BC Boards

Colorado

Bart

Our three border collies want to relocate to colorado and are willing to take us with them. They may or not take our 15 sheep but we want to get at least 5 scenic acres near a small town where people raise their own food and have their own wells (as opposed to a bedroom community).

Any suggestions?

what should we expect to pay, property could have a house or just land zoned for a modular.

Hello Bart,

I am glad your border collies want to take you with them! My husband and I and our 2 border collies, german shepard mix and horses live on the Western Slope of Colorado. Anywhere in Colorado would be good for you except for maybe the immediate Denver area.

The Western Slope typically has milder temperatures than the Front Range and not quite as much snow - but it varies year to year.

If I were you I would look around Delta/Montrose or the Hotchkiss area. There are alot of organic farms in those areas. All of these are south of Grand Junction. There are more herding type events and people in that area. Even just west of Grand Junction would be good.

Our area is still pretty good but there is a lot of natural gas drilling going on and it is devastating a lot of properties owners. I would hate to see you get mixed up in that.

Prices would probably range from $250,000 up to $500,000 depending on improvements, water rights, etc.

Best of luck and welcome to Colorado.

I have to be awful honest with you. I would not come to Colorado, I am a native and can not wait until my kids are graduated (2 yrs) so we can move. It is expensive here, think fuel is expensive in CA. come to CO. Think food is expensive? Electricity? Taxes? Vehicle Registration? Come to Colorado. In Aug. it was reported that Colorado had the all time high price on fuel (gas, diesel propane etc.) in the whole USA, we even beat you.

I do live fairly close to Denver, fact is the ranch we live on is only 15 min. from Aurora Colorado. We are East of Denver in Elbert County. Growth is out of control in this area, and then after Mr. and Mrs. who ever move in they of course want to close the doors to anyone else moving here. Dont want to "ruin" anything. We are looking at a project with 3000 homes right up the road from us. and then another 1700 down the road (basically both across the road) from where we live. I dont know..... I think anywhere but the front range of Colorado would be ok. Western Slope is nice. Houses in this area are from $1,000,000.00 for a 3000 sq ft home on acerage(nice home) to $200,000.00 to live in a small town. Not cheap. Good luck, but do your homework!!! It is beautiful here, the weather is great mountains are pretty and nice to visit, but I can not wait to move away soon.

Tracy

Tracy,

I understand what you are saying. I am a native also. It is very hard to see the growth and not get upset by it. I can't believe they are putting those huge developments in Elbert County. I remember my Mom driving us from Littleton to Castle Rock in the early 70s and you were totally out in the sticks for about 30 minutes. Now you never leave the city between those two destinations. I think it is sad that you can't wait to move away - but I understand as I have had those feelings myself at times. I am a little removed from the growth over here, but it is slowly catching up with us too.

Valorie

Don't think that development won't hit the Western Slope more than it has. I recently went to a campground (used to be KOA now is private) near Newcastle. I couldn't BELIEVE the new development there! Where on earth are all those folks working???

That said, the areas mentioned (at least an hour south of I-70) do seem like a good fit for your dog crew. You might like it too!

diane (in Utah but nearby)

This is off the topic of Colorado, but I can certinly understand waving folks off from coming there. I understand colorado is wonderful and a beautiful place to live. So was Califorina when I was growing up there. I lived in rural Orange Co.

yes there was such a place at one time. :rolleyes: We were moved out by development. I grew up married and bouhgt horse property. Was moved out by development, and extremly high property taxes. Moved to a rual community in Los Angeles co, minium 1 acre building sights. Was moved out by the 10,000 sq foot house that didn't like animals near by. I live in Missouri now on ten acres, plan on buying land next to me. I'm surrounded by cows. I miss S. Ca. but wouldn't reccomend any one moving there. It's to expensive, and every square inch has some sort of building on it, very deperessing, at least for me. .

Andrea D.

I've never even been to CO, but know some nice sheep folks from there. I know he has said that he hates the tourists, but otherwise, seems happy. I think they're near Denver - or in that area anyhow. I would think living anywhere that is a tourist area would be the pits - plus expensive, but I get fed up with all the building going on in IN. Doesn't matter where you are, they seem to think they have to be building something on every inch of land they can possibly cover. We still haven't figured out who they think is going to buy all the new housing around are area.