BC Boards

Not a border - pit bull mix vomiting

Woodenlion

Okay, Let me preface this by saying I have told her (my sister) she needs to find another vet. Any thoughts or suggestions?

5 mos. he is 30 lbs. Pitbull/Shar Pei Mix, Male

He is teething. Although he is gaining weight he keeps throwing up his food. They started grinding his dry (Ekenuba) and mixed with water so he could keep it down.

He continuely drools, looks like thick sticky eggwhites. The heavyier the drools then they know to take him outside because he will be vomiting, which he does and its alway a mucus plug with food incased in a mucus sack followed by another plug.

He does fine with his morning feeding, they put him in his crate, hes let out at Noon for about 30 mins and put back in the crate. He is feed dinner at about 6:00 pm. Which he inhales and a few hours later begins the drool and vomits. He will try to eat the vomit, but they immediately remove him from the area and clean up.He has been wormed and check every time (4 times) for other types of worms. He is on heartworm medication.

The vet has never done blood work or xray's but seems to think it has something to do with the liver. She has given them pepcid to calm his stomach but that comes up with the food.He has 1 bowel movement a day, and it is not runny or messy, but formed. No bleeding or pain.

They are guessing he has food allergies, to the corn by products, however they have tried him on chicken and rice and he vomited that also. He also drinks a good amount of water.

After having his dinner he is frisky for abit and then becomes very sluggish and gets back into his crate and sleeps.

They need to change vets or at least get the current to do some tests.

1. I would find a way to slow his eating down - throw on crate floor, bigger bowl, something in middle of bowl which makes him slow down, hand feed - find something...

2. Try feeding twice a day

3. Maybe try feeding with feet up on a counter or something. There is a problem some dogs have with the esophageous but I don't know what is called. The dog being fed in a standing type postion seems to help.

Not to scare you: We adopted a dog years ago who did something similar and after months of this, nothing was ever found even with testing but the vomiting got worse and we finally euthanized her and she was maybe 2 yrs old at the time. The vomit changed to a very bright green and it wouldn't stop even with drugs. You need to find the cause before it gets worse.

Good luck

If he's throwing up mucas, is it possible that it's collitis? Tiga was throwing up mucas and that's what it was. Although his throwing up was mixed with diarhea, but our vet said the mucas was a sign of collitis. We got some meds for it and it cleared up.

I agree that they need to get a second opinion. I would ask for more testing.

I would recommend they do x-rays of his esophagus and abdomen to rule out megaesophagus. Doing bloodwork would also be a good idea to rule out any obvious problems. Some young dogs can have a problem with the liver called a porto-systemic shunt...but I'm not sure what the symptoms are. I think they should find a vet who is more interested in diagnostics and finding out what the exact cause of the vomiting is.

What brand of heartworm meds is he on?

The once a month drugs are called enterohepatic drugs. Sentinel/Interceptor circulates through the system repeatedly and the liver helps the system remove it.The drugs continually recirculate through the small intestines and liver through bile. Bile is sent from the liver to the small intestines to help digest fats and other substances and then it goes back to the liver.

The active ingredient in Interceptor/Sentinel type drugs is secreted in bile and is then reabsorbed from the intestines to continue its protection. But it doesn't absorb all of it. It takes about 30 days for the drug to be fully absorbed and excreted.A dog vomiting periodically throughout the month can be a reaction the bile/drug passing through the stomach and making him nauseus.

My Tess is a mega-esophagous dog - has thrown up since she was brought home at 8 weeks old - had an xray done of her at 12 weeks which showed the mega-E - - - this means the nerves and muscles of the esophagous are not formed and the eso cannot push the food down to the stomach -is more or less a large flaccid tube - - you might have it checked for that - - has been a lot of trial and error - and not to mention carpet gone and now wood floors - she does really well on canned food -raised dishes - and lots of exercise afterwards - as gravity is the only was to get it down - -

keep us informed as to what they find out - -

Maggie, Tess and Roz