BC Boards

renal failure

I just wanted to get some ideas on older dogs with renal disease. My old BC Emmette has been diagnosed with it awhile back. We have been on the special diets, low protein etc.He seems to be holding his own eating pretty well and seems very happy. Just wanted to compare notes if any one else has gone through this.

I guess it depends on what else is going on, but my old dog Pete was in the very early stages---his numbers being only a little off---and that was when we put him on the early kidney diet---the one he did so lousy on. My vet said his numbers were only slightly increased, but it has to start somewhere. He had a several other things going on at the same time though. That was when I took him off the vet recommended diet & put him on Morigins. 9 months later, his kidney function was within the normal range again. That was a year and a half ago, & his levels remain within the normal range.

I'm merely relating our own experience with this issue. Usually, the kidney function numbers don't tend to reverse themselves. They tend to increase, if anything. So I consider us darned lucky.

Vicki