BC Boards

Split Breeds

I am brand new, having joined yesterday. I don't own a BC. Yet. I have lusted after the breed for years but have had to make do with field-bred goldens.

In case you don't know about them, they're goldens the way they used to be, they are the pariahs of the bench community. They are the working variety of the breed.

The split between "breed standard" goldens and working goldens is as profound and as complete as the split that's developed in BCs; but it took goldens maybe 30 years to get screwed up and it's only taken a few seriously demented BC breeders a measly 10 years to split the breed. These days, I am amazed to see, in the conformation ring, a BC that is NOT prancing like a largish though similarly-furnished Sheltie.

I think it's pretty odd that the two breeds to which I gladly give my heart are split in much the same way by the same sorts of people for the same dismaying results. I can't imagine, back 10 years ago, a BC breeder looking at the damage that's been done to the golden retriever...and seeing a good thing.

I am sure my BC will find me, soon enough. It's very nice being here.

Thanks.

Chris Ostrowski

Hi,

I am brand new at this, please pardon any faux pas.

I am just a lowly dog owner, with no knowledge of field trials, etc., excepting the movie "Babe".

I have just today brought home a border collie mix from a lab rescue. Is he eligible for discussion?

I had no idea of this AKC controversy. I had a golden for 10 years, and she was a GREAT dog. We took in a golden from a relative and he was NUTS, became agoraphobic and the very unpredictably agressive. It makes sense having learned what I just did about the split. It is a tragedy for this to be happening to other breeds.

Anyway, my question is about my new adoptee. He is border collie/lab and was raised with 5 purebred labs at a house with access to a farm. We live on 5+ acres, but are currently lacking anyting to herd excepting children and cats, neither of which I think will take too kindly to being herded.

He appears to be a very laid back dog, laying around, but up and following anytime I get up. He has not been around children in his former life.

Any tips on meeting his needs and our needs for him to be a housedog, with plenty of outside exercise?

Thanks for any help and happy Memorial Day, praying for our soldiers abroad and families that have suffered losses over the many years of war.

Tammy

Hey, congrats on adopting a Border Collie. I hope you have a long and happy relationship with your new family member. Many of the board folks share their lives with mixes. A Border collie is a lifestyle, not a registry, as you'll soon find out if you hang around here! :rolleyes:

As to your other questions, you'lll find lots more information and help if you start a topic under the "general" section. But a short answer is, if your dog seems healthy and happy with his current level of exercise, then you don't need to change anything - for now! But be advised that sometimes a new adoptee can settle in and surprse you - be prepared and do come back often - we love pictures!