BC Boards

Hats off to Julie

tucknjill

Thanks guys. I was really surprised. I think it helps when you work all day and don't have time to worry about what's going on in the classes you're running in. We literally had just finished on the novice field as the last open run was finishing up, so Roy and I grabbed our three dogs and made our way to the open field to run them. No time to think or obsess, and Jill was really on yesterday. It was like my Saturay run with Twist at your (Sam's) trial--everything just felt right the whole way around the course.

As for Ray and Maddie, he was lucky enough yesterday to get the one bad set of sheep we had on the novice field (bad that in they just didn't want to be held at the top--odd, since on Saturday they were pretty much the best working group). Maddie overflanked a bit at the top but then brought the sheep nicely to Ray correcting the line pretty much on her own. I'm sorry to say that I don't really remember specifics about the rest of the run, but I think it was pretty good till they got to the pen. I believe he timed out there. I don't remember the Saturday runs at all. Holding out was a bit excrutiating and thankfully now is largely a blur....

J.

I think Ray placed with Maddie and Mirk on Saturday and then was Champion overall in Novice with Brooke!

Julie, sorry I missed seeing your winning run, but I was making sure I could get my truck out of the mud (I sure hope we all didn't tear up Susan's lawn too much). Congrats again!

I think I wrote Colin Cleer the longest thank you note and gave him the biggest tip. I HATE setting sheep all day, it just wears me out and I would much prefer slaking about running my mouth. Good setout crews are more than worth their weight in gold. NEVER NEVER irritate your setout man. If he says he wants an ostrich egg wrapped in pork for lunch, by god, you get his egg!

So, Sam, how did things go at Border Springs? I am looking forward to hearing how everybody did down there. Did you blow them away?

I turned in my usual stellar bottom-of-the-heap performance at Susan Rhoades' trial. Actually, it was not very usual at all, as we had a marvelous outrun and lift (losing only one point for each - quite a switch for us, but Celt knows the field there), and it all went downhill from there!!!

However, I was happy with Celt's efforts and his responsiveness (thank you, thank you, thank you for your comments and suggestions the week before). It's not the score, it's not the ribbons, it's how you feel about the run that really counts! (Now, Sue, repeat that three times!)

Congratulations, Julie! What a nice way to end the trial year.

Border Springs Synopsis:

Sam judged Friday - half the scores were letters rather than numbers. Bobby Ford/Laddie won and Tom Lacy/Megan was second. Robin placed 6th with Spottie.

On Saturday we ran a very large driving course. Tom Lacy came in 1st (Peg) and 3rd (Megan). Sam placed 4th (Tucker) and 6th (Buff).

On Sunday Sam placed 4th with Buff and Robin placed 6th with Spottie. Tom Lacy tied for first with Megan.

Tom and Megan were the superstars of the weekend.

Way to go, Tom Lacy and Megan (my favorite Lacy dog)!

And congrats to Robin and Spottie, and Sam with Tucker and Buff!

Also, hats off to Bobby Ford and Laddie!

What a wonderful weekend - I wish I could have been there to see it. Maybe next year!

Congratulations Julie! I'm sorry I didn't get to see you run in Open -- I had to get back to do family things and left right after Pro-Novice started.

Sue -- you were there? Did I meet you?

Fly and I proved that it is, indeed, possible to eliminate a dog's sheep-spotting abilities by never working her, no matter how well trained she is. Fly wanted the ones at the exhaust, dammit, what do you mean look farther up the field? Including our two turns at the trial, Fly's seen sheep four times in the last two months. I have finally realized that this is not fair to a dog. Poor little worm, she tried very hard though.

On a whim and the goodness of the trial hosts who allowed us to fill a slot where there was a no-show, Solo made his Novice/Novice debut on Sunday. We did not exactly set the world on fire, but we had fun. I wrote a little story about it, which I'll post separately.

Again, congratulations Julie and Jill!

Melanie, I saw you there (Skeeter was a dead giveaway), and I got to say "hi" to Solo and Fly as you walked them by. I am ashamed that I didn't walk up and introduce myself when I knew it was you, an acquaintance from the boards!

I was fortunate enough to make some new acquaintances with folks whose names I only knew from running orders or trial results. And, I enjoyed watching the dogs run.

