BC Boards

running a cripple

Amelia Smith

i started this thread under another topic but would like your opinion on this so started a new one. here's my pet peeve; a handler running a crippled dog and no one doing anything about it. and by anyone i mean the judge, course director and trial organizers. i realize that any ha member can file a complaint with the ha but that does nothing to stop the abuse on the day it occurs. there is a man here in CA who runs a bitch well past her prime that has had more than one hip surgery and that struggles to walk let alone run, let alone uphill, let alone trying to cover waspy range ewes. seems to me that a judge should have the ability to ask for some sort of a health cert if it's his opinion a crippled dog is being abused and further should be able to DQ the handler if one is not available. the first time this happens will be a shock to the handler, but the second time he will either be able to produce or there won't be a second time.

Just a novice question here. Doesn't a judge have the lattitude to excuse a handler if there is insufficient progress? Like I wouldn't think a judge would have to explain himself or herself if the sheep were way off course and a dog just was obviously unable to catch them. Though I'd be mortally embarrassed, personally, if it took the JUDGE pointing that out, before I wasted everyone's time and broke my dog's heart.

But, you know, even if a dog weren't crippled but just overweight or someone was trying to run a cocker spaniel or something - or if the dog or handler were just miserably incompetant - been there, done that :rolleyes: Seems like the judge would be well within rights to excuse.

Section 16D of the USBCHA Sheepdog Rules says: "Sick or injured dogs will not be allowed to compete at the recommendation of the veterinarian or at the discretion of the judge and course director."

Seems to me if the dog is showing signs of being crippled, this gives the judge and/or the course director latitude to exclude the dog, but wouldn't require them to. I remember once discussing with a big hat whether Kate Broadbent's Decks should be excluded under this rule. He thought Decks should be excluded, I thought he shouldn't. But in the case of a dog who has repeatedly shown himself physically unequal to the trial tasks, I think it would be appropriate for the judge to excuse the dog. Would take intestinal fortitude, though.

I saw a judge from the UK retire a handler with a lame dog at a trial last spring. The handler wasn't pleased, but everyone else was. The judge couldn't believe the handler would even attempt to run a dog so obviously lame.