BC Boards

New time buyer

Hello!

I have multiple questions. So we have a 1,600sq foot 2 story house with no yard and we live in a residential area. we are a relatively active family and enjoy the great outdoors. I would love a jogging buddy and someone who could potentially protect me if I am ever in need. I actually grew up with a chihuahua and am a huge dog lover. Chihuahua's arn't very cuddly hahaha so I would also love to have a dog that does not mind cuddling! I have been researching and found that boarder collies are highly intelligent and extremely energetic. I was wondering if a 11 minute jog with about 30ish minutes of off leash time at a dog park and a 20 minute walk per day would be enough for a boarder collie due to its energy? We would be looking at about an 1 hr of exercise per day in the mornings. We also like to go out on the weekends and I am not sure if they are comfortable with staying alone in a house for about 6-8hrs sometimes. I am a  senior in college and am looking at going off to medical school in about 2 years. I would either love to take him along or have him stay with my parents sort of as a replacement for when I'm gone haha. Are there any experienced border collie owners that could offer some advise as to whether this breed would be a good match or if there are other medium sized dogs out there that would also make a great match? advise would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience (and I'm on my third border collie), if you want to spend time with your dog and are willing to include them in your daily activities, you can totally have a border collie. Having said that, all dogs are different and you need to be prepared to meet the needs of the dog you end up with. Maybe your dog will want to jog longer or maybe your dog will hate jogging. As long as you're getting a dog because you want a dog (all the time) and not just because you want a jogging buddy, a border collie can work for you. I'm not sure if I understood that you would be away 6-8 hours every day or just occasionally but if it's every day, that is a lot of time for a dog to spend alone (in my opinion). My dogs have always thrived on being included, whatever it is that we are doing. 

• 2 weeks later...

@nick19, as others have pointed out - though apparently after you stopped looking for replies - you've posted your question to the wrong forum. This one is intended strictly for questions directed to a an experienced stockdog trainer/handler (I'm not even sure they monitor this forum anymore) for questions pertaining to working dogs on livestock.

If you're still considering getting a border collie I'd recommend you repost in the General Border Collie Discussion forum, where I'm sure you'll get some replies.