BC Boards

How to decide male or female

There are 4 pups but one isnt a traditional black and white. So she is out. There is 1 female and 2 male. I have first pick they are all sold and I have to work this weekend so I cant see them untill Monday.

I have Jewel the female fixed Jack Russell with the napoleon complex. Dal always gets the best of her (holds her down sits on her) but, she is snippy. My mom's female bc is very fair she corrected her by pinning and then let her up. end of discussion.

Dal gets along with everyone and is neutered since 8 months.

The new puppy would be neutered but, not till about 9 months if I choose a boy. After 1 heat for a girl or 8 to 9 months which ever comes first.

I was told by glen highlands when I was planning to adopt that an adult female would not be appropriate for me. What about a puppy?

Help!!

I would opt for a male as well, for the most part, they just seem pretty happy go lucky. One question though, why do you prefer to spay after the first heat when the health benefits of spaying before the first heat are generally positive?

I have 2 females and 6 males, the boys are pretty easy (except for one but it's not a male thing) but the girls are constantly checking each other out and competing for our attention. I'd take a boy any day of the week ... even if my girls are smarter.

Maria

I think I dont want to wait for the first heat so much as to delay the spay a bit. There was just a study posted here that was proving an increase in height by spaying or neutering early. Plus there seems to be a delay in the joints closing with early neutering. Thus increasing the risk of injury

Originally posted by dallys mom:

I think I dont want to wait for the first heat so much as to delay the spay a bit. There was just a study posted here that was proving an increase in height by spaying or neutering early. Plus there seems to be a delay in the joints closing with early neutering. Thus increasing the risk of injury

I pay close attention to those things and am holding off neutering Quinn until at least 12 months but from what I understand the increase in height is pretty small. Also, there seems to be more evidence about the effects of early neutering on males than females. And finally the studies often seem to refer to "juvenile" spay/neuter which can be at 8-12 weeks. There are also the various health benefits to consider which seem to be greatest for a female if she's spayed before her first heat. There was a recent thread on this subject. There's a lot of debate going on in the dog world about it.

I think the most important thing you want to look at is the pup's temperament. I chose Quinn for his happy-go-lucky, "I'm a lover not a fighter" personality. He's submissive but very friendly and not fearful. He's always respected my female alpha and tolerates my capricous male Lhasa really well. He's been a great fit for my household at this time.

The difference in height I think is pretty insignificant, I do not think there is a big health benefit in neutering males early but the health benefit in spaying females before the first heat seems significant.

There is a big difference in a juvenile spay (which affects the growth plates) and a normal spay at 5 months or so..having said that, in our rescue we neuter the boys at 8-10 weeks and the females at 12 weeks. I've got three dogs of my own that were juvenile neuters and they've had no health issues, nor have they been "sissier" than other males. One is in fact, very dominant and pushy, lifted his leg at 4 months, while his brother still squats.

Do some searches, spaying before the first heat cuts the chances of future mammary cancer by about 70% I believe. It really is worth it in my opinion and not a big deal of difference between having it done at 5/6 months or 8 months..but it could mean a few extra years of happiness with your pooch.

Maria

I too would look at the diposition of each pup rather then go by what a male (or female) "should" act like.

What if you want a happy-go-lucky dog (usually people say the males are more so) but the most happy-go-lucky pup is a female? You never can tell.

I have a prefrence of females but not for any reason besides "I like girls". If there was a GREAT male pup that I love the diposition of - I would get him. It would be worth it - even if I prefer females.

I think the reason I felt there was an answer needed is that there is a pushier person who wants to take my place in pick. I told them to tell her to take the more white one then.lol

I want another good dog Like Dal that I can take anywhere and do anything I ask him or her. More drive would be a good plus too.

I think of Dal like the kids story Ferdinand the bull who only wants to smell the flowers.