BC Boards

age to spay

sarah4612

Even tho Fergie was always on leash, she was such a flirt! Worst I've seen since my second daughter. And she loved the big boys - AKC labs, rotties. And they all loved her.

So she was spayed at 5 months. Now she gets rather feisty if a male tries to get too personal. She still loves them all, and loves to play. But she'll not allow too much interest in her nether regions.

My vet said it was best done before the first heat. My older daughter, who is on her 6th or so cat (overlapping by several each time), was originally told to let them have one heat first. She'll never go thru that again!

My understanding is to spay before the first heat and you have a much better chance at avoiding her getting mammary cancer down the road. Both my girls were spayed after and both ended up with mammary cancer during the course of their lives....not saying that's the rule, but with my newest pup, she was promptly spayed before she went into heat.

I know some vets spay very early, 10 weeks up, and while I've seen no ill effects, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Not saying it's wrong, just a lot to take for a little pup....on the other hand, working with rescue, it's also the only way to ensure that the pup will never have a litter.

Maria

My baby is reaching 5 months... I knew it was coming but I am a little bit nervous.

By the way, how do you figure out when the heat is coming? How do you know 'before' heat when it hasn't happen? Is there a sign or do you just determine by age?

Also, how much does a good vet charge usually for neutering/spaying?

• 1 year later...

I can not advise whether before or after is best, sorry. I have been going through the same debate myself recently so I took Penny to the vets.

I have always waited till after the first season however it is becoming more and more common for vets to do it before the first season over here.

Anyway .... my vet advised me, it is a 50/50 debate, half the vets say before, the other half say after. There are pro's and cons whichever time you decide to have it done.

Penny is nearly 14 months and has had slight signs of coming into season but nothing deffinate. My vet said Penny was quite slow to develop and was still quite small and suggested waiting and to have her re examined in 3 months.

Sorry I can't give you a deffinate answer. My best advice would be to talk to your own vet and discuss the pros and cons ... every dog is different.

Best of luck. :rolleyes: