BC Boards

best collars

My guys have leather collars with plates I got done at various places. I have seen several Bill Boatman collars and like them, and am gradually switching over to the plastic-coated style as the old collars wear out (they get wet a lot now). They are inexpensive, have a wide selection of styles, are scrupulous about making sure your order is right (counseling you on sizes etc) and apparently have prompt service. You can't order online but they have great telephone service. You can browse their catalog online.

http://www.billboatmancoinc.com/

There's also Wholesale Kennel Supply in Siler City, NC. They have built a pretty high reputation nationwide. You can order from them online but I don't find their selection as varied or broad as Bill Boatman: http://www.wholesalekennel.com/petcare/index.php

I've got the "Boatman style" collars for everyday, particularly with the cattle and the mud we've got right now. They are SO easy to clean, have four LONG lines on the attached brass ID tag, don't mess up the fur, have an "in-line" ring for leash attachment (so there's nothing dangling to catch on anything), and are inexpensive. You can even get them with a reflective strip for night-time walking. And Boatman's has fabulous, fast customer service.

I also have nylon with the Boomerang tags for "dress-up" - like therapy dog visits, where I want a collar that hasn't been out in the pasture. The nylon collars can go in the laundry and are easy on/off with the quick-connect snaps (and, no, I've never had a problem with them disconnecting on their own).

It's all a matter of personal preference and what works for you and your dog.