BC Boards

New non grain kibble

Denise Wall

For anyone interested, there's a new product called Innova EVO, evolutionary diet ( http://www.naturapet.com ).

It has the same ingredients as regular Innova dry except no grains or sunflower oil.

I don't think it's hit the stores yet but it's rumored to be fairly expensive for a kibble. Still, if your dog is having allergy problems from not tolerating grain and you don't want to try a raw diet, it might be worth it.

Way cool. Up to now my only option for my grain-intolerant dog was those horrendously expensive dehydrated diets - or feeding him the best grain-based kibble possible and dealing with the effects.

Thanks Denise!

You're welcome Becca.

Denise, what do you think about the 42% protein level?

I think it's fine. On a raw diet, they get a higher percentage than that and do great. I'd much rather see the 42% protein than 25% with the biggest percentage carbs from potato. Dogs don't need carbs so there's not much left except fat and protein.

yes, it's a kibble. I couldn't get the site to open over this slow connection, but what I used to feed is called Supreme-V. It's a fermented food, so was a bit stinky. They had problems at first with packaging, but seemed to have worked those problems out. I used to get it from my agility training center, and I think they still may carry it.

BalanceDiet apparently has/had a lot of problems with customer service. I heard enough negative reports that I've never wanted to try the stuff.

Honest Kitchen makes a decent dehydrated diet that is meant to be fed with raw meat/bones -- it is complete by itself but "lite" in terms of fat and protein so that for normal dogs (not old, not fat) stuff needs to be added to it. They have two grain-free products. I used to buy Force (the chicken-based grain-free food) but stopped when Solo started to hate it (which is odd because he is not a picky dog) and also because it's very expensive. In addition, it seems to have a LOT of veggies in it and my dogs have giant poop on it, which tells me that there's a bunch of stuff that isn't getting digested -- not that I think 0% stool output is really a desirable goal but if I'm going to pay that much money I don't want it to have that much fiber.

One product I've used that would be fabulous for traveling -- but costs an arm and a leg and is hard to find -- is Wysong Archetype. It comes in freeze-dried burgers, has all the good stuff that raw diet folks like, and my dogs react to it like it's crack. There's a raw food distributor near my mom's place in NoVA and I get Archetype from her, but I've never found another source for it. (She's great, and also carries a variety of Oma's Pride and Hare Today ground raw foods.) SitStay.com does have a similar product from Nature's Variety and I ordered some so in a couple of days I can report on that.