BC Boards

whisp line?

sweet_ceana

I got my puppy Ceana from a farm out on the plains. Her mother was a companion and worked around goats and her father worked with horses. Ceana was a part of her mother's first litter ever and she is my crazy little runt who is curently running laps around the house with a slipper. Her mother's owner said she was from the Whisp line because of a marking on her legs. Does anyone know any thing about this?

I would assume your breeder was talking about Dalziel's Int Sup Champ Wisp.

Dalziel's Wisp was a very famous and very popular sire. He sired litters both overseas, and at the end of his life, in North America, and so there are a great many dogs who feature him in their pedigrees. I don't know about the marking on the legs - Wisp had a lot of white and a big coat but didn't necessarily stamp his pups in any particular way physically.

So, saying your pup boasts Wisp in her lineage doesn't give you a lot of information about her potential, really. Wisp combines with some lines well and others not so well, just like any major line, and as time goes on his influence is passing to the descendants he helped shape.

I'd say enjoy your pup for who she is and what she becomes in the future. If you are interested, you'll find out more about how her breeding shaped that, as you get to know her (and the Border collie breed) better. :cool:

My Ben is a great grandson. Ditto him on the looks. He favors his grandsire on the top, Tony Diaz's Imp Roy, and a great grandsire on the bottom, who were both big hairy classically marked rose eared dogs.

Hi Elizabeth,

Bea is doing great!She's a really nice pup. Very calm and self assured. I've gotten alot of really nice compliments about her at trials, ie her behavior, as she is only 4 months old. Then of course there is the person who refered to her as Beauty and the Bea...st. when she was playing with a pup named Beauty at a trial :rolleyes:

Bea is out of Elizabeth's Black and Zoe.

Nancy O

Nancy and Elizabeth,

A rose ear is an ear that folds back so that you can see the inside of the ear--many sighthounds have such ears. I've posted a link to an Irish wolfhound site. If you look at the dogs in the first picture, you'll see rose ears.

http://www.irishwolfhounds.org/

Or, if you look at this greyhound rescue site, you can see that most of the dogs pictured have rose ears.

http://www.storyfoundry.com/greyhound/index.cfm

J.

Julie

So now I know about rose ears....I think that is what my Mist might have??

Nancy

Great to hear that Bea is doing well. I'd love a pic sometime. My Mitch pup is a moose.....a little bit of an awkward ugly duckling right now but I think he'll grow into himself eventually. He's already keen to work...Yikes! Luckily he doesn't fit through the field fence anymore.