BC Boards

Coat change after neutering

Lawgirl

I am not one hundred percent sure this is the right category, but here goes.

We neutered our oldest dog George last year.  He was nine years old, and was starting to potentially have some prostate issues, and the vet recommended it and we agreed to do so.

There have been a couple of changes we have noticed with George.  One is his appetite.  He used to go through periods over late winter/early spring where he would have to be persuaded to eat.  Now he is barking at me to put his bowl down now thank you, with no drop off in appetite.

Of bigger note however has been the change in his coat.  George always has had beautiful, soft, straight coat with a good undercoat that came out easily with brushing.  However, since neutering, his coat has become wavy, and coarser, with a real tendency to mat, which he never used to have.  He used to enjoy being brushed but now it is unpleasant for him.

I assume this is due to the changed hormones, but it was not what I expected, and unfortunately, we did not pick up on the matting early, which caused some scissor work to be required.

Have others here had a similar experience?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Journey

So I read this and then went to Amazon to look up Cowboy Magic.  Says it is for horses, but in the questions, people mention that it can be used on other animals, including dogs.  However, one person said that they do not let it touch their dogs skin.  They spray it on their hands and rub through the coat.  Can you give me any insight on all this?  Should it not be sprayed on?  Should it be limited as to how often it is used?  Is there any concern with using it??  Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!!

11 hours ago, beachdogz said:

Hi Journey

So I read this and then went to Amazon to look up Cowboy Magic.  Says it is for horses, but in the questions, people mention that it can be used on other animals, including dogs.  However, one person said that they do not let it touch their dogs skin.  They spray it on their hands and rub through the coat.  Can you give me any insight on all this?  Should it not be sprayed on?  Should it be limited as to how often it is used?  Is there any concern with using it??  Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ah, sorry, let me expand..I use it in a squirt bottle, yearly with their bath, sprayed on after the shake! If during the year, they get brambles or stickers or just ick, I dry spray them in the areas needed to brush them out. Behind the ears are the worst for mine! So I guess the answer would be no, it doesn't generally get massive skin contact. I cut my spray,  a quarter of the cowboy magic the rest water! Fair warning though..don't use it around slick floors!