BC Boards

Genetics?

Journey

OK, need some help here....

Can inbreeding, line breeding "cause" a disease not known to a particular breed? Specifically - TNS in the Border Collie. Can the fact that some lines are so heavily linebred/inbred cause a mutation with the result being TNS? I know - this is clear as mud but I hadn't heard of TNS in any lines other than OZ/NZ "show" bred Border Collies.

Thanks!

Karen

Can inbreeding, line breeding "cause" a disease not known to a particular breed? Specifically - TNS in the Border Collie. Can the fact that some lines are so heavily linebred/inbred cause a mutation with the result being TNS? I know - this is clear as mud but I hadn't heard of TNS in any lines other than OZ/NZ "show" bred Border Collies.
All individuals are carrying various random deleterious mutations. These are normally recessive, meaning it takes two of the genes for an individual to have the disease. In most cases, these varied, random mutated genes are simply carried harmlessly as one of the two genes in an area of DNA, and never meet up with another like itself in an individual to cause disease. Inbreeding increases the chances of any two random mutations pairing up to cause a disease such as TNS.

So the answer is yes inbreeding can cause a disease to be expressed from otherwise unknown deleterious mutations individuals are carrying.

And the answer is no inbreeding does not cause these mutations. They are already there in all animals.

Denise Wall, PhD

ABCA Health and Genetics Committee Member

I was being told that the "disease" (TNS) is in "all Border Collie" lines.
If this is true it's news to me. AFAIK it has only been confirmed in Australian and NZ conformation lines.

Whether the working sector of border collies is carrying the TNS mutation in significant numbers is unknown as of yet.

As always, the best general defense against this sort of weirdo mutation (CL being another example) doubling up to cause disease in progeny is to avoid inbreeding.

More and more I see working breeders proudly announcing linebred puppies. It scares me. Short term gains from inbreeding lead to significant harm longterm for breeds.

Denise