BC Boards

Pete's leg

Joan

Joan,

Hang in there girl! You must be feeling relief right now that he's through the surgery. My dog, Jed, my absolute favorite, ate something plastic (we still can't figure out what it is) two weeks ago and went in for emergency surgery. We have no emergency clinic in this town and I couldn't get the vet to come in early. I got him there first thing, he was in terrible pain, and while we were waiting for the x-rays to develop, he went into shock in my arms. I used to be an emergency triage tech so I knew he was dying and made them take him right then. He made it through and sutures are out now, but I am still emotionally exausted. You'll probably feel the need to watch him like a hawk, but give him his space (just the occasional kiss) and good luck!!!!

Jenny

Hi, everyone.

Petie came through the surgery very well. Because the emergency vet is in the same offices the surgeon uses, we were able to visit Petie last night. He looks a little rough, but I think he looks great considering what he's been through. He had been out of surgery about 3.5 hours at that point. His focus obviously wasn't great, but he was responding to voices. As a few of you know, Jim has a distinctive bass voice, and Petie's head turned as soon as he heard Jim. He tried to get up a couple of times, but he gave up on that pretty quickly. The vet on duty said that he's doing very well. He's on morphine to take the edge off the pain.

I haven't been able to talk to anyone yet this morning. They're so busy over there that voice mail is taking their calls. So I don't know yet if he's coming home today or tomorrow. We won't know about the cancer for about two weeks.

Oh. I almost forgot. Because he's lost a front leg, we were concerned about the condition of his hips. He was diagnosed with dysplasia before he was a year old. In fact, he was scheduled for a TPO. Dr. Betts, the same doctor who's taking care of Petie now, looked at Petie and the xrays and said he didn't need a TPO. Yesterday he took xrays of Petie's hips. Absolutely no arthritis in those hips! Betts said every 11-year-old dog should have such great hips. So it was nice to get that good news. And it tickled Dr. Betts, too.

Thanks again for the support and for caring!

Petie update:

Dr. Betts reports that Petie is better today and that "the spark is back in his eyes." The bleeding has stopped, but he still has a lot bruising from the internal bleeding when the bone broke. The bandage needs to be changed at least twice today, and he wants Petie to have complete rest, so Pete will stay for at least one more night. Betts hopes to have Petie home for the weekend.

Thanks, again!

Originally posted by Shelby Kennels:

Joan, you are in our prayers today. Two weeks ago, unfortunately, one of our dogs was hit by a car. It sheared the rear leg bone to the marrow and after hours of surgery it was still a 50/50 we would lose the leg. The vet says the healing has been "miraculous" and we start physical therapy next Monday. My heart has been so broken and it has been a hard road. But we are so blessed that all has gone so well and I will ask for the same healing powers for ya'll in my prayers.

Kim, I am so sorry you and your dog have had to go through this! It sounds awful. I'm glad things are looking more positive now, and I'm sending that wish for healing right back atcha!

Originally posted by Miztiki:

Did I miss a thread about Petie? You said he'd be home "this afternoon". Is he doing ok?

Hi! No, you didn't miss anything. He's home, and he's doing well. This morning, he leaned on a tree so he could lift his leg to pee where one of the other dogs peed.

He tires easily, but otherwise I think he's doing well. He lost a lot of blood when the bone broke, so he's anemic. And he's just plain tired, too. He's wagging his tail today, and that is a good sign!

Thanks for asking.

Petie is improving a little each day. He's still anemic and tires easily. It's also more work to get around on three legs! He was ready to walk up steps yesterday - he got up the first one before we stopped him. And this morning, he was sitting for the first time. It was lying down or standing until then. We see more and more of his personality coming back. He seems to enjoy getting his head rubbed so oftern.

Thanks for asking!

Great news. IS he on a B12 supplement? It's a great way to help the anemia safely - I give lambs that are down with haemonchus shots of B12 until the wormer kicks in and their RBC count goes back up.