BC Boards

Needing Help with My Border Collie...

I have a female border collie who is very hyper. We got her two years ago (she is four now) from someone who couldn't take care of her any more.

She is not fixed, she has her papers - the young woman we got her from was going to breed her.

As I said before she is very hyper. Most of the time she is in some kind of cage. She has a 6 x 8 foot pen and a cage (about) 4 x 2 feet. We can't put her on a chain because she gets tangled up. She can't be let off to just run, even though we live on a farm we live right near a very busy road (She runs away).

We really have a problem here. I want to train her in herding, we have sheep and a few goats. I can't bring her to a trainer, I don't know of any that live around here and I don't have much money. I don't think I'd have a very good way to getting her and myself to a trainer too. I know the dog really wants to herd, she runs in circles All The Time.

I was on another msg board, got a few tips, and someone told me about this one. I really wants to learn more; Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Cheyenne

I think a little more information is needed, what exactly do you do with this dog to help her expend some of her natural born energy. Is she hyper all the time or is she hyper because she's simply not exercised enough?

Maria

First things first, get her spayed ASAP. It would be more expensive to deal with unwanted litters and if she is not a proven working dog, there is no reason to ever consider breeding her anyway.

You mention she spends most of the time in a cage. What types of activities do you do with her? If she is hyper she is telling you she needs much more stimulation, both mental and physical.

Work on obedience and trick training. If you want to work the dog eventually, you need to get basic commands in place. A solid recall is necessary for both work and having her under control. There is an excellent post somewhere on the boards on teaching recall, do a quick search.

The main concern is the amount of time she spends in the cage. A border collie needs to be a integral part of the pack and be a family member.

There are plenty of issues here and others more qualified than I can give you some more suggestions.

If it were me, I would spay her, enroll in obedience classes, and purchase a long line and have the dog tethered to me at all times outside and in the house instead of caging her for a start.

Good Luck

Lauren

Thank you! I'm going to talk with my parents about getting her spayed. I know a cage is aweful for any border collie.

I walk her about every hour and a half to two hours, play with her in our garage before and after walks, and I'm trying to train her in some tricks/commands - Sit, Down, Heel ect. The only command she knows since we got her is "Kennel Up".

Do I need to spend more time with her?

If you get a long line (like a 30-foot clothesline or something) you can teach her to play fetch and frisbee. That would be one thing you can do with her that will be fun for both you and get her running in a constructive way, burning some energy.

Can you tell us what state you are in or what is the nearest large city? Someone on the board here could direct you to a good obedience class and perhaps agility/flyball and a place to take herding lessons.

If you don't want to give that information, then I would suggest doing a search of the boards (search link is in the upper right corner there) for the nearest city or for your state and see what other people have asked for/mentioned before to get you started.

Border collies are bred to herd, yes, but they can be happy if they have other outlets as well.

Are there any dog parks near you? If there is a fenced one, you could maybe go there now and again and let her play with other dogs. Or play fetch there--she can't get away from you or into traffic if it is fenced in.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas. (:

When you teach a dog a recall, it is good to have them know their name first, so here is the link for teaching your dog her name if she does not know it:

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=11;t=000015

and here is the link for training the recall:

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=11;t=000016

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Cheyenne,

Could you tell us your dog's name? What is a day in her life like in detail? What would you like it to be? From that we can help you a little better. So often people come on this board and leave unintended impressions because of a lack of detail. For example, I suspect that she doesn't go from a crate to a pen back and forth all day without ANY exercise. I imagine you have her indoors with you in the evenings, etc. Are there things that you love her for, are proud of, etc. You've gotten important valuable advice so far...help us help you even more.

I live in Upstate NY (Albany area) - Don't know if that is near you. There are a bunch of trainers (obedience, agility and herding) around me - most of which I never knew until I got Dublin.

There are also a few (herding) trials coming up throughout the State this summer if you are interested in herding with her in the future.

She came with the name Reggie, even though she's a female.

At nine or ten AM she is let out of her cage and gets a drink then we go for a walk - half a hour to hour long. I bring her back into the garage and work with her on tricks/commands. Then she goes back in her cage inside, or if the weather's good she goes outside to her cage/kennel. 12:00pm-1:00pm I walk her agian (about half an hour) and play with her in the garage, or outside. Then I do the same thing at 3:00pm, she eats at 4:00pm/5:00pm, gets a walk, then goes back into a kennel untill 6 or seven. The last time she's walked is eight or nine PM. Then she sometimes stays out at night and sometimes is in her kennel in the garage.

I want to get her doing more but I don't know what to do with her. She really needs training, but I don't know if I could afford bringing her to a trainer.

She does know "kennel up" and sit, but that's about it.

