BC Boards

stitches--advice needed

blackacre

Hobbes just had a big hole ripped in his side whilst running at the park. The usual story, a stupid Golden came running out of nowhere and grabbed him while he was running by. Seven or eight stiches.

So, to my question: he's entered in a trial next weekend. Think I can I run him?

A.

Hey Andrea!

You understand, I'm not giving advice, but just telling you what I would do, if you know what I mean! But if MY dog had sutures caused by a dog fight (not a spay surgery or anything like that) I would feel ok to run him a week later. If the dog "popped" a suture, which is unlikely it would not be a big deal. The laceration might open up a little, but that's nothing too. Wounds granulate (heal from the bottom up) so other than keeping them clean they don't require much. Even huge wounds like my Ash dog had - I swear you could drop an egg in it - will heal just fine if kept clean and an antibiotic is given.

Hope this helps,

Jenny

Howdy. I'm sure Hobbes will be glad you're going for it.

Now, what the hell is going on with a dog that runs over and opens up another dog? I've never seen or heard of such a thing. Does this kind of thing happen to other people? Am I leading a sheltered life? What happened between you, the dogs, and the owner after The Incident? Just the facts, ma'am. But we want all the dirt.

charlie torre

Charlie,

It's an urban thing eh? Any combination of strange dogs under varying degrees of control in a common area like a park, in this case the park across the street from my house.

Being a border collie and hence pretty stoic, Hobbes just shook off the stupid brute and kept running. I didn't notice the big hole in his side until after we got in the house. So, no incident to report--yet.

:mad:

A.,

The only reason that I could not run Beau with the stitches in was because of the location. He was ripped right behind the front leg and down the side. When he ran, he pulled on it. (Actually, I may have ran him anyway but the last time I worked him before the accident, he didn't listen at all. It was a good excuse for us!)

He pulled his stitches out anyway and had to be stapled which was not a big deal.

What trial are you entered in? You are going to a trial without me? I am crushed.

Just started lurking on the boards again. Read a loooong 90 + thread on dog behavior with lots and lots of big words on dog behavior. (It started with an aggressive rescue dog.)

Hey, that's a real bummer, Andrea. Don't have any experience, but if Hobbes looks as though he feels like he wants to work, and the wound looks clean, I'd take a chance. (After all, my two escaped through a small hole in a stock fence and went 100 yards down the road to play with some kids - who then took them for a walk - and all this 2 days after de-sexing! - tough dogs - and they're not even working bred!)

Funny it was a golden. Usually that kinda thing is done by a Ger. Shepherd. I'm not being prejudice. I have a shepherd and they are in the habit of grabbing dogs that move past them. When I was a vet tech, we used to see dogs come in all the time from the dog parks with wounds on their sides. Almost every time it was done by a shepherd as the dog ran past them.

Jenny

You don't say what venue you'll be trialing at but if it's AKC I believe that you can't trial a dog that's taped or bandaged or has anything medical attached to it - I'd think that stitches would be included. I wouldn't want to risk being reported to an AKC rep if one happened to be there. Besides, why trial a dog and risk ripping out a stitch and reopening the wound?

Just my opinion.

Certainly the trial is not AKC. I wonder why they came up with the rule about bandaging, etc.? Seems a bit odd, since dogs can and do get hurt in the workaday world, but it certainly doesn't stop them from working (i.e., if my dog rips a pad while working, I don't necessarily put her up. I wrap the foot and keep working). Heck, I've trialled a dog with staples in her leg where she cut it. It's really all about common sense--if working the dog isn't likely to do more damage, then there's really no reason not to work the dog. So why does AKC prohibit it?

J.

If I were running in the trial, I would say that the risks of permanent, irreperable damage to a valuable dog like Hobbes would far outweigh any possible rewards of running in the trial, and that you should scratch your entries forthwith.

That way I might be 28th rather than 29th.

But, since I will be weaning lambs this weekend, I am inclined to take a more honest approach and say that you should exercise your judgment the day of the trial and see how well the wound has healed and make you decision based on that.

3crazybcs wrote:

"You don't say what venue you'll be trialing at but if it's AKC"

It's normally assumed it would not be an AKC trial. This board is sponsored by the USBCC, which is not a pro AKC club.

Objectives of the USBCC are:

To protect the genetic heritage of the Border Collie in the United States.

To promote its use as a traditional working (herding) dog for the better management of livestock.

To encourage identification of breeding stock that is free of genetically passed defects which interfere with working ability.

To encourage participation in activities, whether formal or informal, that promote Border Collies' mental and physical development.

To oppose exhibition of Border Collies in conformation dog shows, breeding to an appearance standard, or registration of unaltered dogs with any organization that sanctions showing Border Collies in conformation classes.

When I said AKC my mind was in agility mode, not herding mode, as I do both. Sorry to have offended. The topic was health and genetics so the "trial" that the poster refered to could have been either. Let's try not to hijack the thread into AKC bashing, not that I'm opposed to it, but in some parts of the country in order to compete in agiility AKC trials are the only option.

Let's try not to hijack the thread into AKC bashing

3crazybcs,

I think it might be a good idea to lurk a while and read the Boards before charging in and telling everyone what they should and should not say about AKC. You're totally welcome here, we're glad to have you and I think you'll enjoy participating here, but if you're looking for an AKC-friendly environment you're in the wrong place.