BC Boards

anyone heard about this?

AKC new regulation - "Blue eyes (with one, both or part of one or both eyes being blue) in dogs other than merle, are acceptable but not preferred."
someone posted this on another board, posting abount an AKC ammedment to the BC standerd? anyone heard about this? what really made me roll my eyes though was this responce:

So you are telling me that Black and White borders with a blue eye is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in my books

lol tell me again why the sheep care? :rolleyes:

I've got one for you...

Belgian Malinois pups advertised here this week

"father FR3, SCHB,CDX, AKC herding title"

"mother FR1, PSA1"

Both dogs are registered with the CKC. Pups are in British Columbia which is a very, very long way from here. Could someone explain all the titles to me please?

Originally posted by Bounce:

Both dogs are registered with the CKC. Pups are in British Columbia which is a very, very long way from here. Could someone explain all the titles to me please?

French Ring Level 3, Schutzhund Level B, Companion Dog Excellent, AKC herding title (self explanatory)

French Ring 1, Protection Sport Association Level 1 title.

You can google the sports for more information on them.

There are not many breeders of Malinois here. There are a few VERY good breeders of Malinois though. This may or may not be one of those breeders.

RDM

Thank you for explaining those abbreviations. I've always thought Malis were beautiful dogs but I'm not looking for one. My sheps dad has a SchIII title and two of her brothers are on Ontario police forces. Sara has a rock steady temperment but no titles to put beside her name. How much value is put on an AKC herding title? I thought the AKC didn't look any further than stance, coat and eye colour?

Originally posted by Bounce:

How much value is put on an AKC herding title? I thought the AKC didn't look any further than stance, coat and eye colour?

Working Border collie people are quite unique in their distaste for AKC style herding trials / titles; most other "herding" breed fanciers are quite happy to get AKC titles.

RDM

AKC herding trials are designed to include all breeds in the "Herding Group" -- IOW, they're designed for the lowest common denominator. An AKC herding title is considered something of an accomplishment in breeds which have little or no herding ability left. A working border collie is, or should be, overqualified for nearly all AKC level tests/trials, so the titles that come from "passing" them don't mean much.

Just to give you an idea of the difference - I have trained several times at places that hold AKC trials. My just-starting-out dogs worked in the paddocks where the majority of the classes were held. Not just that, but where in a Border Collie trial dogs are required to hold sheep and work them in an open field with little or no help from the handler (other than commands), most of the classes allow you to walk with the sheep, send your dog any way, and obstacles lie along the fencelines.

The funny thing is, I've often heard complaints that the AKC trials are based TOO much on "the way a Border Collie works", ie, points are taken off for the dog crossing on the gathers, disturbing the sheep too much on the lift, barking, and so on.

Originally posted by MrSnappy:

There are not many breeders of Malinois here. There are a few VERY good breeders of Malinois though. This may or may not be one of those breeders.

RDM

I happen to know both of those dogs quite well. Their owners are responsible and knowledgeable, and the litter has real potential...if you're interested in serious working Mals. Most sane people aren't :rolleyes: