BC Boards

Play or not to play

bobh

I would like to know if most on the boards encourage there dogs to play together or not. I must say that I want my dogs to bond with me thus only let my dogs play with each other rearly. But I play with them each day.

Those of you that trial do you let your dogs play on a daily base with each other.

My dogs go out in the yard together a few times each day- The younger ones do play together, but mostly they all hang out on the porch waiting for me to come be with them (when I go out to pick up poop, or other yard chores, and sometimes kick their balls around while I'm doing that). Otherwise, they each get individual training time (at home, or herding, or at agility) or just "hang time" with me individually in the house. They are crated individually in between. I do think it's important that they have a pack hierarchy and relationship with each other to keep the peace, but they all would rather be with me than each other. If I were to sense that one of them was becoming too "dog oriented" I'd limit the "pack time".

You should ask my mom or sister if you want more info from the Rayburn clan. However, I can say that in our household, the dogs are almost always able to be with each other. Celt and Megan are friends, and they interact with Mac.

They are also attached to us, their humans. Sometimes, when we're walking or playing ball with them, one or the other gets focused on wanting to wrestle with or bother the other dog. They do follow each other, and this includes listening to the commands for the other dog. I think they were trained one at a time or together "syncronized", so the "independent movement" is being taught later.

However, I don't think there's anything wrong with the dogs playing with each other. This way they can entertain each other as well as themselves when we are gone, except the few times they're crated. I think it is worth it, even if they could maybe use a little more training for some things. ^/^ Good luck figuring out what works for you.

Our dogs go out in two groups (based upon where they are "housed") and are allowed to play with one another. Like Sam (see other thread) we try to limit dogs working other dogs and worry about dogs running into one another while playing (this has happened at our palce). As long as the group plays nice they can have at it. It's a good way to help keep them fit.

We do limit the time puppies play with one another so that we don't have to fight to get their attention off the other dog.

Mark

Our dogs do have virtually 24/7 contact with one or more of us and with each other. They are able to play indoors anytime, and outdoors when we are not working them (they are never out without one of us).

Celt does work certain dogs but not ours. I don't get worried about it because the stock is his total focus when he is working. Megan is not quite so intense on stock but that's just her - she works very well but will take an occasional sniff or potty break that Celt will never do.

Since they were never small puppies together, they are both very well bonded to the people in the family.

My dogs basically spend 24/7 with each other.

My poodle and borderjack play with each in the house and my acd is the fun police.

When training anything, it is done one on one.

I try to give them each their own playtime outside but at times, I will have all 3 out together.

My dogs don't usually initiate play with each other outside. My dogs prefer to play with me.

If we have friends over with their dogs, my borderjack is the only one who will actually play with the other dogs. Of course, this is once he gets over the fear of them.

The acd and poodle think others are beneath them.

A little of both. They each get play time and training with me one on one every day. However, I do allow them to play together inside and outside, but I am right there watching to keep an eye out. June has a tendency to get a little rough, and I typically put a pause in if it looks like she's about to hurt Bree - to avoid a brawl. She is learning to moderate herself some too.

Bree and June play together a fair amount but *prefer* to play with me. Ginger doesn't play very much with any of the other dogs - she only wants to play with me. Zippy has just started to occasionally join in the chase for the sock, but that's the extent of his playing with the girls (I think they're just a wee bit afraid of him).

Ginger is the fun police, and June is sometimes the hall monitor. :rolleyes: Bree is just a goofball, and Zippy is above dirtying his pretty white feeties playing with giiiirrrrls.