BC Boards

PLEASE READ!!!

I am an owner of two border collies, both from the same litter. My male, Max, has balding "elbows".. i'm not sure what its from! His sister, Sadie, has them as well, bad not as severe as his! By elbows, i mean the top of the from legs. Before these dogs, i had another wonderful BC who had the same thing happen, but this time it seems more severe, also. PLEASE contact me ASAP with ANY info or if you have had this happen to your bc, as well.

This one sleeps in a crate, and mostly lays on ceramic flooring and a wooden deck. My other BC that had this problem, as well, layed anywhere in the house, which included alot of carpeting and even stone on fireplace. I cant remember what the vet said it was on Shadow, but he just gave us saav cream to put on it, but that did not help one bit.

Well I would make sure he/she always have something soft to lay on. Maybe it will help.

I know I don't like laying on hard floor so I am guessing that my dogs don't either. And I am sure if we all did lay on the hard floor, fur or not, we'd have hard elbows too to take the abuse of the floor instead of the direct bones.

All the dogs I have seen that had them laid on the same floors you mentioned.

But this is all just my opinion and knowledge from dogs I know, nothing more.

Katelynn

Bald elbows on the outside of the elbow are nothing more than callouses from laying on hard surfaces. It's nothing at all to worry about unless there are open sores, infection, etc.

Some dogs prefer hard surfaces. My old Mickey had calloused elbows. It took years for them to build up though.

How old are your dogs?

Don't panic. She's right. It's just callouses from laying on hard surfaces. One of my dogs likes to sleep in the bathtub (he's an odd duck) and in additon to the callouses he made his elbows swell. I just put a dog bed in the bathroom for a awhile (It was back when I lived alone- my husband would sigh and shake his head if I tried to do that now!) and the swelling went away. Large dogs get that alot too from the pressure. You can try to put bag balm or a product like that on them to soften them but they may be permanent now.

Jenny Glen

yup, almost all my dogs have the same thing, Ripley who likes to bask in the sun is ofetb stretched out on cement or wood, Happy sleeps on the floor, and I have no Idea why Misty has em lol

see? in this pic taken 2 days ago Misty was asleep in my lap, as you can see she has the balding elbow there.

fb713e30.jpg

Our Labs have them on their elbows too. They have never hurt anything or become sore. Ace & Cheyenne are on a concrete surface in a chain link fenced area. As for our BC, she's just 7 months old.Ace is 4years and Cheyenne is going on 2years. You can put some A&D ointment (yea, its the baby diaper rash stuff on their elbows, it helps with other scrapes and skin problems.) We've used it on the horses, goats, and dogs...oh and the two legged babies too!!!!