BC Boards

Discs !!!!

Hey all,All of Tex's frisbees are totaled,and we LOVE playing disc dog,lol.(new love) Every disc i have had he ters up and its driving me NUTS. Can anyone dive me a good manufactsurer of tuff (perfer plastic) disc dog sertifid frisbees?Thanks sooo much ,we (me and Tex ) are going sture crazy not being able to play disc ,of course we play ball to(every day), thanks agian

BC4Evr,

Justin and Tex

When we competed, we used Fastbacks or Hyperflites. If you want to compete in disc dog, make sure your disc is certified by the santioning organization as a competition disc. Having only done Skyhoundz-sanctioned events, we only usd the aforementioned discs.

Here's a link to the Skyhoundz disc store: Discs

If you're not interested in competing, just want to play disc, then I like those fabric ones. They don't fly as well, but they don't get wrecked as easy either!

Here is a frisbee info place - a lot of the links don't seem to work but I found it helpful:

http://www.dogpatch.org/dogs/frisbee.cfm

The IDDHA homepage:

http://www.iddha.com/index.html

Hope that helps, on some of the sites they sell disc too.

I just picked a new disc up from PetSmart, hard plastic with this nub thing on the bottom that makes it easier for the dog to pick it up off the ground. Played with it twice and no cracks or teeth marks yet, usually that's about as long as a frisbee lasts us :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BeezSK:

...Played with it twice and no cracks or teeth marks yet, usually that's about as long as a frisbee lasts us :rolleyes:

Totally! At his peak of training, we were going through 3 discs per 20 minute session. Bear has what one competitor kindly called "a committed grip". Later, that kind of commitment would come to haunt us on stock, where it is not so desirable!

I just ordered some 'fastback' frisbees from wright-life and I noticed they're pretty hard. For some reason I was expecting them to be flexible, did I get the wrong ones?

I hope that Sadie will eventually compete in freestyle competitions with me so I wanted to start her with the right discs, so I wanted to be sure.

Are dog discs hard, or are they flexible?

Fastbacks are soft plastic but not pliable like rubber. Have her fetch one and check out how she leaves teeth marks in it right off. That's correct - her teeth should sink in and not chunk out sharp divots like the hard frisbees get.

The fastback is light and rigid, which is what is needed for long distance throws and precision freestyle tosses. You also need this for the rollers and low flyers (I think Sadie is young?) which you'll want to do until she is old enough to jump.

Keep more than one in use at a time and teach her to "drop" on command or in a particular place in relation to you - these will save wear and tear on the discs, and her teeth. You'll also have a leg up (so to speak) on the freestyle training.

Oh, and you can get fastbacks for practice ridiculously cheap at Discovering The World - order the misprints and you can get 50 for around $80 or $90. It's really great if you can get a couple pals to go in with you, of course, unless your dog is REALLY aggressive or you are a very serious competitor!

Ooops, just noticed two other people mentioned DTW. Oh, well. They ARE good. Rachel, I've got to get some discs from you I think! This is a super place for frisbee and I'm going to teach Ann now that she's far enough along on sheep.

Thanks so much, it makes me feel better about it. After I read your post, I took a fingernail to one and easily scarred it. She is still way too young to jump, 4.5 months I think, and she actually just sprained her ankle by jumping off a couch. (not a behavior we encourage by any means, she was chasing my mother-in-law's sheltie Fiona, who had her ball).

Anyways, she's grounded for at least a week. The vet said not to worry about it, but it's so hard to ignore that pitiful whimper when she wants to play ball but can't. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the feedback. I ordered 3 mis-prints and will see how fast she goes through them. Then maybe someone around here will want to go in on 100 with me.

I have a rubberish disc I got from Petsupermarket and Petco. They are generally $12 each. Works great. A Rottweiler and I got into a tug of war competition with the frisbee. Didn't tear it a bit.

The best ones I ever had I got from Oldnavy from Halloween. Glow in the dark. I had 6 ($1 each) but donated 1 to the bottom of a pond. 3 to the local dog park. 1 into shreds. And the last one is at a friends house down in Savannah.

I'm thinking of competing my dog when he gets older in disc. I'm wanting to get sort of the official disc or equipment best for competing. Next time there is a disc/agility competition in Georgia I'm going to try and go to it. Then talk with some people and see what they have.