BC Boards

Nutro

CollieKat

I've used it. Missy liked it and did good on it. I think the food is better than many, but for the money there are better values.

The one thing I don't like is how they seperate the grain into flour, bran etc. so they can add more grain than meat, but meat is still the first ingredient listed. Just my two cents worth...

I fed it to my late Pomeranian for a few years. She threw up bile frequently in the AM, and since it was bile I never connected it to the food (everyone told me it was a "small dog thing"). When I switched her to Wysong for other reasons the vomiting magically stopped.

When I first got Solo, I fed him the Nutro active dog formula. He had terrible sloppy diarrhea when he did eat it (which wasn't often). Solo was very stressed out at the time, and not very healthy, so I can't say it was the food alone but when I switched him to California Natural he also got magically better.

I don't know what kinds of foods you have available, but there are better foods out there, or at least foods that my dogs did better on.

Over the past two months I have tried food after food after food. Chicken soup, wellness, and other top of the line foods. Each time during the switch period the more of the new the more explosive her diarrhea became. It was miserable. She could not hold it sometimes. Back to the crappy science diet I went and each time no more diarrhea. I am now trying Nutro and she seems to be doing great. Pooping 2 times a day instead of 6. Coat is looking good. I think it is individual. The richness of the better foods must not agree with her tummy.

I think it's individual too. Tiga was on the Nutro for a while and seemed to be doing well except for his allergies weren't getting much better and he was throwing up every morning as well. Same as Melanie was saying, just bile. Now that I think about it that seems to have stopped since we started him on the hypoallergenic food.

When I was involved in rescue, Nutro was the organizations standard food. Many many dogs were brought back from malnourished pathetic condition to gleeming shining health on Nutro kibble. It is a good value kibble and most dogs should do well eating it. There are other higher quality and more expensive dog foods and you will probably hear alot of responses about how brands X, Y, and Z and way better because of ingredients, %composition, etc. The people on this board can be fanatical about these issues....heck they are fanatical enough to follow a Border Collie Board. There are always going to be individual cases where a certain dog doesn't do well on a particular diet and needs to eat something else.

Nutro is a good value food. There may be better quality and probably more expensive dog food available. I have heard that dog kibble is very very expensive in the UK. You'll have to compare and decide.

Just from personal experience:

When I fed Nutro Puppy to my 13 week old pup he had to poop twice in the morning and both times HUGE amounts. No spacing between the two (how did that fit in there??). Switched to ProPlan Puppy (not advocating it as great, but it's been good for my dog) and he had one normal size BM in the morning. I never switched back.

My boys went from Pedigree to Nutro Naturals after one had to have surgery and started looking real scruffy. They all love it and are doing well. I get tons of coupons from Nutro and it is usually on sale at my pet shop. I don't think I have ever paid full price for it. But now that I read Melanie & Tammys posts; I have noticed that one of mine throwns up a bit in the am some days. But they all graze on grass like they are cows. I might try switching just him and see how it goes. I think it is all in how the dog does on it.

That's what Tiga was doing too, grazing on the grass in the mornings. The vet said not to worry too much about it, but I really didn't like that at all. Since he started on the new food he hasn't done that once. I have noticed a difference in how much he's pooping too. On the Nutro he did the same as yours Lauren, twice every morning and then again once at night. We were feeding him a bit too much and didn't realize it though. Just followed the back of the bag but the vet said he was a bit overweight. We mainly switched because of his allergies, but now he's not throwing up anymore and he's only pooping once a day and a lot less and smaller stools.

Every dog is different as I've learned. I think the best you can do is find a food that has good high quality ingrediants and try it, if the dog does good then keep with it, if not then try another. That's the game I've been playing for a while.

I have Phoenix on Nutro.. just switched him from Nutro puppy to adult. He poops small loads couple times a day. Seems to be doing well, cept now ya'll brought up the grass grazing, which he does alot! hmmmm!

My older dogs: Mirra(dobie mix ~ 55 lbs) has been eating Nutro for quite awhile now, beautiful coat no probs that I know of and she is 12 yrs old and at times plays like a puppy. Sitka (big girl 90lbs akita mix), 7 y/o.. was having some bad limping issues, we thought we were gonna have to have surgery.. possible (?tplo?, I think thats what it is called). Within several weeks of switching her, to Nutro less active with Glucosimine and Chondroiton, magically no more limping AT ALL. Now we are on hold for surgery, I want to wait to see if it is the food or just the hot summer weather that is making the difference???, which will tell me it is not the original prob the Vet said he thought it was, but possibly arthritis?? who knows.. I just know she is doing well and playing with Phoenix running and bouncing like she has not done since she was a wee pup.