BC Boards

Dog Accomodation

Hi everybody, I've got a question about transportation/accomodation when it comes to border collies. Right now I have a 3YO border collie who I did 8 months training with during my last year in college and will be training again this coming year, over the summer we won't have much opportunity to work, but I have used her a couple times. Anyways, she goes with me many places that I go and has moved with me a few times (to college, home again, to a summer job, etc). I have a crate which she is very comfortable in the only problem is that I drive a regular cab truck, so the crate has to be outside, and thus the dog is usually on my seat instead of in the crate during travelling. I am toying with the idea of building a "box" that I could mount in my truck box for her to ride in when I have other passengers or when she's muddy/wet or whatever. I am from Canada so it needs to be adjustable for both hot and cold weather travel. I was thinking about something that would fit across the whole width of my truck box, against the tailgate, with two doors in it and a removable divider in the middle sot aht if I have 2 dogs someday I could care them both. I was thinking that it would be nice if I could remove it from the truck and use it as a temporary dog house if I needed to, so I'm trying to decide if it needs to have a floor or not? I am looking for ideas from people who have made something like this or just ideas for the size of the enclosure, materials etc. Anybody have plans/pictures of anything like this? Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!

~Heather and "Sneef"

You probably are looking for something like this:

http://www.bird-n-buck.com/custom_dog_boxes.htm

I've seen a couple of people who actually made the same sort of thing out of wood, and normally I'm all for making it rather than buying, but you don't really want to cheap out on something like this. The steel (or steel reinforced plastic) boxes are usually insulated (very nice for both hot and cold weather, and can be padlocked, and are the most secure thing I've ever seen in an accident. My late trainer smashed up his truck three different times in my recent memory and it never harmed that dog box.

I can't figure out a way to install something like this in my Suburban and still have usable space for my family - if I could I'd make the money happen. I still may someday - maybe I'll have enough money someday to do one of those custom jobbers. It'll be from clinic fees after I win the National finals. Ha ha!

Wow, nevermind. I just found a box to save up for. These people have a double box with drawer storage and room at the top for my small crates.

http://www.bird-n-buck.com/custom_dog_boxes.htm

NICE boxes! some of these have insulation like I was talking about above.

Those are some nice dogs boxes and trailers. Does anyone have any idea of their prices roughly??

I would also like to ask what dog trailers that people like and why??

Thanks,

Kathy

OK now that is too awesome for words. The topper transporters are something I'd never thought of before. I like the roof fan, too - I think you posted that before, Mark. You know all the good stuff. :rolleyes:

Two-dog boxes with a top storage start at approximately $450. Things to watch out for: 1. make sure your dog box is welded construction, not riveted - a mechanical fastner box will not hold up long. 2. be certain to buy a box with top storage as that is where MOST of the insulation come froms (radiation heat transfer much like a space blanket). 3. Have a very good reason for getting a four dog compartment box (and a full size truck) that sits on the tailgate end of the bed as the outside compartments will be too small for most full grown BC's (fine for pups or for short rides). A 3-dog box is fine. 4. Most dog boxes (99% are sold to coon hunters and gun dog people) are used for multiple dogs in a dog compartment, hence the reason for the long depth. BC people seldom put more than one dog in a compartment so generally only need 38" depth vs the 46" depth. 5. If you are towing a 5th wheel, your tool box type box should not be more than 28" in depth or it may get "crunched" by the trailer when making a sharp turn. 6. Have a good reason for not wanting a box for top storage (the most common is because of a trailer they are pulling or if it will be used inside a vehicle or building) as the top storage is where most of the insulation comes from.

Tip: If you have a dog box, please be certain to close the top storage when you are not using it so that you can take advantage of the insulation that it provides and keep your dogs cooler in the summer months.

When buying a trailer - 95% of all trailers are now sold with forced air ventilation that are ducted to each dog compartment (about a $500 option). A 6-dog trailer starts at $3499 plus options. Most people get a water storage tank mounted on the tongue, lights for inside the storage areas and a couple of external lights along witht the forced air ventilation. Most gun dog people get 8-dog trailers (as they generally travel with friends, etc).

Essentially all trailers are custom built by all companies as most everyone has a different set of options they desire. All most no-one buys a standard - no option trailer. Most dog box companies will make custom dog boxes but expect the cost to go up rather significantly as they can not use their standard jigs and fixtures. I suspect that about 20% of the boxes I sell are custom however.

