BC Boards

giardia vaccine?

Dawn Bailey

Years ago I had a dog with chronic giarrdhia.There is three differant types of drugs we had to try to find the one she respnded to.My vet also says it has to do with their immune system because all dogs carry it to a point but fight it.Another thing I found too was what was causing it was the well water here.If you have well water and fill the bowls outside with a gardenhose the best thing is to run the water through the hose a few minutes before filling the bowls to clear the bugs out inside the hose.Another thought too is-are you sure it's giarrdhia and not IBD? If it can be IBD it's just a matter of changing the diet.And lastly I don't believe and neither does my vet believe in vaccinating for everything under the sun.

Sue Barta

Our BC Blaze stated seizuring within days of his 1st and only Giardia Vaccination. Our others BCs didn't have a problem with it; but several of them were diagnosed with Giardia again within a year! Needless to say, we never used the Giardia Vaccination again, even tho it may have had no connection with Blaze's seizures! Our Vet is now treating them (when needed) with panacur.

Barb Scott

I had two dogs who got persistent Giardiasis, mostly because we hike a lot where there's water - being so hot around here. They'd get it two and three and four times a summer. After the vaccine had been out a few years, my vet recommended it. Neither had any reaction that I noticed to the vaccine, but continued to get the disease that season. The next season, it was less. And now its' pretty much non-existent. Can't say if the vaccine finally "took," or they finally shed all the cysts, or we just got smarter and hike in different places now. Guess I'm not convinced it was the vaccine, but no scientific evidence to "prove" anything one way or the other. Just MHO.

diane