Hmm, tell me if you need any more info please.

I'd agree about getting her spayed as your first priority.

Second, I think you are doing a great job as far as her getting exercised. She's getting more time and attention than most pet dogs get, and more than my Border Collies get on a given day.

Someone close by you could go to for help with basic obedience ( a good stop and recall would really help you) would not be that expensive and well worth the money.

If you really can't get to lessons with a good trainer of working Border Collies there are some good books and videos available.

Starting Your Border Collie on Cattle Sheep or Ducks is good and BorderCollies.com has a good selection of books and videos that would make excellent birthday or Christmas presents for someone interested in training their first dog.

And, there's always here if you have other questions. Also www.littlehats.net has lots of good info for beginners.

Best of luck!

I think you are doing a great job so far. I also agree with the spay - having an unwanted litter would just complicate things so much at this point when you have a good head start on what you need to do. Her recovery, during which she'll need to be kept quite quiet, will give you a chance to get your head around the next step. :rolleyes:

You may as well work on her recall. Make a line 30 to 50 feet long out of clothesline. Start with her very close and ask for the recall. "That'l do" is traditional but if she knows something else that's fine. If she ignores you give the line a tug strong enough to get her attention (don't go crazy though), and let the line go slack. Step back a bit (ie, don't crouch at her and beg her) and repeat. Continue until she will come readily at the short distance. Then gradually increase the distance.

I might add that if she responds to a verbal correction (like "aaah") at any time, use that instead. The idea is just to get her attention, not cause her pain.

The next "game" you can play is Are you Coming?. After her recall is good, walk around, then suddenly walk away from the area. If she doesn't come right away, quietly say That'l do (or whatever you use). Do this until she gets up and follows you everytime you go somewhere, all on her own.

This is all stuff you can work on away from stock and it will tire her out and make her much more livable. Meanwhile go to some local sheep trialing events and meet some people, see what you think. Lessons run from $30 to $80 per session, and you can go as little as once a month or as often as the instructor will agree to. Once every other week or so is what most people just starting out seem to do best with. Boarding training, where you drop your dog off and get someone else to train her for you, runs from $350 a month on up - maybe $450 being the middle of the road.

The good thing about training her to work is that not only do you get a dog you can trust, she can be useful - you'd be surprised where she would come in handy.

Good luck!

Originally posted by TheStacks:

If it were me, I would spay her, enroll in obedience classes, and purchase a long line and have the dog tethered to me at all times outside and in the house instead of caging her for a start.

Good Luck

Lauren

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's great that you're able and willing to work with her as much as you are and you've gotten some really good advice, tips, and feedback to get you started. Especially the spay part

The only thing I could offer, is that I seem to understand that she is kenneled in the garage or outside depending on the weather. Are your parents against her being in the house? If not, you could start introducing her slowly to the house, chances are, if she's not a part of the "family" that she's also feeling isolated when she's alone, thus also reinforcing all the "happiness" translated into hyper, when she's not.

Most dogs, and not just BC's, do best when they're part of the house, part of the routine, and even if they're kenneled part of the time, they still get to keep an eye on things if they so choose.

Obviously, I understand this is not necessarily within your realm of control but it might be something to talk with your parents about.

Good luck,

Maria

I agree with everyone else but my question is:

When she is hyper? All time, when going in the house, greeting people, etc...

If she is hyper when in the house it could be that she is just excited to be part of the group or in the house free. Maybe given more time she would settle down once she is acclimated as part of the group.

She may just be a little confused about her role with your family.

My parents don't like the idea of her being in the house because our house is so small and I have a little brother who's four that she has nipped at before. We had her in the house when we first got her, but she had to move out.

I don't think she'll be in our house untill our bigger house gets done - still being built, and I don't know how long that would take; I think we have a year till we move in.

She does come into the house when I walk her, I let her come in and sit for few minutes.

I want to try bringing her around everywhere I go today, she would like that.

Oh very good news!! Now it's time to get her focused on you and do LOTS of training. She will be way too busy to nip at your family members, unless there's a more serious problem.

I have confidence she will reward your dedication with a great relationship that will give you both many years of pleasure.

Keep posting!

That's great! When transitioning into the house, you may want to keep her on a leash by you. It will help her learn to hang out with you, and ignore other things that are going on in the house (like your little brother!)

Most BCs learn to settle down quite nicely when in the house provided they get enough activity outdoors!

One other thing I would do is get a couple training books - maybe your library would have some. I have found that Dog Training for Dummies, and Dog Tricks for Dummies are both pretty good and easy to follow. Then just start teaching her different commands and tricks. Most any basic training at this point will really help you build a good relatioinship with with Reg.

Keep us posted!