By the way, Rebecca, the "toppers" are typically for animal control vehicles. They will have double doors, and snare holes and slides to allow a person to "snare" a dog before opening up the second door, etc. They are rather expensive units - but you can often find them used. Tyically you can buy a trailer loaded for less money than a typical animal control topper.

They are also rather large (as they need to accomodate many large dogs at once) and are not easily removed from the truck. However, they are always custom so you could design what you wanted if you wanted a new one (say without double doors, with compartments that are borde collie size rather than St. Bernard size, etc.).

WELL...I gotta say, I bought my dog box from Craig at Border Springs, and have not regretted it. I have an open bed pick-up and it fits in nicely, but I got the biggest one I could for putting multiple dogs in. It has two compartments and I can easily fit two dogs in each one. It is quite temperate in summer and winter, and they like it. I am more a pet-type handler, and would love it if they could all ride happily in the back seat, but truth is they are a mess sometimes, and I think they're safer this way as well. I did get the stuff-compartment at the top-love it. Keep all my trial useful junk up there. The ONLY thing against them is the torture you go through cleaning up diarrhea explosions, should they occur, but at least it can be done. Another good thing I have found is that they are acceptable holding for dogs in summer when you need to stop and go in someplace for a bit, like to go eat or run in a store. I have fans I can put on them, can use wet towels in the floors, and by the thermometer I keep handy, no one can accuse me of dog abuse in a hot vehicle.

Check out Craig's website...Craig, what is it?

It's neat to know the different options - we probably would have gone with something like the topper on Pretty Green Truck that died in the accident as that is exactly what I was looking for at the time. If I get my new business going (and we ever pay the 'burban down enough to trade it in) the topper would be a dreamy way to do what I need.

I'm weird because I've got all the dogs but I also have to have room for two kids and their stuff and be able to drive them around town easily (making a trailer inconvenient).

Great and very timely discussion.

Hey, I ride Border collies doubled up too. And it's amazing how small a space you can fit a dog into:

RandomCrate.jpg

I'm just kidding of course. Don put himself in there when I asked him to load in the crate next to him and I snapped the picture. Craig, have you ever seen boxes constructed to fit semi-permanently inside a fiberglass topper with stacked holes? That would be another possible direction.

I am curious. When a person orders a dog trailer or box from some of these companies and doesn't live in the same state, how does the company get the trailer to that person??

Kathy

Delivery Options:

1. Sent commercial freight. The boxes are placed on a pallet. The trailers can also be sent by commercial freight. Boxes are typically below the minumum weight so the cost of shipping is typically around $90.00. For trailers, I get 5 quotes and ship by the least expensive unless the customer has a specific carrier they wish to use.

2. Depending on location, distance and the availability of a dog trial nearby I generally deliver trailers for gas money.

3. I also deliver dog boxes free of charge to dog trials.

4. I have on occasion met a "trailer" customer "half-way" as well.

The bottom line it is a custom order all around.

Rebecca, your idea is the perfect custom order with no top storage. If you are going to put the box inside a fiberglass topper than you don't need the top storage for insulation (besides, it is hard to get to it inside the topper anyway). I would have to measure to be certain, but I suspect you could put a 6-compartment box across the back of the bed (3 on each row). The box would require two people to put put it in and take it out of the truck - but it would likely weigh only about 70 pounds (this is a guess, albeit somewhat educated)but would be awkward for one person to move.

I personally use a two-dog box in the back of my Excursion.

Lead time for custom orders is typically about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Craig, that's really helpful. If our business gets off to a reasonably good start this fall I'm hoping to talk hubby into replacing the s-10 with a full size - I miss my truck!! This helps alleviate some of the concerns we had with meeting our strange needs (Yes, we are the folks at the dog trials with two kids, their junk, and five dogs and their junk, in a $20,000 Suburban).

Thanks Craig.

I guess I just never thought of shipping something like a dog trailer. Now I have the question of what is the average weight of a 4 hold trailer and a 6 hole trailer??

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Kathy

Kathy,

Crow River (Cokato, MN) lists 750 lbs for a 4 hole aluminum and 850 lbs for an 8 hole aluminum on their Price List.

I'm sure Craig can get some really nice trailers and boxes. But since you're only 2hrs from Crow River you could pick one up there and save the shipping.

Mark