit, I've been terribly worried, but she is so much better. Not quite 100%, but we're getting there. No more rawhide bones (Nylabones from now on! I never gave her rawhide flips or chews, but apparently even the bones can have problems.) We still have to have the bloodwork redone on Tuesday, but she is almost normal!! She also LOVES the warm chicken broth water. Thanks to everyone for your kind inquiries and responses. :D Too bad I spent the money for the new kennel on her vet bill. She still needs a BROTHER!!!! (Maybe I'll try to arrange some overtime at work. :rolleyes: )

Bill makes an excellent point. However, you can get no-fat, low-sodium broth in cans if that is a concern. I would check with the vet to make sure that what you are giving is just what your dog needs.

Yes, I considered the fat issue. However, the fat content of the soup is really very low, less than 1 gr. and I am only using about 3 tsp. per 1 1/2 cups water. I did buy some bouillon cubes and she liked that fine, too. (The fat content in the bouillon is .6).

Thanks all for your replies. I appreciate the feedback.

My broth has no fat! I make it myself - OK, Chuck makes broth, too. We chill it so the fat solidifies on top, then take that off and use it sparingly on the kibble for the dog and cat. Then, we usually freeze it into broth cubes. We have a ton of ice cube trays because our fridges have automatic ice makers.

Broth cubes are really handy. I can add one when I want to make a wine sauce for something I saute. Chuck nukes a few when he makes pilaf (I just toss them in the pot and let the melt there). And they are handy if you want to create something bland for an upset tummy - human or pet.

Nancy, I'll bet your broth also tastes a whole lot better than the canned kind (not to mention, with a lot less sodium). :rolleyes: I like to cook, but usually don't take the time to do my own broth. So, it's canned or nothing around my house. Bill, you were right about the fat being the issue in the broth, although it was still fairly low the vet thinks that the diluted bouillon is better.

Allie had the bloodwork redone on Tuesday and her pancreatic enzyme counts were back to normal. She is doing great. I think that the vet thought there might be an underlying issue because Allie is quite thin (she's back up to her normal 30 lbs, though). Allie has never exhibited any of the traits of a pancreatic disorder (diarrhea, vomiting, over-sized excretions, etc.) and looks very healthy (although she was sure a sick puppy for that week). Thanks!