Our run was only memorable to me because Celt had his first good outrun and lift (minus 1 each), and from there it went downhill fast as the sheep determined they were ready for the exhaust! I was proud of how Celt hung in and did his best and listened to me, but it sure wasn't worth any points!

I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did! It was nice to see you in person, even if I didn't take advantage of the fact. And, your dogs look well-loved and cared for! That's the important thing!

Looking forward to your "short story"!

I always make a special effort to thank the set out person because I've always thought it was a difficult job. After setting out for two days at Susan's I have even more respect for those folks who set out all the time in all kinds of weather and for some very loooong days.

I really missed not being able to chat with friends and watch folks run their dogs. I was completely out of the loop on everything! But as cold as it was, I guess I was lucky to be up and moving the whole time.

Oh Christine, I mentioned something to Susan about how I was sorry it had rained, causing us to leave ruts in her yard. She very graciously replied that it was a farm after all, and that sort of thing was to be expected....

Sue, you should certainly be proud of Celt (as I'm sure you are)! As you probably noticed, many of the novice dogs didn't manage an outrun, and the sheep weren't exactly cooperative. Celt has made great progress since your first forced novice run just a couple of months ago.

J.

Thanks, Julie! You are a hard worker and a very persuasive person.

Seeing how difficult I thought the sheep were from my point of view, I had great empathy for you two (I can't remember the man who was helping you) who were working with them continuously.

Thanks from all of us for the set-out folks!!!

Originally posted by bordersprings:

Border Springs Synopsis:

On Saturday we ran a very large driving course. Tom Lacy came in 1st (Peg) and 3rd (Megan). Sam placed 4th (Tucker) and 6th (Buff).

I've agonized over posting this, but I finally decided to toot my own horn a bit. Some of you have watched me struggle all year with Dhu. I think we finished 3 runs all year. Otherwise it has been a bunch of RETs and a few DQs. We're at the very bottom of the Ranch points list for the VBCA.

At Sam's trial, I used my compete run and two non-compete runs to run out on the field when Dhu didn't listen. I did the same thing at Craig's on Friday. On Saturday, Dhu listened, and I ran out of time at the pen and got a score! We were 5th in the Ranch class. The class was small, but that's okay. It felt really good to get a score and to have a decent run.

Best of all, I think we're making some progress.

Thanks for the support of some really good friends! :cool:

And congratulations, Julie!

Joan and Dhu, Here's some support from someone you don't even know!

You used your trialling for the most important thing, in my opinion, as a training tool to further your partnership with your dog. And you had great results. That's awesome!

Congratulations!

Morning Joan,

You go girl! Those runs are often the biggest triumph. To pick randomly from my recent experiences, the first time I ran Toby in Nursery, he cut in, crossed over, overran the lift point blah blah blah. It was a lot further than he'd ever gone. The second time, same trial, same point, HE KICKED OUT. I was as thrilled as if I'd won the class.

Congrats to everyone else too.

A.

Thanks, Sue! Thanks, Andrea! Yeah, I couldn't have been much happier if we'd won the class.

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

Yea Joan, Renee and I are very happy to hear things are looking up for you and Dhu. There have been several runs we've wanted to wring Dhu's neck for you.

Mark

And thanks, Mark. You could have been wringing her neck while I was looking for a place to curl up in the fetal position. :rolleyes: We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm encouraged now.

Originally posted by Joan:

On Saturday, Dhu listened, and I ran out of time at the pen and got a score! We were 5th in the Ranch class. The class was small, but that's okay. It felt really good to get a score and to have a decent run.

Joan, I am thrilled for you! Did you get a ribbon? Is it displayed proudly in your house? I know first hand how hard you have worked with Dhu. Giving Robin the doggie finger at Montpelier was pretty ballsy of her, so I know she has not been an easy project.

It is the first of many accomplishments for you and Dhu! Congratulations!

P.S. I have had three people ask me for that black & white farm scene you got. You were smart to grab it when you did especially with that frame (only one like it).

Robin, the butt kicks are starting to pay off.

Thanks, Christine! No ribbon, but that's okay. I still have the mental video and the good feeling. And I still have the blue ribbon we won in PN, not long after I got her. I've stared at it wistfully many times this year!

I could see that the farm scene was getting a lot of attention, so I decided to move quickly. :rolleyes: So far, I've resisted the temptation to give it to Jim early. I know he's going to love it!