BC Boards

Fish Hook Scare

Cheri McDonald

Just back from 10 days in the Sierras camping and fishing. The dogs love it this time of year because no one is up there and they are free from the leash and able to wander up and down the beach at the lake.

Wednesday Briar found a baited fish hook and swallowed it! Frightened me to death, we throw our stuff in the van and race down the mountain to the nearest vet. I'm on the cell phone trying to find one and the bloody operator is saying without a name she can't give me a number. I'm screaming that I don't live here and just need a vet in the area, "PICK ONE"!

Get the vet on the line and he says not to worry to much that he sees this happen all the time during trout season. We took her in and he took an xray. There it was in her tummy. Told us to bulk her up with rice and hamburger and buy some rubber gloves to inspect her piles, that it should pass by Friday. On Friday we still hadn't found it and by this time I had called our vet at home.

We got home Saturday night and off we went this morning to our vet for more pictures. Well the little bugger must have taken a dump without us watching because it was gone!!! Yay! No surgery!

That IS a stressful event. Usually they do pass if they make it to the stomach and if there isn't a big long length of fishing line on them - but not always. So you were smart to check.

We had one recently that came in stuck in the esophagus (a bit trickier, since they have to be removed surgically), and two weeks ago I had a puppy with a nice treble hook embedded in his lip, from which was dangling a big orange cigar-shaped lure. The pup thought he was quite something, trotting around with his big fancy lure swinging jauntily from his lower lip (I guess by then the dismay had worn off for him... and what the hey, it was a chow mix, maybe he didn't notice there was a hook in his lip! Or maybe he thought it was some trendy new fad in piercing...) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cheri McDonald:

Wednesday Briar found a baited fish hook and swallowed it! Frightened me to death

Oh man, do I feel your pain. When Tweed was about 8 weeks old he ate a healthy portion of a lightbulb. I cannot imagine what was tasty about a lighbulb though; at least Briar had the good sense to eat something that smelled good.

My oldest dog is the Best Dog In The World and he drops everything edible he picks up with a quiet command (whereas Tweed has to be hollered at, and Piper just eats it faster). But the other day he picked up something and when I told him to drop it he actually ran away from me and swallowed whatever it was. Must have been good stuff. He seems to have suffered no ill effects though, so I guess we were lucky.

Glad to hear Briar is okay.

RDM

Thanks for posting the heads up, Cheri ? glad Briar is OK.

RDM, every time you post something about your little Piper, I?m sure she must be a soul mate of my little Kirra. Eating it up faster is just what Kirra does - with the cheeky sideways look that says "I think I can get this down before she gets to me". :rolleyes: Fergus will try to run away with things, but he knows ?trade? and will usually drop what he?s got in the hope I?ve got something better.

Originally posted by Tassie:

RDM, every time you post something about your little Piper, I?m sure she must be a soul mate of my little Kirra. Eating it up faster is just what Kirra does

Tonight she scarfed up about 35 pieces of popcorn she found on the walk, in under 4 seconds. She would make an excellent contestant on "Fear Factor" I think.

RDM