BC Boards

Housetraining question?

Maddie doing great in my opinion she frequently goes to the bathroom outside and pees on the paper when She needs to go and I dont realize it. We are having problems with Pooping in one spot.

I dont know what is a realistic time frame for total house training?

At 8 weeks I'm thrilled with her but, my husband is the guy who keeps stepping in it.

I really did not expect either of my two to know they needed to outside or ask to go outside on their own until they were about 4 months old or so.

I am assuming you mean she is 8 weeks old in your post? Is that correct?

At 8 weeks old, my dogs had each been in my household for about a week. I was still taking them out around the clock to go potty and taking them out immediately after eating and after playing and everything. I did not expect them to really get it all together until around 4 months old when they could know they needed to go potty and tell me. I used a crate, so when they were in there, they would whine and I would instantly take them out. They did not need to whine much, as I just would take them out every time they woke up, had some water, had something to eat, played, etc.

I'm lucky, I work from home and just had them right here by my chair.

I can't help with paper training, as I did not do that. I figured it was worth it just take them outside, even in the middle of the night (once or twice for Kipp, several times for Tess) from the beginning. But if you are not home all day, obviously you can't do that.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

She is in a crate when I'm not with her or most times when she is sleeping and I cant be with her. Like I'm going upstairs to clean.

She was using a litter box with paper when I picked her up and I acutally placed the paper in her current spot to poop trying to minimize mess.

I Do everything you described with her but, I was looking for a timeframe to feel she could be done.

It's been a lifetime since I had a puppy.

There is no specific timeframe as it depends on the puppy and the consistency of the owners however most puppies have decent control by the time they're 3 months old. I've rarely had accidents after they were 3 months.

Maria

I don't know. I didn't paper train, like I said, so I have no idea how long it takes to train a second time for them to learn to go outside *only* when they are older after having been papertrained.

My two were considered reliable in the house when they were around 6 months old. But again, that is no paper training--just going outside only the whole time.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Thanks for the info I really want to do this totally right since we found out after adopting jewel at 9 months that she wasnt the least bit housetrained and infact had been beaten for it.

It took me a year to get a trust with her.

She is nearly 4 years old and still has occassional urine accidents

We have a doggie door and when Jackson discovered he could go out it to the the outside and not into oblivion, he was trained. At about 2.5 mos. I think at first it was just a new thing for him so he was excited about it. He went I think a lot more than he really needed to just so he could go in and out! LOL

I'm often embarassed to reveal this but Meg is still not really house trained. Sh'es almost 7 months and we go 3-4 weeks at a time with no accidents and then it will be no pee and just poop or visa versa or both for a few weeks. So far we have a good idea that it coincides with coyotes, tree felling, me being away, getting spayed, stress of any kind.

We just can't get all the scent up so the spots are the same. There's something to be said for that at least. Even when she can come and go as she pleases, if she's in one of those periods, she comes inside to poop.

Someday.

I actually think it took longer with Dublin because I used the puppy pads. It let him think it was okay to go in the house as long as it was on something different (ie a throw rug, a piece of paper). Once, when I was unpacking a box, he even pulled a sheet of bubble wrap off of the couch and went on that. Becuase of that, he wasn't reliably house-trained until he was 9 months or so. He was 95% at 5/6 months but if he was stressed at all, he would poop on the front hall runner until he was ~8-9 months.

My 2 pups are fully housebroken now, and although we don't know their age for certain, I believe them to be around 5 months. I got them from a shelter in late March and of course at first they went anywhere they felt like, but we got that pretty much under control after the first couple of weeks and then they just had a favourite spot (which unfortunately just so happened to be on Noah's bed - luckily it's a waterproof indoor/outdoor pet pillow so it cleaned pretty easy). Before that they also liked to go on something, several times I had to wash an old coat or blanket that the other dogs like to lay on and play with. Actually night time was the easiest, I had them crated at night and they never had any accidents in there, they'd whine and wake me up to get out of there right from the beginning. As everyone else has indicated though, each dog is different.