BC Boards

A new dog

My husband and I are talking about gettin another dog in the next few months. We will have had Riven about 6 months around the time we get another, if we decide to. Of course, Riven will have to agree and get along with them, we'll have a trial time and all that. We want another dog because we have no friends with dogs, we know no one with them and we feel like she deserves some doggie companionship since she never gets to socialize with other dogs. We also would like to rescue another BC, and have 2 dogs to do stuff with. Can everyone tell me their thoughts on it. I cant decide if 6 months isnt long enough for Riven, or if it would be good for her to have a play mate or whatever. I dont know, I just want to do what is in her best intrest, but also, I dont want to be limited to one dog, when there are so many out there in need. :confused:

************** Edited to add -

Now that I've typed this out and Riven has came to me, Im thinking I'd really miss the one on one interaction with her. Could I get another dog and still have the one on one with her? Would it somehow change our relationship for the worse? Argh! I dunno!!

I want another dog and tonight my spouse finally agreed that he would like another one, too - maybe next year. :rolleyes: (I was looking at Pet Finder, WBCR and the Salt Lake Animal Shelter and we saw so many animals in need of homes.)

As long as you are prepared emotionally, financially and energy wise to deal with the needs of two dogs, I think that would be great!

Has Riven had much interaction yet with other dogs? If not, you might want to try a little more -- find a dog you can make a play date with or just one that you can socialize her with once in a while. That way it won't be such a shock when she gets a new sibling.

Smiley, the way I look at it is, would a couple only have one child because if they had another they couldn't give the first as much love? Sure, your time will be divided, but I think it is good for dogs to have someone of their species to relate to. If I had the time I would probly have 6! I have two now and Cheyenne was an only dog for 8yrs! But I give her time with just me and her by taken her with me on errands and such. And sometimes I have to just tell Jackson she needs her iching time and he waits! It will work out. It's harder to imagine it than to do it! Good luck!

I spend a lot of one-on-one time with Zoe, but that's in big part because Zeeke spends a lot of one-on-one time either in his crate or with his daddy. I think it's fully possible to spend quality alone time with each, it just takes a little juggling and effort. For a dog itself there are positive and negatives to having a second dog around - I think dogs can and will adapt to either situation well and enjoy it. Zeeke loved being an only dog, got lots of attention and everything - but he also loves having a playmate. It all boils down to what you want, and how much time and effort you feel you can put into it. I think having two dogs isn't twice as much work as having one, as you double up on a lot of things, like feeding times, even some training. (For instance, while I'm teaching Zoe her "down", I have Zeeke practicing his sit-stay.)

Do what your heart tells you. and your hubby's heart... unfortunately we have to listen to them too, lol!

I would wait a while yet and I'll tell you why. Introducing another dog to your pack is best when the pack is settled and stable. Any issues you and Riven have will be amplified and harder to resolve with the addition of another dog. Not only that, but the new dog will be harder to train too.

For instance, I got Fynne a few months after I got Boy. Boy was a really stable dog and had done very, very well in his training.

One problem I had was Fynne barking. She barked at everything, so Boy would bark too. This was especially annoying in the car. It's much harder to stop that type of behavior when they are feeding off eachother.

On the other hand, Boyden had an excellent recall, so Fynne would follow his lead and it made teaching her the recall so much easier.

If I ever get to a point where it's just Fynne in our pack then I don't know what I would do. She's not balanced or stable, and I would not want to bring in a puppy or adult rescue because it would make it that much harder. There would be fights and squabbles and issues galore. The new dog or pup would take cues from her, and I wouldn't want that! She couldn't be the great example to another dog that Boy was to her.

So my advice is to wait until Riven is trained and behaving to your complete satisfaction. How long that will take is up to you. Anything sooner and it will double your trouble. :rolleyes: