BC Boards

Nursery Finals

cgt

A: No, I'm not there. I don't know how that rumor got started. I know as much as you, I'm afraid.

It does look like things are tough. Let's see, the Nursery sheep are last year's Open sheep, right? Range Rambouillets? How big do you think the course is?

charlie

"How big do you think the course is?"

Let's see how my memory is.

If it's the same course as last year the outrun is about 300 yds. The field is flat out beyond the cross drive line where a hill begins to rise. The sheep were set near the top of a rise that was 3 stories high (I think). The dogs cannot see the sheep once near the bottom of the hill on the outrun and many crossed below the sheep. The fetch brings the sheep off the hill onto the flat and just before the fetch panels there is a gravel road through the field but not parallel to the cross drive line and this road is flanked on both sides by a fairly deep (but not steep) drainage ditch. The sheep go into the far ditch and up onto the road but then must be pushed through the closer ditch. Once through the ditch there isn't much distance to the fetch panels so any problems steering while going through the ditch creates difficulty in making the fetch panels. Once inside the gravel road the field is flat and you get a sense of how big the sheep are since you loose sight of your dog. The right-hand drive I think was about 150 yds followed by the cross drive of the same length. The cross drive angles towards the gravel road with the panels near the edge of the ditch. The sheep were happy to cross the ditch and go up onto the road. Last year there were places on the cross drive where dogs could not hear in the wind. The field had grass that was 1-2 feet tall in places (different than our eastern grass and not as thick). Once at the pen you loose sight of your dog and the sheep closest to you and the pen often didn't feel the presence of the dog.

Mark

Mark,

Your memory is soooo good. You are many years away from the "old and forgetful years".

I cannot visualize how you could not see your dog or the sheep at the pen. I have a picture of my dog and Lyle at the pen and it looks like there is nothing to prevent you from seeing them. Can you explain to this jug head.

P.S. They did not get the pen.

Mark,

Your memory is soooo good. You are many years away from the "old and forgetful years".

I cannot visualize how you could not see your dog or the sheep at the pen. I have a picture of my dog and Lyle at the pen and it looks like there is nothing to prevent you from seeing them. Can you explain to this jug head.

P.S. They did not get the pen.

Terry,

actually I was relaying what Renee said "can't see the dog behind the sheep". With 5 sheep (that are at least waist high on you) bunched up tight and the dog has to push on them to move them and your dog is about 21" tall it's easy to loose sight of your dog.

Mark

Terry - Those sheep are so big and tall that you can't see over them, and there are 5 so you can't see around them. It blew my mind to get to the pen last year and not be able to see Jet, and she's a pretty tall bitch. The dogs had to get pretty close to the sheep at the pen as well.

Originally posted by Shoofly:

Sheep were pretty good in the morning but got really difficult in the afternoon.

It always seems to be that way, doesn't it? Particularly when the weather is warm. It seems to me that if someone turns in a winning score in the afternoon then they really kicked butt.

charlie

Andrea: Sure. Tell Sam that she is looking very young and accomplished. And tell her that - while I am not there - I still have her ginger snaps Right Here.

Robin: I would have liked to go, but... (1) Helping with the Soldier Hollow thing kind of used up all my don't-show-up-for-work days. (2) No money to travel. But most importantly, (3) I have no dog to bring. If I had a dog to run there, I would naturally forget about (1) and (2) and go anyway. Just to be there.

c